Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,337,047 times

Advertisements

I just wrote a novel and deleted it. (you're welcome)
The location where I work is predominately male - that's changing sloooowly. I do well, am well respected for my work ethic and performance. I really love my job. Been in this environment for 30+yrs. (been female my whole life)

But there's this ONE GUY who, thankfully I don't have to deal with much. He is truly a sexist pig - I don't think he even realizes it. He's the one who openly discusses female anatomy and I get the younger women complaining to me about it. He wears hearing aids and keeps 70's rock cranked in his cubicle, then complains that he can't stand using the phone because he can't hear well, which is pertinent because:

I happen to have an upcoming repair he's writing the scope for. He totally misunderstood my customer (at that location) and is repeating inaccurate information about her and the repair. She's a medical professional who runs a health clinic. He's classified her as "a sweet lady who could make me do anything she wants if I worked there" He brought me a paper copy of his work and when I asked for it electronically he said "I don't want you sending it to anyone". WHA? (hello, scan and email if I wanted to you moron). He basically spouts off his view and won't consider my professional opinion - can't help thinking it's because I'm just a girl. Anyway, thankfully I don't deal with him daily because I'd be taken out in handcuffs.

(I did send a completely non-reactive email clarifying the mistaken impression about my customer.)

Anyone happy at work except for THAT GUY?
(might be a female THAT GUY)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,842 times
Every organization has "that guy" or "that gal."

Have you discussed his behavior with management? In the current environment, he could become a significant liability to the company.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Every organization has "that guy" or "that gal."
Have you discussed his behavior with management? In the current environment, he could become a significant liability to the company.
I actually addressed the behavior generically in an organizational assembly mostly to caution all the guys (couple hundred) to be aware of their surroundings if they plan on using off-color language. We all went back to work and THAT SAME DAY he went back to talking about female anatomy. A female officer told me, she demanded "didn't you just hear what was said at the briefing?" and he asked "what, if you said some guy had a nice azz, that would be wrong?" Old school. Moldy old school. Needs an attitude update.

(oh, but yes, concerning his project work comments last week, my supervisor is aware)

Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
I used to see much more of this, but it is dying out.

I almost never hear comments about female anatomy, although I do hear general comments about overall attractiveness occasionally.

The one that seems to pop up most frequently is how women are more difficult to deal with in a work environment than men.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I used to see much more of this, but it is dying out.

I almost never hear comments about female anatomy, although I do hear general comments about overall attractiveness occasionally.

The one that seems to pop up most frequently is how women are more difficult to deal with in a work environment than men.
I love my coworkers but two of them were discussing an overweight female who works nearby. HAVE THEY LOOKED IN THE MIRROR LATELY??

Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,076,133 times
Every place has one of those guys or gals. And while I understand the concern with sexism, I do have a concerns about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I actually addressed the behavior generically in an organizational assembly mostly to caution all the guys (couple hundred) to be aware of their surroundings if they plan on using off-color language.
Now the professional environment is not the place for off color language, the idea that "all the guys" have to be aware of (ie change their language) is sexist itself. It implies that:

a. Women don't use off color language. The worst I've ever heard in any environment usually comes from the women; the men generally know it's not professional, but the women seem to feel it's OK. Shared an office a couple years ago with one whose every sentence was GD this and F that.

and

b. that females have to be treated differently than the male employees/coworkers.

Employees and coworkers should be treated the same regardless of sex.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:24 AM

901 posts, read 747,983 times
Try working in an office. Women can say anything they want to men, but if men say something a little edgy the woman get all offensive or call the cops
#checkyourprivilege

Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
Oh lordy I've seen a lot of "that guys." One chased me around work for nearly two years asking me to be his lover. Um NO. Our department was very small and we were like a big family, but the harassment came to a head when he planted one on me in an elevator. It was like a kiss you'd give to a friend but it still made me uncomfortable and I told him to stop because I would take it across the street. He finally stopped looking at me as a potential conquest and finally saw me as an equal colleague. He was about 15 years older then I was and of a different mind set about women. He was from a different ethnic back ground as well. I remember performing CPR on a very large male and he and a male nurse were joking in the corner. I asked him what that was all about and he told me that he told the male nurse "that's what she looks like when she's on top of her husband." I went down and talked to the male nurse about it and he looked seriously worried. I burst out laughing and told him that I did have a sense of humor. It took awhile but we all worked together in the same situation and our eyes met. I gave them both a dirty look but it was near impossible to contain the laughter. What was I going to do? Get two people fired because of something they shouldn't have said? To me, it's bad but it's not that serious.

We all say and do stupid things in our life and we all have a personality that just won't mesh with 100% of the people we come in contact. I'm 100% sure I've offended people here on C.D. and I'm 100% sure I've been offended by someone, but the key is not turning a mole hill into a mountain. None of us is that important.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Try working in an office. Women can say anything they want to men, but if men say something a little edgy the woman get all offensive or call the cops
#checkyourprivilege
I do work mostly in an office. Totally agree with you. Saw that more in the Marine Corps. Ticks me off because I have two sons and am very protective of the male perspective. We have ZERO females in our trades shops. In the couple hundred attending there were probably 10 women. A good number of them have discussed the problem. It's an older workforce. No young cussing kids, which I have seen with the military females. We don't have any of them.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Great post animalcrazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment