Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 11:47 AM

15,438 posts, read 7,491,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
No, makes me sick they are even out in society..scum of the Earth
That's pretty harsh, given the range of offenses that qualify a person for the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Depends on the offense. There's a big difference between a rapist and a guy who got drunk and stupid and peed in an alley at 19.
I have never understood why peeing in an alley, or any other public place, is considered a sex crime. It's a natural bodily function that cannot be put off indefinitely. As long as the offender isn't masturbating in public, or waving their genitals around (face it, women almost never get charged with this), give them a $100 ticket with no other consequences, and send them on their way. That's pretty much the law in Texas, where you have to be exposing yourself with reckless disregard to be charged with a sex offense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
If you own a restaurant and your base customers don't like to dine in places where there are kids running around, it could work out favorably once you get the word out that you hired a registered sex offender. You can also pass the word that while in prison, he became the top farm-to-slammer chef to all the most famous serial killers except for Jeffrey Dahmer.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:00 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's pretty harsh, given the range of offenses that qualify a person for the registry

I have never understood why peeing in an alley, or any other public place, is considered a sex crime. It's a natural bodily function that cannot be put off indefinitely. As long as the offender isn't masturbating in public, or waving their genitals around (face it, women almost never get charged with this), give them a $100 ticket with no other consequences, and send them on their way. That's pretty much the law in Texas, where you have to be exposing yourself with reckless disregard to be charged with a sex offense.
Our equipment really isn't given to "waving".

Old 12-24-2017, 12:03 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Apparently you've never been on the National Sex Offender Public Registry or similar sites? It not only shows the neighborhood where they live, it also has their name and photo.

And yes, there are those of us with kids and spouses who actually look at these lists once in a while....
I am aware of those sites, and no I have never looked at one. My question was not about those sites. So, why the snarky tone of the "And yes,...." sentence that follows is a mystery.

My question was based on the fact that to my knowledge businesses do not tell their customers about the details of their employees' private lives....as far as I knew. And I was asking about that because a previous comment by FatDave made me wonder if perhaps I was wrong about that.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:04 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaLuFan2 View Post
I would be less hesitant to do so if was proven they become such an offender from what later is deemed a wrongful conviction ...
This implies that you would still be hesitant to hire, even if the offense was later thrown out. Would you really hesitate to hire an innocent person?

Old 12-24-2017, 12:07 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yay or nay? Why or why not?
Depends what the offense was, first of all (Urinating in public is a sex offense? Are you kidding me?) and second, if I was reasonably certain he or she didn't do the offense, (this happened to someone I know) I would hire him/her. So my answer is "It depends".

Old 12-24-2017, 12:08 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Our equipment really isn't given to "waving".

Thank you for posting that. I am an eighty year old man, I wondered if I were perhaps behind the curve on some developments in that area.

Last edited by kevxu; 12-24-2017 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-24-2017, 12:08 PM

436 posts, read 302,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am aware of those sites, and no I have never looked at one. My question was not about those sites. So, why the snarky tone of the "And yes,...." sentence that follows is a mystery.

My question was based on the fact that to my knowledge businesses do not tell their customers about the details of their employees' private lives....as far as I knew. And I was asking if that was correct.
As they shouldn't. Truth is, there are plenty of jobs they can work without being a danger to society and most people nowadays, are falsely convicted or most often, convicted of non-existant "crimes" such as urinating in private (though the ordinaces don't call it private even if you are surrounded by tree cover) sex with someone just a few years younger than you, etc...

convictions are about money and making a quota. Gotta falsely convict at least 50% of the people to make those quotas. That's life. Same with DUI's. Rediculous people are thrown in jail for having a few drinks. The justice system is more of a racket than anything nowadays

Old 12-24-2017, 12:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Depends what crime they were convicted of.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:57 PM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment