Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,038,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
While a candy cane certainly sux.. complaining about it would be petty... complaining about it at work would be dumb...
It appears that ship has sailed.
This was exactly my thought. Yes, the gift sucked, but complaining about it to co-workers is VERY petty and not smart at all considering co-workers talk to each other. It definitely got back to that person even without them being in ear shot of you complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 AM

5,484 posts, read 4,128,378 times
OP, I think you need to buy yourself some nice things. Or adopt a needy family and buy them some things. Get more into the spirit of the holiday than this stupid SS gift.

I think I might have gotten sarcastic and said, "Oh, a candy cane!! gee, I hope they didn't spend too much money on it!" and make a big fuss over it for laughs. But I do have an evil side....

Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,226,499 times
Yeah, sorry to say and to use your own term, I do think you're being a "brat" about it. Seriously now, is it really THAT important what some secret santa at work gets you? This isn't some family member or close friend that should know better. Its just some dumb xmas thing that some offices do. I wouldn't give a flip what some co-worker gives me, or take it to heart, or be insulted, or complain. If I'm that hard up for a gift, I'd probably just go shopping for myself and get over it.

Besides, there may be information that you don't know... like, maybe this person was completely strapped for cash and was forced to participate because it's expected and didn't have the resources at the time to get you something that would pass muster with you. This is what I hate about these work do's.. you really have no choice but to participate, no matter what your financial situation is. Besides, the whole point of secret santa is that is supposed to be secret - as in anonymous. No need to try to figure out who gave you such an insulting and cheap gift.

Probably your biggest error was actually complaining to your work mates about it. Ever heard of "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"? In this case, you should have just gracefully and quietly accepted the gift and if you can't find it within yourself to say a single kind word, just say nothing. To anyone at work.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are taking this way too seriously. It's supposed to be a light-hearted, fun thing to do. Best to not have expectations about receiving. As long as you're giving a nice gift as a secret santa, that's really all that matters. Better to give than to receive. If you keep this simple phrase in mind, you will be a lot happier!

Now go have a wonderful Christmas with those who know how to give a gift you'll really enjoy, and forget about this petty work crap. Maybe use the candy cane to decorate a wrapped gift to a loved one!

Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,653,778 times
I hope this person got a gumball as a gift.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 AM

13,431 posts, read 28,841,929 times
Office parties, office pot lucks and secret santas NEVER participated

Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM

5,990 posts, read 6,834,710 times
I've played Secret Santa where the giver gives several little surprise gifts, then a bigger gift at the end. Maybe this was the case? It was more fun, finding a candy, or a little card, or a little silly desk toy, and then perhaps a scarf or a book at the end.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 AM

2,337 posts, read 2,611,590 times
Hey, it's Christmas. Just let it go. This isn't anything worth worrying about.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,198,467 times
wow when I think of all the nice gifts I have received year after year at secret santas . One year I received I know a 60 dollar sweater I was floored and the man who picked my name said his wife picked it out and she never told him that the sweater was that expensive ( I saw the price tag and offered to return it , I felt bad over that one ). It was a beautiful cashmere sweater and I wore that thing for years and it lasted over the years . I guess he had just assumed that it cost what they were told to spend . Then the following year a man also picked my name out of the can and his wife asked him what I liked , he said he told her I don't know but she smells awful good all the time LOL he said he would never live that one down because she wanted to know what he was doing smelling another woman LOL . oye vay . I have had some fun over those ss gifts . But the candy cane is an awful gift and super cheap . I would have been miffed too . I would not participate next year and then see who he gets and see if they get another cheap gift .

Last edited by phonelady61; 12-07-2017 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM

20,128 posts, read 9,650,190 times
I think the main point is that it was VOLUNTARY. If someone cannot afford to participate in a voluntary activity, then imo, they shouldn't do so.

And, yes, the OP said the MAXIMUM was $20, but I think any reasonable person would think in that case, that the minimum would be $10 -- and there are plenty of gifts for even less than $10 that appear to cost more. (For example, gloves on sale or clearance, or a jumbo mug filled with goodies, homemade or otherwise.) I think that a candy cane is a cheap gift, no matter how one looks at it -- unless, possibly, it is a jumbo sized-gourmet type -- and I don't know of many adults who would actually like that for a gift.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,653,778 times
Even if they are poor and could only afford a $2 candy cane:

1. They should not have participated. Who cares if everyone else is.

2. If you are poor and MUST participate then go to a dollar store or clearance section and pick something up for a few bucks that at least was once closer to $20 or appears to be more expensive than you paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment