Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,528,982 times

Advertisements

^^^ argee. Same way with cookie exchanges. Cheap ladies buying cookies and then taking home a bunch of home made ones. We had to atually say, if you don' bake, you aren't invited. First year they thought we were kidding till we kicked them out. They were just being cheap and classless. Go home and eat you oreos.

I think the secret santas where you regift something you got in the past is more fun. Then those gifts end up being regifted the next year etc. The idea is who can get and give the most hideous gift. Everyone is in on the joke so its fun. One gift that has shown up for 20+ year is this klennex contianer someone made out of a plastic webbing and it closes with a golf course tee. Bought at a craft fair. Of course it has yarn on it, a few golf course design things like flag, ball, 19th hole etc. Sew into the webbing. God it is ugly. but funny. Everyone laughs when someone opens it. Sometimes it make an apprarance as a gift at a divorce party. We all paniced when it disapeered for a couple years. Were happy to see it return.

Yes a candy cane is pretty low.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 12-07-2017 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:15 AM

8,285 posts, read 8,696,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Very rude, selfish & tacky. Some people are very selfish, they only join these gift exchanges to get gifts, & do not want to spend the money or the time on buying an appropriate gift. I hope they are not allowed to participate next year, or else make the rules clear, max spend & also minimum spend.
We have a gift exchange, not work related. It used to say "up to" and now it says "between" two amounts. "up to" $25 could be $3. "Between" has a minimum.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:31 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,678,863 times
While a candy cane certainly sux.. complaining about it would be petty... complaining about it at work would be dumb...
It appears that ship has sailed.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:41 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,195,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
Wait...this was voluntary and you STILL participated ?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:41 AM

9,467 posts, read 8,448,946 times
Exactly why I no longer participate in these sorts of gift exchanges, I always seemed to put way too much thought into mine whereas my gift was typically a gift card or something similar to your candy cane.

I would put the candy cane into the free pile of candy you said you had initially done. It's a shortcoming of mine, I know, but I would HAVE to let that person know somehow that was a really crappy, thoughtless "gift."

Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,276,209 times
Did you really want to be That coworker? Get over yourself. Your reaction in a work place is Childish.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:28 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,316,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ argee. Same way with cookie exchanges. Cheap ladies buying cookies and then taking home a bunch of home made ones. We had to atually say, if you don' bake, you aren't invited. First year they thought we were kidding till we kicked them out. They were just being cheap and classless. Go home and eat you oreos.

I think the secret santas where you regift something you got in the past is more fun. Then those gifts end up being regifted the next year etc. The idea is who can get and give the most hideous gift. Everyone is in on the joke so its fun. One gift that has shown up for 20+ year is this klennex contianer someone made out of a plastic webbing and it closes with a golf course tee. Bought at a craft fair. Of course it has yarn on it, a few golf course design things like flag, ball, 19th hole etc. Sew into the webbing. God it is ugly. but funny. Everyone laughs when someone opens it. Sometimes it make an apprarance as a gift at a divorce party. We all paniced when it disapeered for a couple years. Were happy to see it return.

Yes a candy cane is pretty low.
My husband and I host an annual gift swap party (almost 20 years now) and we have a lot of "repeat" gifts as well. We LOVE IT when gifts make return visits. We had one disappear for 3-4 years and we were devastated, but then it came back and everyone was SO HAPPY to see it. =) Of course, the newbies who had only been coming a couple years had no idea why everyone was so excited.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:33 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,343,935 times
This is why a lot of people hate workplace holiday activities. If you don't play the game a certain way someone like the OP will throw a fit about something that is so meaningless that it is ridiculous.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 AM

50,439 posts, read 64,233,743 times
If OPs offending gift giver has been there 6 years, has he done the same thing to others in the past?

I would be secretly offended, but would try not to show it. Putting it into the community candy bin sounds like a good way to show my “appreciation”. Or, better yet, I would also try to rig the drawing next year, so I would get him, and regift him with the candy cane.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,590,671 times
If they are buying a $2 gift in a $20 secret santa then I'd be pissed too. Don't participate if you are going to be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment