Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,620,819 times

Advertisements

I am retired but was a dedicated employee, when I was working. And I think the bait & switch they did is a bad sign. Either they don't regard their employees very highly, or they suck at managing the business. I've been on a number of interviews over the years, including working contract for a couple of years. No one ever changed the working arrangements in any significant way. Do they know what they are looking for, what the job involves and the hours...or don't they? They apparently didn't.

And that snippy answer to your questions was pretty rude. Email can be like that, though. Emails don't read the same as if people were speaking to each other. She may not have realized those questions were in your first email, and your second email didn't point that out, and was maybe not as nice as it could have been. "I hate to bother you again, but I'd asked a couple of questions in my email to you that you didn't answer, so I wanted to be sure you had seen those."

You need the job, so you don't have a choice. But I wouldn't plan on staying there any length of time. If you don't have another job offer, take this one, do your job, get your paycheck...but continue looking for a permanent job. Companies put their best foot forward during an interview. It doesn't get any better when you start working there, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,714,946 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

The OP might have had good reasons why she could not work until 6, such as childcare that ends at 6. Interviews and the offer period are a two-way street. If the applicant finds out that the job is not a fit during that period due to misrepresentation, she has every right to decline. I don’t know why a person should feel compelled to take a full-time job when they applied to what appeared to be a part-time job.

If the employer’s needs change dramatically in terms of shift needed or number of hours needed, the job should be reposted.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-21-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 04:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,608,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
Hello,

I’ve been out of work for about two months because the company I was working for closed down. I went interview for a job a few weeks ago and I was initially pretty excited about the role. When I did receive an offer many of the details were different from what we discussed in the interview. When I went to the interview the initial idea was this role was going to be part time and a 10-5ish schedule and said there was some flexibility. When they made the offer they changed it to a 30 day trial period and if they feel I’m a good fit they’ll offer me a permanent role after the trial. They never mentioned it being a 30 day trial in the interview. They also changed the hours to 9-6 with not much flexibility. I told them I prefer to leave at 5:30 but they said no. I like the other hours better but at the same time I need a job. So I accepted it. Now I’m having second thoughts.

I had some questions for my new manager that I sent her via email. She only answered a few of my questions and either ignored or missed the rest. So I sent a second email with the questions that she didn’t answer. She then wrote me back a snappy email saying “Please consolidate your questions in one email from now on” .. seriously? That really put me off.

Looking for advice

Thanks
It would bother me. What they are doing is not honest, UNLESS you interviewed for one position, and they decided that your skills were better suited to a different one, and that's the one you are being offered. If that is the case, they should say so.

The trial period, while not always explicitly stated, is pretty standard. Most new employees are considered to be "on probation" at first, although what difference this makes in an "employment at will" state is completely beyond my comprehension. The one thing that is a bit worrisome in this case is, if they have already changed the rules once, will they change them again when they decide to make you permanent?

If you need the job, go ahead and take it, but keep looking, too. These do not sound like people worthy of your trust.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM

1,072 posts, read 772,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It would bother me. What they are doing is not honest, UNLESS you interviewed for one position, and they decided that your skills were better suited to a different one, and that's the one you are being offered. If that is the case, they should say so.

The trial period, while not always explicitly stated, is pretty standard. Most new employees are considered to be "on probation" at first, although what difference this makes in an "employment at will" state is completely beyond my comprehension. The one thing that is a bit worrisome in this case is, if they have already changed the rules once, will they change them again when they decide to make you permanent?

If you need the job, go ahead and take it, but keep looking, too. These do not sound like people worthy of your trust.
This is about the best opinion I've seen in response to OP's original quest for advice.

Not sure if it is a case of dishonesty or rather a disconnect in communication. Either way probably not a place you'd want to work for, unless you are desperate for work. In that case take the job but keep looking elsewhere.

Probationary periods are not unusual. Could be they weren't ready to discuss that aspect in the interview... which is cowardly IMO. Likely they've had negative experiences with other applicants so they've changed their procedure maybe? Still wrong, not being upfront about it.

I accepted an offer from an employer about 18 months ago under very similar circumstances. After 3 months the manager asked me (through my supervisor) to change the hours we had all agreed upon upon my hiring. 30 minutes later I went into her office, looked her right in the eye and handed her a letter of resignation. Told her I hoped she would be more honest with my replacement.

Oh and by the way, the accusation about neediness from another poster was definitely uncalled for, but not a surprise.

I hope all this works out for you.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,163,719 times
OP, I see a few red flags here. The 30-day probationary period seems OK, but are they saying it's really a temp-to-perm position? Regarding working hours, while it is within their rights to alter the work schedule, their inflexibility raises an eyebrow. If you need a job where you can leave before 6, this isn't the right one.

But what really bothers me is the email response from your potential manager. It sounds unnecessarily rude and hostile. In your shoes, unless I were desperate for employment, I'd pass on this offer. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,691,537 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

The OP sounds young, and most of the mgt. people have lots of experience manipulating people to get what they want so I understand why she asked for help. Remember the pre - CD days where there weren't people to offer advice?

I have also experienced several times applying for a job but during the interview found out it was a very different job description. Employers do play games and some of them aren't in your best interest. I recall one hiring manage telling me start on Monday, the next day his assistant called to tell me she wanted to hire someone else. The hiring manager was angry at the assistant but I decided I didn't want to be in between those two.

There are several good books out which discuss how to interview and real warning signs from employers which might be beneficial.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-21-2018 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 12:13 PM

16 posts, read 14,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
OP, I see a few red flags here. The 30-day probationary period seems OK, but are they saying it's really a temp-to-perm position? Regarding working hours, while it is within their rights to alter the work schedule, their inflexibility raises an eyebrow. If you need a job where you can leave before 6, this isn't the right one.

But what really bothers me is the email response from your potential manager. It sounds unnecessarily rude and hostile. In your shoes, unless I were desperate for employment, I'd pass on this offer. Good luck!

The response is what bothered me most. I only asked a few questions. She seemed really bothered by it.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,076,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
The response is what bothered me most. I only asked a few questions. She seemed really bothered by it.
Can you elaborate more on your situation? We don't know what industry you're in, type of position you're going for, previous experience, are you going to be working in the same type of industry/position as you've done previously, etc? The reason why I ask, in the negotiation phase, and you're still in it, the one who has more leverage will get more of what they want than the one who doesn't.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:51 PM

334 posts, read 222,065 times
To me, I think I'd pass on this offer unless you are desperate and have nothing else on your plate right now. There are red flags all over the place for this job. I always kind of compare it to dating. If a dating prospect responded back to you in the manner that your future boss did, would you go out with him on a date? I woudn't.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:16 PM

16 posts, read 14,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Can you elaborate more on your situation? We don't know what industry you're in, type of position you're going for, previous experience, are you going to be working in the same type of industry/position as you've done previously, etc? The reason why I ask, in the negotiation phase, and you're still in it, the one who has more leverage will get more of what they want than the one who doesn't.
It’s a small software company. I applied for an administrative assistant role. I have 8 years experience doing that for work. Only 10 people in the office.

I just did some looking around at the owner on google. His white pages popped up and White pages has a “related to” field. In that field a woman’s name popped up. Same name as the woman that would be my manager. So I believe my future manager is his wife. Seems she still goes by her maiden name. She spoke of him as he was her boss not her husband in the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment