Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 16,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I've never experienced this -- so I have a couple questions if you don't mind. Have you gone on job interviews and the employer actually states they want you enter an unpaid internship program? Do they advertise it this way?
Most advertise it that way but some don't saying anything until the interview. Like I said I've experienced it and so have some friends, so it's not just them not liking the applicant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 11:16 AM

3,245 posts, read 2,480,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Medical assistants make $30K a year...

So I agree with OP, its totally insane to expect people to work for free for a year with a career that has a $30K ROI on it and little development potential.

The whole "unpaid internship" thing used to be pretty routine in the television business, but Department of Labor cracked down on it. I know it was also extremely common in parts of the non-profit/arts world, and I'm not sure if they have the same rules.
In non profits they call it volunteering. Some will do this as a means to get back into the work force and have some references in the future but I would look carefully at doing this for a for profit company. If it is for say a month or so to see if you and they work out and you are trying to get into another field or back into the work force it might be advantageous of you to do so but to do so for a longer period of time with not just a non guarantee that they will hire you but a most likely they won't hire you, walk away. Hell, sometimes even people who start a company to work for themselves will to do a job for a client or two in the beginning for free to get references but they won't, if they want to succeed, do this forever or again for that client. If you are switching jobs or even going for a step up based on previous experience, there is no reason to do a internship, never mind free. Your resume should speak for itself.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:17 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,354,050 times
Im not sure if this counts but I did a desktop support internship in school and I got college units for it instead of money

Fair deal but it was required we did an internship before we graduate college and it definately help me get my foot in the door.

No one forces you to work for free but unpaid intermships are ways to get your foot in the door.

Also if you taking a salaried exempt job you work until the job is done
Don't like it? Don't take the job simple as that

Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,025,331 times
Unpaid internships for a foot in the door to a place that is ultimately going to outsource all your jobs especially IT (Hell most of them are gone anyways never to return). Whenever I have to speak with an IT rep, they are generally in Pakistan, India, South America.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,462,727 times
Unpaid internships are a scam. I'd bet the vast majority of them never turn into a full time job. And I'd bet most of them won't even offer references for the person who worked for free. So you'd basically get nothing out of it. You wouldn't even get valuable work experience, because you'd be doing "gopher" type work - fetching lunches, cleaning out the breakroom, low level clerical work, etc. They wouldn't give you any real valuable training to give you more knowledge of the industry. And they'd probably try to get rid of you as soon as they got even a hint that you weren't satisfied with the work and no pay.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:50 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,025,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Unpaid internships are a scam. I'd bet the vast majority of them never turn into a full time job. And I'd bet most of them won't even offer references for the person who worked for free. So you'd basically get nothing out of it. You wouldn't even get valuable work experience, because you'd be doing "gopher" type work - fetching lunches, cleaning out the breakroom, low level clerical work, etc. They wouldn't give you any real valuable training to give you more knowledge of the industry. And they'd probably try to get rid of you as soon as they got even a hint that you weren't satisfied with the work and no pay.

Yep.. We don't need to give greedy corporations any more reason to keep playing it cheap. If they could have their way, everyone would be working for free

Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 PM

34,266 posts, read 17,341,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed1837 View Post
I’ve been look around at different jobs in my field (medical assisting, nothing elite). So many employers in my area expect you to work an unpaid internship there, anywhere from 6 months to one year without paying you a cent! And if you’re “lucky” enough to get a job there after they pay a whole $8.15 an hour. Or you’re expected to work Saturdays for free ,oh, I’m sorry as a 10 hour “volunteer day”.

My husband works in a completely different field and he’s even being asked to work a extra 4 to 5 hours a week again unpaid. I’ve heard similar stories from friends and family, why is this suddenly seen as ok?
Is your husband exempt?

Outside on internships and tipped staff, the average paid must equal or exceed minimum wage.

If it does not, and normal work done on Saturdays, get the request to work it and the $10paid in an email.
DOL would find it very interesting-Wage Complaint Division.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,792,953 times
Working more hours for free is nothing new. Most managers are required to work more than 40 hours a week, but are salaried so no over time. When my husband travels for work he'll work 14-16 hour days, he doesn't get paid for those extra hours, but his annual salary is very good so he doesn't mind working more hours here and there.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:06 PM

34,266 posts, read 17,341,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Working more hours for free is nothing new. Most managers are required to work more than 40 hours a week, but are salaried so no over time. When my husband travels for work he'll work 14-16 hour days, he doesn't get paid for those extra hours, but his annual salary is very good so he doesn't mind working more hours here and there.
As long as DOL criteria is met, it is legal.

But there are guidelines. In NYC, minimum salary to possibly be exempt $50,700. Must have discretion in job functions, not rote tasks.

If interns provide employer value, they generally must be paid in accordance with local me laws.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,509,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Unpaid internships are nothing new.
I thought they cracked down on that a few years ago since they were so badly abused. They have to meet strict educational criteria ie the business derives no immediate benefit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment