Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:09 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,474,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
However, is this 100% black and white or can exceptions be made? I was at the ER Sunday night and didn't come to work on Monday. Came in today with a doctor's note but they don't care. So now I lost holiday pay plus Monday's pay. Just curious if these rules are made to be broken or if it's a law or whatever.
I think if I were the manager and you brought me proof of your ER stay and a doctor's note saying to stay home Monday, I would waive it. But sometimes we are dealing with upper-level HR management and they make the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,294,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
he already did ask. I would not press the issue since they clearly expressed no sympathy.

Yes, he said he came in with a doctor's note, and 'they didn't care'. What else is there to ask?

As for PTO, I have worked at companies with PTO and this was still standard practice.

I have never worked anywhere where it wasn't.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:40 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,345,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Well, for some, a few hundred bucks can be the difference between covering your bills for the month or not. So while only the OP can know how the company will react to the question, if it's phrased delicately enough, I don't think it hurts to ask if an exception can be made.
Is that really a risk worth taking when your continued employment is at-will? It is even harder to pay your bills when you lose your job. I know many people that would tell the employee to pack up and leave, the question has already been asked and answered. IMO, the best thing for the OP to do is accept the answer they have already been given and move on. At this point, it is like A Few Good Men when Demi Moore "strenuously objects" after the judge already overruled the same objection.

I know exactly what my former boss would do in this situation. The OP would be carrying a box out to their car and hoping that they are allowed to collect unemployment while they look for a new job.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:07 PM

407 posts, read 371,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Is that really a risk worth taking when your continued employment is at-will? It is even harder to pay your bills when you lose your job. I know many people that would tell the employee to pack up and leave, the question has already been asked and answered. IMO, the best thing for the OP to do is accept the answer they have already been given and move on. At this point, it is like A Few Good Men when Demi Moore "strenuously objects" after the judge already overruled the same objection.

I know exactly what my former boss would do in this situation. The OP would be carrying a box out to their car and hoping that they are allowed to collect unemployment while they look for a new job.
Which is why I stated that only the OP would know how the company react. If they would react like your former boss, it would be wise to leave it be. But not all companies/bosses are the same. OP needs to take that all into consideration when deciding to pursue or not.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,838,984 times
I've never worked for a company where this was a policy and I've worked for both very large and very small companies. While the intent is understood, it makes no sense to refuse to make exceptions where the employee has proof that they were actually ill as opposed to just claiming to be ill in order to take a long weekend. Only the OP knows the environment where they work and whether it's a risk to ask for an exception. I also didn't see anywhere that the OP said it was a large company. If they are a good employee and an asset, then it would be silly for the company to not make an exception, or worse, fire the OP for asking for an exception to be made.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:02 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,425,090 times
we get five weeks vacation, so we had one gut take every monday off for the 25 weeks. according to company policy, it was legal, but it put everybody else in a bind covering for him. he became number one lay off. Boss say, we really just dont need you

so it it written, that still doesnt make it right. maybe it was written to keep people from laying out. we get paid for day after turkey day, but we have to clock in for one minute. He does that just in case there something that has to be covered. last 33 years, nothing needed to be covered, but we was there just in case

Old 11-29-2017, 05:35 PM

6,935 posts, read 3,984,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

Scheduled days off are fine - but not unscheduled (or unexcused) absences. I was on leave all last week and still received my holiday pay. If I called out Monday, I lost them and would have had to use leave.

Wow... That's total BS. I'm glad my employer doesn't operate that way. He's extremely generous with PTO and extra time for holidays - we're getting a 4-day weekend for Christmas this year, and this won't be the 1st time he's done that since I've been working there. That's why his turnover rate is very low, to the point where we have employees with 25-48 year tenures. I'm in my 16th year.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,709,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I've never worked for a company where this was a policy and I've worked for both very large and very small companies. While the intent is understood, it makes no sense to refuse to make exceptions where the employee has proof that they were actually ill as opposed to just claiming to be ill in order to take a long weekend. Only the OP knows the environment where they work and whether it's a risk to ask for an exception. I also didn't see anywhere that the OP said it was a large company. If they are a good employee and an asset, then it would be silly for the company to not make an exception, or worse, fire the OP for asking for an exception to be made.
I think we may have different ideas on what a large company is. GE, GM, and Exxon are large companies. Do you think they would pay him?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:11 PM

289 posts, read 452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Terrible idea, you will come across like a whining drama queen. The holiday pay you are losing can only be a few hundred bucks maximum. Is your job security and reputation worth that?
It's actually not too difficult to have an adult conversation without coming off like a whiny drama queen.

I'm not getting fired over this, trust me.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:15 PM

289 posts, read 452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
OP, how large is your company? Did they recently switch from categorized time off (vacation, sick, personal) to a combined "PTO" bank?

If it's a small enough company, it's worth bringing up. This scenario may be something they hadn't considered when creating/updating the policy. If you don't ask, then they may never even realize that their policy played out like this.

In any case, Jack is absolutely right. This employer isn't garnering any loyalty by being stingy like this.
Pretty large: just looked them up and they have about 8000 employees across the country. All time off is in one PTO bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment