Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,481,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Wow. Most companies will just call the agency and say, "We don't want this temp, she is causing all kinds of drama here." Agencies act as if they will side with the temp, but they always side with their client company. Guess you guys won't be using that agency again to hire a temp.
I have no idea if they will be using the agency again. Under competent management and leadership, this would have likely been dealt with more accordingly. But as I said before, my director does not make difficult decisions very well. He doesn't vet candidates very well, and he also doesn't address incompetence or lack of performance on our team. While I like him as a person, and appreciate the times he stepped up for me, he was mostly terrible at his job as a leader/manager, and he will not be sorely missed by most of our team as he departs in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 12:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,375,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Who said it was consequence free?

Most sexual harrassment/innuendo in the workplace is neither reported or punished. We have all seen it or experienced it, to one level or another.

The incidents that have consequences tend to be repeated, egregious things, and women who do these things have work consequences too.
Actually, I said it was consequence-free. Having worked with women for many years, I have personally been harrassed many times. Unlike the #metoo brigade, though, I never made a federal issue about it. I just put it down to the fact that there are vulgar, manipulative women in the world and went on my way.

Unfortunately, today’s so-called feminists want it both ways: to be bold, fearless and equal — while demanding protection from all those evil men lurking out there. What a joke. What hypocrisy.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:50 PM

334 posts, read 222,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I have no idea if they will be using the agency again. Under competent management and leadership, this would have likely been dealt with more accordingly. But as I said before, my director does not make difficult decisions very well. He doesn't vet candidates very well, and he also doesn't address incompetence or lack of performance on our team. While I like him as a person, and appreciate the times he stepped up for me, he was mostly terrible at his job as a leader/manager, and he will not be sorely missed by most of our team as he departs in a few months.
Sounds like my current boss at the new job I've been complaining about on here. He's well-liked too, but has the same lack of management skills that you described. I'm not used to that.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,365,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
BigDGeek, that's just too much. Wimpy little guy intimidated by the big scary alpha female. I'd have opened up a can of .... sorry. Redneck throwback.

Wish I could have but he was already intimidated because I'm smarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I think that some people believe that reporting others to management for perceived misbehavior makes them look good. When in reality, a good and experienced manager should see right through the BS.
Unfortunately my manager was neither good nor experienced and was heavily culturally biased.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,067,163 times
Quote:
I actually addressed the behavior generically in an organizational assembly mostly to caution all the guys (couple hundred) to be aware of their surroundings if they plan on using off-color language. We all went back to work and THAT SAME DAY he went back to talking about female anatomy. A female officer told me, she demanded "didn't you just hear what was said at the briefing?" and he asked "what, if you said some guy had a nice azz, that would be wrong?" Old school. Moldy old school. Needs an attitude update.

(oh, but yes, concerning his project work comments last week, my supervisor is aware)

Where I work (an international Fortune 500 company, and just made the Fortune 100 greatest Places to Work list) if I reported "That Guy" he would get written up and investigated. The company I work for takes that stuff seriously. And we have a hotline we can call, in case we're not comfortable talking to a supervisor.

Also, if a supervisor or manager knows of a situation, and didn't report it, and then later it came out that the manager or supervisor knew about it, then they get written up too.

You might want to talk to HR and casually ask what their policy is on harassment. Most companies don't abide with that stuff anymore.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,374,548 times
Well, yes, Sass, my supervisor is ready to act if that's what I wanted. And he said "just let me know".

I'd like to relocate but there's a job coming open where I am which would be a promotion and I really don't want to make too many waves. However I've got a great reputation there and am confident management would take my complaint seriously. Again, to be fair, I'd like to speak with the guy before it came to that.

It's a federal job.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,778,595 times
Quote:
I just wrote a novel and deleted it. (you're welcome)
The location where I work is predominately male - that's changing sloooowly. I do well, am well respected for my work ethic and performance. I really love my job. Been in this environment for 30+yrs. (been female my whole life)

But there's this ONE GUY who, thankfully I don't have to deal with much. He is truly a sexist pig - I don't think he even realizes it. He's the one who openly discusses female anatomy and I get the younger women complaining to me about it. He wears hearing aids and keeps 70's rock cranked in his cubicle, then complains that he can't stand using the phone because he can't hear well, which is pertinent because:

I happen to have an upcoming repair he's writing the scope for. He totally misunderstood my customer (at that location) and is repeating inaccurate information about her and the repair. She's a medical professional who runs a health clinic. He's classified her as "a sweet lady who could make me do anything she wants if I worked there" He brought me a paper copy of his work and when I asked for it electronically he said "I don't want you sending it to anyone". WHA? (hello, scan and email if I wanted to you moron). He basically spouts off his view and won't consider my professional opinion - can't help thinking it's because I'm just a girl. Anyway, thankfully I don't deal with him daily because I'd be taken out in handcuffs.

(I did send a completely non-reactive email clarifying the mistaken impression about my customer.)

Anyone happy at work except for THAT GUY?
(might be a female THAT GUY)
Some 20 years ago when I was fresh out of college I was hired by a small governmental organization to work as a mate/research tech on an inshore research vessel. There were three new hires that year and I was the only woman. The captain made me throw lines and tie knots for hours the first day. Just me, none of the other hires who were men. Meanwhile I had the most number of sea days and experience by far. I worked there for that whole research season and it was constantly a push to see if he could get me to quit. The sexual innuendo and jokes didn’t really bother me much, but I was annoyed the day he said the head was broken and told me to pee over the side “like one of the guys”. Especially as it wasn’t broken at all. Luckily a couple of weeks in one of the guys quit and the new hire was also a woman and she was an ally but yes, he was that guy, and even worse he was sort of my boss.

It’s definitely worse when that guy is your boss.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,778,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Every place has one of those guys or gals. And while I understand the concern with sexism, I do have a concerns about:

Now the professional environment is not the place for off color language, the idea that "all the guys" have to be aware of (ie change their language) is sexist itself. It implies that:

a. Women don't use off color language. The worst I've ever heard in any environment usually comes from the women; the men generally know it's not professional, but the women seem to feel it's OK. Shared an office a couple years ago with one whose every sentence was GD this and F that.

and

b. that females have to be treated differently than the male employees/coworkers.

Employees and coworkers should be treated the same regardless of sex.
I don’t think she meant cursing. Most of the times the issue with “off color language” is its sexual nature rather than cursing.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,390,257 times
So,........where were all the "real men" in that mix? It's not missed. I've lost track, going back to 1970, of having to walk the guy from some goat rope community in the sticks out into some foggy field in "NEW JOISEY" and "gently" discuss social skills.

Chicago doesn't get the news any more?? Oprah just got slanted by Trump. He obviously never got that needed walk.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,390,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
From where do you pull this nonsense? That part of the female anatomy that thrills your husband so much? It is not necessary to speak inappropriately in a work setting to maintain hormone levels. It doesn’t work that way.

Interesting. So he has his behavior under control enough to not actually have sex with other women, but cannot help himself when it comes to comments, or presumably a leering gaze.

Our biological drives are powerful, but so is our intellect. Go ahead and have sex, pick up random strangers in bars, proposition that hottie in your first year sociology class. That is all fine. Use your brain to keep it out of the workplace.

It isn’t because of fear, but politeness. I don’t advocate for rude, innapropriate violent behavior, and I am appalled that you do.

I think that you may be an example of “That Guy” as described in the OP.

From where I start? From your nickname?
Yes, women's arces drive men crazy. Most of them. My husband is just one of billions.
Yes, I agree, "it is not necessary to speak inappropriately in a work setting to maintain hormone levels," but it can help. If not at work, maybe in a grocery store? In a library, where usually is plenty of those heart-shaped things? Those on the back and a bit below the waist of every woman? No? In a bar maybe? In a museum? There are more chances that above this desirable thing there also will be a good - human - brain. Where they can do this without displeasing some hypocrite?
About behavior - you just don't understand, human brain, again, is needed to do so. My DH does not "control" his behavior, he doesn't need to force himself into some cage of rules. He just appreciates beauty as she passes by. So do I, for "she"s as well as for "he"s (to cut your imagination short - we are two absolutely straight people). Beauty makes both men and women better, and healthier, just by being there (whatever beauty it is - a human, a piece of art, a creation of nature). Sorry, I'm not sure that idea will fit in your nick name.
Yes we have intellect. Go ahead, pick up an intelligent and unattractive person, and feel as dry you will be. Men's system is even more honest - it just doesn't get up.
There is nothing wrong with people thinking about an opposite sex even at their workplaces. We are humans. Must of us spend most part of time at work that is IMHO horrible. Where people are supposed to meet and know each other? Work is the best place for it, you can see and hear enough to know the person even before becoming friends with benefits.
Acting inappropriately is wrong, but gazing? No. Gaze if you want, if you did your job. I never minded gazing, even though for touching I can hit hard.
If you had human brain, you would have noticed that I'm not advocating for any type of conduct, just suggesting that maybe instead of letting men do less we can try letting women do more - sexes will be equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment