Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 04:27 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times

Advertisements

I would say small business. It just seems more personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Absolute BS!

We take care of ourselves first and everyone else is equal as far as being beggars at the gate. Employees, vendors, stock holder... they are all the same once we decide to cash out our windfall.

We pick this time of year because it saves us from having to deal with fiances (even if only for one day) of a new year. It's also a nice time because we have time to now do some decent holiday shopping without any burden of the business. Plus we get so much free time to celebrate happily with our own family and friends with no worry about new years profits. Of course, many of the luxury vacation resorts actually have less bookings due to the holidays so we can get a whole lot of personalize butt kissing we deserve. It takes so much stress off us that it's the most logical time to shut the doors. There just isn't any downside to shuttering this time of the year.

Happy Holidays to us!

Yea their is.. Call wait till after xmas or better yet.. move your 4th qt in sept. Im sure their are ways you can change your finances were it doesnt have to impact your employees when it comes to lay off. Just because its the end of the year, you need to make changes NOW. Only time i can see somebody closing up shop, if they cant afford the light bill at their own house.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Probably family fim is worse. Corporations often give you better severance. But I don't think the Holidays are the layoff season. In fact if they need to layoff 10 by year end they might layoff 11 by Thanksgiving so they don't have to do it until next year. Bad for image, plus HR takes unused vacation then.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea their is.. Call wait till after xmas or better yet.. move your 4th qt in sept. Im sure their are ways you can change your finances were it doesnt have to impact your employees when it comes to lay off. Just because its the end of the year, you need to make changes NOW. Only time i can see somebody closing up shop, if they cant afford the light bill at their own house.
It's MY business, not the employees!
I call the shots concerning MY business, not the employees!
You are just an employee with no say in MY business!

Why do you feel I have to worry about you??? Employees are just that employees; workers paid to do a job. You are not my Friend! Your are not my Family! You are not my Partner! You are a paid employee and only a paid employee. When it comes time to close or downsize a business, these decisions are made based on the needs of the business and myself, not your personal life. The quicker employees learn their place the better it will be for you.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Actually, no most businesses can't change their fiscal year. Depending on the type of incorporation they are, it's determined by the government. The end of the year is December 31st for you for payroll and for most businesses for tax purposes.

How does a company change their finances so it doesn't impact employees? Companies are in business to make money. That's the sole purpose of being a business. Businesses aren't in business to make employees happy.

Employees can also have a negative or a positive impact on a company. Some employees suck and some are phenonemal. Poor employees have a negative impact on a company. Poor sales have a negative impact on a company.

You don't sound like someone who's ever run a business or owned a business. Owning a business isn't a piece of cake. It's a lot of hard work, sleepless nights, no vacations, no sick days, no paycheck when starting out, etc.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Why do you feel I have to worry about you??? Employees are just that employees; workers paid to do a job. You are not my Friend! Your are not my Family! You are not my Partner! You are a paid employee and only a paid employee. When it comes time to close or downsize a business, these decisions are made based on the needs of the business and myself, not your personal life. The quicker employees learn their place the better it will be for you.
So you will quickly denied a person pay raise for doing a great job and saving your business so you can go buy that shiny new car? Remember, your employees can make or break your business on how they are being treated as well. I get it that your in the business for making money, but when is enough money going to make you happy when your employees are in the soup line because you didnt pay them enouhg for loaf of bread. Yea they might live beyond their means, but have you really look at those that do live below their means and still struggle due to cost of living going up, but not their checks. WE cant control the ligh bill, water bill or even gas prices.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Actually, no most businesses can't change their fiscal year. Depending on the type of incorporation they are, it's determined by the government. The end of the year is December 31st for you for payroll and for most businesses for tax purposes.

How does a company change their finances so it doesn't impact employees? Companies are in business to make money. That's the sole purpose of being a business. Businesses aren't in business to make employees happy.

Employees can also have a negative or a positive impact on a company. Some employees suck and some are phenonemal. Poor employees have a negative impact on a company. Poor sales have a negative impact on a company.

You don't sound like someone who's ever run a business or owned a business. Owning a business isn't a piece of cake. It's a lot of hard work, sleepless nights, no vacations, no sick days, no paycheck when starting out, etc.

I never own a business, but i have been in a position were i had to make business choices and huge contracts. Pretty much the "right hand" person for a mulit-dollar company. I know numbers and what it does take. I even was able to sign off on a 2.4m cashier check to a individual for a contract. He was to take that money and pay his people a increase in wages for doing the good work. Nope he deposit in his account and went out and got a second house. Told my boss we will never again do any more dealings with that person and he agree. Sometimes owners can be too greedy and forget how they got were they are today. The consumer and their employees..

Old 12-08-2017, 05:33 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
So you will quickly denied a person pay raise for doing a great job and saving your business so you can go buy that shiny new car? Remember, your employees can make or break your business on how they are being treated as well. I get it that your in the business for making money, but when is enough money going to make you happy when your employees are in the soup line because you didnt pay them enouhg for loaf of bread. Yea they might live beyond their means, but have you really look at those that do live below their means and still struggle due to cost of living going up, but not their checks. WE cant control the ligh bill, water bill or even gas prices.
I agree that you reap what you sow. Happy employees are more productive. That said, Rabritta's response was to your original statement. Which to me, can be perceived as business is strictly there to provide jobs and be accountable to the financial needs of the employees. Essentially placing judgement based on your POV - how much money is enough is not for you to decide, nor how that money is spent.

At the most basic level. It's simply a business agreement. Payment for services rendered. There is no obligation for a business to consider your personal well being just as you don't put any thought into how their business is doing. But in the end - it is a symbiotic relationship. Business can't function without human resources, and employees don't have a job without the business.

Again, you definitely should treat everyone with respect and compassion. But that goes both ways.

As with the soup line comment. There is obvious a hint of bitterness or bias there as you are implying that these employers are the sole reason their employees are going to the soup line. No - you can't control the cost of water or gas bills (but neither can the business). But you do control your own abilities to afford those things.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
Definitely corporate for me as that has been my adult employment experience.

I was fired from a family owned business. My father owned a drugstore in a small town. My brother and I were required to work in it every summer. During the summer of my senior year in high school he told me that if I continued to show up late I would be fired. I showed up late the next day, was fired, and spent the remainder of my summer at the lake with my friends.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:

Have to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment