Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,264,701 times

Advertisements

Hey, I think that the people calling the OP a brat are wrong.

ALL of the Secret Santa gift exchanges that I have participated in over the years the participants gave gifts that were very close to or even over the maximum.

In fact, at several places there was the "unwritten understanding" that people would buy gifts on sale or with Kohl's cash and give gifts that were much more expensive than the maximum allowed. So, if the maximum was $20, almost all of the gifts that were exchanged would actually be closer to $35 or $40 gifts.

Now, that may not be the case at the OPs place of employment but giving a $2 candy cane when the gift limit was $20 was tacky, tacky, tacky. This is especially apparent when the OP said that the gift giver routinely spends $20 a day ordering in lunch (so they are obviously not pinching pennies).

I can see why the OP was disappointed.

However, IMHO, she should not have complained to co-workers right now just in case the candy cane was just the first, minor gift and the Secret Santa was planning on giving her the major gift closer to Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,845,133 times
this is why my office has $20 minimum not limit on gift exchange.

But honestly you can say bah humbug but I'm sick of being pressured into these things. I have to do 2 white elephants, 2 adopt a families and 2 pot lucks at my job due working with different teams. None of them are mandatory but people that run them are definitely taking mental notes about who participates. So I end up spending more on holiday stuff at work then I do on my wife's christmas present. It's especially unfair when people don't have a lot of extra money and do have their own kids and families to buy for. If companies want to celebrate then open up the purse strings and have a traditional holiday party where the company pays for everything and people just have a good time

Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM

6,588 posts, read 8,459,051 times
I'm the organizer of my office's "Secret Santa" gift exchange which is completely voluntary and about 1/3 of the office participates in. If I hear of someone complaining of a gift that they received, the complainer will not be invited to participate next year. It completely ruins the spirit in which this exchange is supposed to embody.

Years ago at our "reveal" party, one of our participants made a tactless remark to the entire group which was hurtful and embarrassing to the giver. What she didn't realize is that it made her look bad, not him.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,483,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If I hear of someone complaining of a gift that they received, the complainer will not be invited to participate next year. It completely ruins the spirit in which this exchange is supposed to embody.
What about the cheapskate that gets a $2 candy cane instead of a decent gift? Doesn't that ruin the spirit too?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I'm the organizer of my office's "Secret Santa" gift exchange which is completely voluntary and about 1/3 of the office participates in. If I hear of someone complaining of a gift that they received, the complainer will not be invited to participate next year. It completely ruins the spirit in which this exchange is supposed to embody.

Years ago at our "reveal" party, one of our participants made a tactless remark to the entire group which was hurtful and embarrassing to the giver. What she didn't realize is that it made her look bad, not him.
Wait until they go to HR or sue the company for discrimination for not being included

Old 12-07-2017, 01:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,304,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I've played Secret Santa where the giver gives several little surprise gifts, then a bigger gift at the end. Maybe this was the case? It was more fun, finding a candy, or a little card, or a little silly desk toy, and then perhaps a scarf or a book at the end.
I thought that might be what was going on too, especially since it is only the 7th.
Personally, if it were me giving a series of treats to you OP, I would stop right at this candy cane, and donate anything else to a homeless shelter.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:50 PM

6,588 posts, read 8,459,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What about the cheapskate that gets a $2 candy cane instead of a decent gift? Doesn't that ruin the spirit too?
Maybe I'm different but it personally would not bother me. I would likely hang it on my Christmas tree and call it an ornament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Wait until they go to HR or sue the company for discrimination for not being included
And what protected class would this fall under?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm different but it personally would not bother me. I would likely hang it on my Christmas tree and call it an ornament.

And what protected class would this fall under?
The protected class where anyone today can say that you made them feel uncomfortable at work therefore it's harassment

Old 12-07-2017, 02:22 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,871,867 times
I'm glad I don't work in some of your offices lol. Anyway, I am totally over it today and I think the person thought anything up to the amount is totally fine... I don't remember her ever participating in SS in any previous years to begin with. It might not even BE the person I am thinking about who gave it to me. I put my foot in my mouth complaining about it and honestly not proud of that at all. I know it's so lame, but I look forward to my secret santa gift every holiday season. The only other year I was disappointed was when I got a book about the history of punk music, which I thought made no sense, but at the same time it was a book that I got about halfway through and enjoyed, I can't say the same about a candy cane though, but in the end it's all kinda funny and I need to get over myself and my secret santa entitlement.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,483,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I look forward to my secret santa gift every holiday season.
If you'll DM me your name and address, I'll be happy to send you a gift since you don't have any family. Nobody should go without on Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment