Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
that's all what politicians seem to talk about now
Politicians are elected and are not beholden to their "co-workers" their boss is the voters. They buy into the corruption but they can be crass and brazen and call people out in rude nasty ways, if someone is a crook or a kiniver they can call them out and cant be fired.

Politicians have alot of power and instead they just get in line. Politicians dont have pander to a boss and if they cant get alignment they can document who the obstructionists are and document their names and voting records or even record the things they say. They dont have to tow the line that us peasants do.

IF they are national representatives they can bring down hell on federal organizations and put "higher ups" under the microscope or even just fire them if they can even get a modicum of alignment.

I am thinking about putting together youtube videos as a nationalist party and seeing how much traction I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 01:26 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
So many young people today, are revealing all these things to the whole world, on social media. A lot of them will probably regret doing that, eventually.
Agree with all the OP's points, but also this one.

There's an inevitability that when you strike up friendships with colleagues at work via social media, you will inevitably post them all sorts of "gossip" and PI outside of work hours, probably not thinking of repercussions further down the road, especially if you say something like "my boss is a real a-hole!"

Similarly when colleagues go out for a company party or a colleague's birthday party, and a few drinks have been drank, inhibitions fall to the way side and personal thoughts come out for all to hear.

But its a very thin line not saying anything to a boss in terms of the points made above. Discretion might be the order of the day depending on your working relationship with him/her.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
So many young people today, are revealing all these things to the whole world, on social media. A lot of them will probably regret doing that, eventually.
It isn't just young people though. Many older people did this under the last two elections actually regardless of party affiliation.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Agree with all the OP's points, but also this one.

There's an inevitability that when you strike up friendships with colleagues at work via social media, you will inevitably post them all sorts of "gossip" and PI outside of work hours, probably not thinking of repercussions further down the road, especially if you say something like "my boss is a real a-hole!"

Similarly when colleagues go out for a company party or a colleague's birthday party, and a few drinks have been drank, inhibitions fall to the way side and personal thoughts come out for all to hear.

But its a very thin line not saying anything to a boss in terms of the points made above. Discretion might be the order of the day depending on your working relationship with him/her.
I never drink with current coworkers. I've only friended one on Facebook when we were current coworkers, and we ended up becoming really good friends.

Back in 2014, our satellite office had a small Christmas party, and most of the staff were drinking heavily. I would have if they weren't coworkers. I don't think anyone said anything out of line, but something that might be completely reasonable sober might be taken the wrong way when people are drinking. We were also invited to the holiday party at a Boston hotel, and clients were invited. That was a debacle with clients and staff, many of whom do not like each other anyway, getting together over alcohol.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
I used to be more open on social media; now my Facebook account is locked down tight and I periodically do searches for co-workers on it so I can block them. Nothing personal, y'all just don't need to see that. I do not accept friend requests from co-workers and I do not "tag" myself when I'm at work. I also refuse to share the name of my employer on Facebook (though I do share it on LinkedIn).

I used to post and comment about political issues but I haven't done that regularly in quite some time so even if someone was able to look at my Facebook posts, what they'd see from the last few years is pictures of my dog, pictures of our vacations, or "tags" when we're out eating with friends or family. Nothing controversial there. I share controversial opinions here behind a cloak of relative anonymity.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
6. Other job opportunities that present themselves to you.
I did break this one once, because somebody reached out to me on LinkedIn, and told me they had a job opening for a helicopter pilot, would I be interested?

This confused me, because......well, I've never piloted a helicopter in my life. Never went to training for it. I was on a helicopter once as a passenger, and that was it, and that wasn't something I had ever put on my job skills.

So I'd gone into work and said to my then-boss, "You've seen my resume....is there anything in there that indicates I'm qualified to pilot a helicopter for a living?" My boss, confused, said, "No....?" So I told him about the reach-out on LinkedIn. He nearly busted a gut laughing, and subjected me to bad puns about that the rest of the day: "Y'know Indigo, I've been thinking about the helicopter pilot offer you got--I think you should give it a whirl." Stuff like that. If I regretted telling him about it, it was because of those puns.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I did break this one once, because somebody reached out to me on LinkedIn, and told me they had a job opening for a helicopter pilot, would I be interested?

This confused me, because......well, I've never piloted a helicopter in my life. Never went to training for it. I was on a helicopter once as a passenger, and that was it, and that wasn't something I had ever put on my job skills.

So I'd gone into work and said to my then-boss, "You've seen my resume....is there anything in there that indicates I'm qualified to pilot a helicopter for a living?" My boss, confused, said, "No....?" So I told him about the reach-out on LinkedIn. He nearly busted a gut laughing, and subjected me to bad puns about that the rest of the day: "Y'know Indigo, I've been thinking about the helicopter pilot offer you got--I think you should give it a whirl." Stuff like that. If I regretted telling him about it, it was because of those puns.
#5 and #7...........broken numerous times...........

Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Go figure. People actually need to be TOLD this.

The only one that I can see as a logical error is the one about the company's direction.

Especially by idealistic inexperienced newbies.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:35 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I know all 10 about my boss (and couple of other people) and more, he knows same 10 about me (and some other people) and more. We are a great team and we rock, greatly improving company results over a short period of time. We work in a very lean mode, effectively helping each other, and knowing each other's strengths and weaknesses helps - we know when to lend a hand. We are very effective, but still humans.
Same here. This is some old school paranoid top 10 list. The gubment!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I've always had a it of a problem with the "never talk politics, sex, or religion" as a work rule.

Mainly because I believe people should talk about important current events (and I emphasize talk , not scream, preach or proselytize) as a matter of course. When these things are very much in the news -- a presidential election, let's say, or me too sexual and sexual harassment, or black lives matter, or gun control -- and people do not mention them in such casual office conversation that goes on in any particular workplace, I believe that it sets up a dynamic where people are afraid to talk about anything that might offend someone, even when it's job-related. Pretending that contentious things don't exist outside the workplace means that too often people won't openly acknowledge difficult issues with their job or their company because they have internalized a fear of speaking up about important things.

Yes, that means people have to learn how to speak respectfully and even more important, to listen respectfully in these conversations. Going to work doesn't mean you have to be ignorant of the world. But it should mean you know how to talk about it appropriately. Doing so shows you aren't ignorant, you might learn something from co-workers -- and it makes it easier for you to talk about difficult job-related issues because you know how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment