Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 11:36 AM

901 posts, read 749,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't care what you hate. Or what you think.

It's clear to me that you only want to blame women for their lack of progress in STEM despite the odds being stacked against us succeeding. Therefore your opinion on the matter means nothing to me.
Odds being stacked against you? LOL, tech is BEGGING for 'diversity' to the point of hiring unqualified candidates just to make them say "hey, look we're diverse"

Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh, so a woman telling you simply that your opinion is meaningless to them personally is "angry". Another stereotype employed in this thread. I went through you're posting history, you don't seem to care when men express their opinions in no uncertain terms. But hey, sexism isn't a thing, right?

Right?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Odds being stacked against you? LOL, tech is BEGGING for 'diversity' to the point of hiring unqualified candidates just to make them say "hey, look we're diverse"
LOL, show me companies not in the Pacific time zone that are doing that. None of them around here are. "Diversity" in tech in this state means "mostly south Asian with a few white guys."

Old 12-20-2017, 11:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
Whoa! Here we go again equating diversity with incompetence. Again, the unconscious belief that only white men are truly qualified.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:57 AM

901 posts, read 749,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Whoa! Here we go again equating diversity with incompetence. Again, the unconscious belief that only white men are truly qualified.
You can interpret it how you want to

Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,955,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Vast majority of tech companies are/were founded by men. Vast majority of kids getting STEM degrees needed to be employed in tech are men. Bro culture isn't there because there's inherent sexism, but self-selection. There has to be a reason why most women don't choose this career path, but dominate fields such as: nursing, social work, early childhood education, and so on.
The women who do get STEM degrees, they don't bother staying in the industry. Most leave after a few years. Wonder why that is? Maybe the toxic culture has an impact? At every spot in the funnel, women leave.

My female peers talk about limiting factors like the pervasive norms that good engineers only like certain board games, video games, books, etc and not fitting into that box makes it harder. We as a culture have defined only one way to be a nerd, and that is not very inclusive or even logical.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
You can interpret it how you want to
No, I'm asking you to clarify your statement. Your statement implies that the diverse talent pool is partially incompetent solely because they are diverse.

If a company hired all white men, wouldn't some of them be incompetent because that's just the statistical odds? Those odds don't change because diversity is added to the mix.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,076,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The women who do get STEM degrees, they don't bother staying in the industry. Most leave after a few years. Wonder why that is? Maybe the toxic culture has an impact? At every spot in the funnel, women leave.

My female peers talk about limiting factors like the pervasive norms that good engineers only like certain board games, video games, books, etc and not fitting into that box makes it harder. We as a culture have defined only one way to be a nerd, and that is not very inclusive or even logical.

How's this any different than in-group dynamics and societal norms in female dominated industries? Again, what you want is for your employer to cater to your needs, and what your employer needs you to do is cater to its needs. I don't tell my customers what I want, or need, but I figure out how to sell/perform a service that they want, or need. No different.

For all of you that disagree, go open up your own shop, hire and treat your employees exactly how you wish, and your problem will be solved. Lot of women have done that. I didn't like many things I saw when I worked for my employers, but I didn't *****, whine or coerce my employers into doing what I wanted, but I rather put my money, talent, and abilities where my mouth was.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:28 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,642,021 times
Quote:
[/b]

How's this any different than in-group dynamics and societal norms in female dominated industries?

Um...how you like not like the bachelor...it's only the greatest show ever!

But seriously, this is real in women dominated industries. During college, I worked in a hospital emergency room and was the only guy on a team of 35. Very strong in group dynamics there also

Old 12-20-2017, 01:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,955,372 times
Quote:
[/b]

How's this any different than in-group dynamics and societal norms in female dominated industries? Again, what you want is for your employer to cater to your needs, and what your employer needs you to do is cater to its needs. I don't tell my customers what I want, or need, but I figure out how to sell/perform a service that they want, or need. No different.

For all of you that disagree, go open up your own shop, hire and treat your employees exactly how you wish, and your problem will be solved. Lot of women have done that. I didn't like many things I saw when I worked for my employers, but I didn't *****, whine or coerce my employers into doing what I wanted, but I rather put my money, talent, and abilities where my mouth was.
No one says watching the bachelor is required to do your job effectively. That is the difference. Obviously, sometimes some roles have people with similar interests and that will drive social dynamics. But saying if you didn't like [whatever the kids are watching/reading/doing] you just don't have the right skills is the problem.

And not just for women, other marginalized groups too. Maybe you didn't grow up playing with drones, that doesn't mean you can't be a strong programmer.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,777,046 times
Quote:
[/b]

Nonsense. What video games some one enjoys is irrelevant to their ability to engineer a car, manufacturing equipment or whatever. The only time what video games someone likes should be a part of the corporate culture is when it is a software company that makes video games.

The issue is women are being treated differently just for being women. Look at you, even in this thread you at assuming over and over again that we have different needs just for being women. Nope. I just want the lack of bias and the same opportunities and treatment the guys get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment