Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Um...your argument isn't valid at all at the APPLICATION stage. No one will know your race or about your baby face from an application. The EEO data is kept completely separate from the general application data.

Don't blame your career difficulties on non-existing racism. In fact, white women have benefited the most from pushes to increase diversity in the workplace.

Just because you believe you are the best candidate doesn't make it true.
Not true. Many co's feel women will leave to have babies and they won't hire young women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 12:36 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
EEO survey results are used to determine if the hiring process has adverse impact on all groups surveyed. They are required by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. Also it is one way to evaluate the effectiveness of recruiting efforts. Individual responses are not shared with hiring officials. Most large employers use automated screening software to prepare a list of potentially qualified applicants who are then screened further by corporate recruiters.

EEO survey analysis is a statistical safeguard against systemic discrimination, including against males and Caucasians. It is important that all applicants respond to the survey to identify any bias.

I have never seen actions that Heidi60 described in private industry. I have sat on both sides of the HR audit table and have a degree in mathematics.
I shared my honest experience in the workplace with those who have a right to be concerned. Associating race and the application in the computer while keeping the actual paperwork separate is deceptive and dishonest. But, if you still don't believe me, then just look at the end result to see who is getting hired.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:43 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I shared my honest experience in the workplace with those who have a right to be concerned. Associating race and the application in the computer while keeping the actual paperwork separate is deceptive and dishonest. But, if you still don't believe me, then just look at the end result to see who is getting hired.
Thank you for sharing.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
How is it deceptive and dishonest? There is text that clearly tells applicants the providing the data is optional AND has no bearing on the application or hiring process.

If people are worried, then just opt out.

This whole discussion is rooted in the old belief that diverse applicants can never be as good as a white applicant when based on merit. It's time to understand that good candidates come in all races and genders.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
How is it deceptive and dishonest?
Because they did what they were legally required by "separating" the forms for the hiring manager, but they implemented a secret mechanism to control for the desired applicant pool. A mechanism that likely wouldn't be discovered during an audit.

I say...fill out the form honestly. A bad faith employer will be doing you a HUGE favor if they use the data for purposes other than the stated ones.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:38 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
How is it deceptive and dishonest? There is text that clearly tells applicants the providing the data is optional AND has no bearing on the application or hiring process.

If people are worried, then just opt out.

This whole discussion is rooted in the old belief that diverse applicants can never be as good as a white applicant when based on merit. It's time to understand that good candidates come in all races and genders.

When the data is entered with the applicant's name and other information while claiming to separate the information that is dishonest and deceptive to the qualified person. In my office it was called a non-white bias since they aren't racists...

Old 12-15-2017, 05:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
This assumes that employees in HR are ethical. They are humans like everyone else. I am not disputing you all's experience, but not all HR departments follow the law.
I don't understand, how and what would HR benefit from this?

Old 12-15-2017, 05:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
More will follow the law than the number that won't. What would be the endgame of not following the law? Would a company risk a major legal violation at this stage of the hiring process? I would think most would follow the law at the application stage.
Thank you!
I fail to see any end benefit with HR manipulating the EEO data. Hiring decisions sit ultimately with the Hiring Manager.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times
We actually should fudge these things. Whether they are used by employers to discriminate in hiring or the government for further balkanization and race-baiting purposes, we shouldn't play along either way.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I fill them out most of the time. I figure it can only help me. If they are looking for a diversity hire, I am it. If they discriminate against me because I am a person of color, they've done me a favor. I know they say it's for statistical purposes only, but you never really know what's occurring on the back end.
^^My thoughts exactly. For this reason, I always fill them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment