Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM

189 posts, read 173,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacles View Post
If the work is getting done then the employer might not care. It sounds like you are the only person bothered by it. Maybe it's time for you to stop worrying about what you think other people should do and mind your own business.
As stated in my original post....it’s a different dept. and the supervisor is a friend who was tells me about it because she is bothered by it. I just an here go other opinions. The mind your own business answer are cliche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM

254 posts, read 463,625 times
If they are able to talk on the phone 3 hours a day and still be as productive as the other employees I'd give them a raise.

I don't care what you do while you work-- listen to music, watch TV, talk on the phone-- if you are productive, you are productive, and that is all that matters.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:28 PM

6,490 posts, read 7,856,836 times
No, I am not ok with that at all.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:34 PM

13,304 posts, read 8,545,330 times
My Mother raised all us adults to "never talk personal calls at work". And strangely we always thought it taboo to call her at work. If we couldn't figure out a resolution without her then she felt she didn't raise us right.

I only ever called my spouse twice in my career: Once when I told him to meet me at the hospital as I was in labor ( I was working the night my water broke) , and the other time was when our son had an incident at school that we both needed to rush to attend. OTherwise Work is not to be interrupted. ANd I've worked the varying jobs to know that no matter the job, there was ALWAYS busy work to do! talking to family or friends was NOT part of the job description or duties...

I had two co workers that enjoyed talking with family thru out the day....and yes it interfered with Invoices needing done or clients to be contacted. The supervisor kept saying : Hey! They've been here longer then you so don't you worry about them. I said: Nope, we both clocked in at 7:30 AM so they haven't been here longer. You've just tolerated there phone time longer :P (In Jeff Foxworthy tone: and Here's Your sign)

Old 11-30-2017, 05:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,714,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
A coworker is sometimes on personal calls for hours throughout the day. A supervisor who is also my friend tells me about it (different dept) but hasn’t done anything. She is on the work phone sometimes for 3 hours talking while placing orders and answering emails. She thinks it is ok because she is still getting her work done. I personally think you should not be on personal calls during company time for that long and almost everyday. Sometimes she walks around the office talking if she needs to go the bathroom or kitchen etc....
Also, how does someone have that much to talk about?
I wouldn't worry about her at all. If she's a bad employee, she'll eventually be let go. Stick to your own work.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,122,655 times
2-3 hours of personal calls is excessive. Not only is it a distraction to the worker, but others around them.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,261,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
2-3 hours of personal calls is excessive. Not only is it a distraction to the worker, but others around them.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not a supervisor but would be majorly annoyed by a coworker blabbing about personal stuff for hours. Especially if it's an open office environment. It's not a matter of productivity, it's just inconsiderate and rude IMHO.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,478,571 times
I would fire someone for taking personal calls.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 PM

10,643 posts, read 12,235,547 times
OP, if your friend is the talkative worker's supervisor and she's bothered by it.... then why doesn't she come up with some additional work for this chatty co-worker to do.

If you can chat on the phone for three hours a day then you don't have enough work to do...AND the person to address that is the employee's boss or supervisor. (That boss shouldn't even need to discuss it with or mention it to you -- just add more duties and work to this persons list of things to do.)

I know if I were a supervisor I'd be thinking, "Oh you clearly don't have enough work to do. So I can clearly give you more assignments."

Old 12-01-2017, 05:19 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,974,999 times
Nobody would say that's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment