Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:02 AM

189 posts, read 173,228 times

Advertisements

A coworker is sometimes on personal calls for hours throughout the day. A supervisor who is also my friend tells me about it (different dept) but hasn’t done anything. She is on the work phone sometimes for 3 hours talking while placing orders and answering emails. She thinks it is ok because she is still getting her work done. I personally think you should not be on personal calls during company time for that long and almost everyday. Sometimes she walks around the office talking if she needs to go the bathroom or kitchen etc....
Also, how does someone have that much to talk about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,158,407 times
Definitely not ok with me, as a supervisor or coworker. Even more so if they're tying up a line that's only to be used for business calls. It's also rude if a coworker, supervisor, or customer needs to speak with the employee about a work-related matter.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,920 posts, read 81,979,720 times
When an employee is paid for time they were not working, it's called "theft of time", even if the work is getting done. I do not stand over every employee and monitor what they are doing all day, nor do we have software for that purpose, but if I suspect significant time being spent on personal calls, online activities, or even 'visiting" I will talk to the person, remind them of the work rules, and pay closer attention. Failure to comply will result in a performance improvement plan and eventually even firing. With either 1/2 hour or 1 hour for lunch and two breaks a day people have plenty of time to talk on their personal calls, and I have no problem with a short 5 minute call a few times a day. Your post asking about "hours" on personal calls would not be tolerated.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:11 AM

12,125 posts, read 23,430,114 times
Do you have a policy on personal phone use?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 AM

114 posts, read 93,821 times
If the work is getting done then the employer might not care. It sounds like you are the only person bothered by it. Maybe it's time for you to stop worrying about what you think other people should do and mind your own business.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:32 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,098,140 times
Almost all the supervisors here take personal calls themselves. Our QA Supervisor FaceTimes his little kids every morning after they wake up (He's not away from home). Most people have taken quick calls, but they are on their own cell phones. I had my dentist call once and had to answer it, it wasn't a big deal.

Now hours of personal conversations daily? No, I wouldn't be okay with it, but if they don't mind I guess that's on them..

Old 11-30-2017, 01:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,992,071 times
Hourly, no...exempt, yes, assuming you put in extra often and will make up the time. And your conversation doesn't disrupt other's work flow or delays them getting work done.

It will require that supervisors supervise though...some don't want to do that. Because of that people take advantage sometimes. I admit I do on occasion, but then I do put in some after work hours fairly often.

Sounds like the problem isn't so much with taking a long call once in awhile as is being a bad employee. Again supervisory issue.

And to the hard types who say "no personal stuff at work" I say to you this. Life is more complex now than in the past, sometimes life happens. If you don't allow employees to respond you will lose some of your best and brightest. Maybe some of you don't work in industries where that is important. I'd argue you will be supervising robots soon in those industries so my thoughts there really don't apply

Old 11-30-2017, 01:22 PM

6,991 posts, read 4,012,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When an employee is paid for time they were not working, it's called "theft of time", even if the work is getting done. I do not stand over every employee and monitor what they are doing all day, nor do we have software for that purpose, but if I suspect significant time being spent on personal calls, online activities, or even 'visiting" I will talk to the person, remind them of the work rules, and pay closer attention. Failure to comply will result in a performance improvement plan and eventually even firing. With either 1/2 hour or 1 hour for lunch and two breaks a day people have plenty of time to talk on their personal calls, and I have no problem with a short 5 minute call a few times a day. Your post asking about "hours" on personal calls would not be tolerated.
OK, so I am at work, all of my tasks have been completed (unless someone gives me something else to do in the next hour and 38 minutes), and the phone isn't ringing at the moment, so I have no calls to switch over to sales, purchasing, etc.

How am I "stealing time?" If there's nothing to be done, there's nothing to be done. That is just HOW IT IS in clerical/receptionist work sometimes.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,195,288 times
None of your business, but no, I would not allow this.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:34 PM

29,558 posts, read 22,915,752 times
Just what we need, another busy body worrying about others when they need to mind their own business.

If it doesn't directly affect you, then either MYOB or find another job if it's going to stress you out that much.

The fact that the supervisor hasn't done anything is clue enough you need to let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment