Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times

Advertisements

Words to live by, not only is HR not your friend, your boss is not your friend either.

Common sense, sure, but we live in different times.

I feel #10 is flexible though, depending on what the gossip is and how you interact with your boss (such as rumors of layoffs, etc.).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan...-about-you/2/#

Quote:
Here are ten things never, ever to tell your boss:

1. Your relationship issues.

2. Your financial problems.

3. Health problems, unless you need time off or another type of accommodation.

4. Your feelings about your coworkers, their work habits or their personal lives.

5. Your feelings about the company's direction and/or the competence of the company's leaders.

6. Other job opportunities that present themselves to you.

7. Your dissatisfaction with your job, unless you are unhappy about a concrete issue that your manager has the power to solve.

8. Your romantic feelings for a coworker (or anyone else).

9. Personal conflicts with anyone at work, unless you need your boss's help to work things out.

10. Gossip you hear on the company grapevine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,293 times
I work with professionals. We don't discuss such personal matters with our manager unless it is something that could impact our work. Problem solved.

As far as work matters and company culture are concerned, there are professional and tactful methods for addressing such things with management if it is impacting the company in a negative way. Our new CEO is always asking for feedback on what we can do better as an organization, because he is keen enough to realize that we can do a lot of things better. In fact, he just held a lunch-in-learn with a few of my peers, where he explicitly asked for feedback on how the company can do better by its employees. We're trying to fix a massive attrition problem within the org, so burying their heads in the sand is of no use to anyone.

Last edited by Left-handed; 02-19-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,775,676 times
These are basics, and yes, when I was in my late teens / early 20s, I probably would have not realized that you keep all this type of info away about yourself from your manager at your job.

Only thing I would think to add is:

1. Never discuss politics / sex / or religion at work, particularly with your supervisor(s)/boss(es).

Old 02-19-2018, 06:26 PM

4,984 posts, read 2,720,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
These are basics, and yes, when I was in my late teens / early 20s, I probably would have not realized that you keep all this type of info away about yourself from your manager at your job.

1. Never discuss politics / sex / or religion at work, particularly with your supervisor(s)/boss(es).
All excellent advice, and this extra add on as well.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,410,711 times
I'll add hopes and dreams that don't involve your employer.

A former coworker used to talk at work about wanting to quit and do this and quit and do that. She wondered why they didn't promote her to the marketing department.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
Quote:
that's all what politicians seem to talk about now

Old 02-19-2018, 09:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
I would say relationships with co-workers is a maybe. If they can control it because you two flat cannot get along for whatever reason, maybe it is good to say it if there are enough to be an issue. Some pairings are toxic and it isn't one single person's fault.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,421,963 times
Quote:

Definitely, a no-no.

These are very divisive topics.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:58 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,601,864 times
Quote:

So many young people today, are revealing all these things to the whole world, on social media. A lot of them will probably regret doing that, eventually.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Words to live by, not only is HR not your friend, your boss is not your friend either.

Common sense, sure, but we live in different times.

I feel #10 is flexible though, depending on what the gossip is and how you interact with your boss (such as rumors of layoffs, etc.).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan...-about-you/2/#
I know all 10 about my boss (and couple of other people) and more, he knows same 10 about me (and some other people) and more. We are a great team and we rock, greatly improving company results over a short period of time. We work in a very lean mode, effectively helping each other, and knowing each other's strengths and weaknesses helps - we know when to lend a hand. We are very effective, but still humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment