Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM

16 posts, read 14,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
To me, I think I'd pass on this offer unless you are desperate and have nothing else on your plate right now. There are red flags all over the place for this job. I always kind of compare it to dating. If a dating prospect responded back to you in the manner that your future boss did, would you go out with him on a date? I woudn't.
Good point and analogy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
But what really bothers me is the email response from your potential manager. It sounds unnecessarily rude and hostile. In your shoes, unless I were desperate for employment, I'd pass on this offer. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
To me, I think I'd pass on this offer unless you are desperate and have nothing else on your plate right now. There are red flags all over the place for this job. I always kind of compare it to dating. If a dating prospect responded back to you in the manner that your future boss did, would you go out with him on a date? I woudn't.
I agree. I had a fairly recent experience with an employer where a particular manager asked a couple of questions that I thought were odd at the time, but fairly benign in the grand scheme of things. Sure enough, it was this same person that caused MASSIVE headaches with my employment. Listen to your gut. This cannot be overstated. I'm in agreement with all the people that said if you take this job, keep searching for something better so you can leave at the earliest opportunity.

I also really liked the way you handled the less-than-helpful responses here. Things will eventually work out for you.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:33 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
It’s a small software company. I applied for an administrative assistant role. I have 8 years experience doing that for work. Only 10 people in the office.

I just did some looking around at the owner on google. His white pages popped up and White pages has a “related to” field. In that field a woman’s name popped up. Same name as the woman that would be my manager. So I believe my future manager is his wife. Seems she still goes by her maiden name. She spoke of him as he was her boss not her husband in the interview.
Small businesses come with some pros and cons compared to big companies. I should know, I own two of them. Small companies often take on personalities of their ownership, and you should be comfortable with that. You should also be prepared to know more, good or bad about the people than you would otherwise.

Although, husband and wife owned companies are in a league of their own, and I've never seen one where there wasn't quite a bit of hostility, implicit, or explicit between the two.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:40 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Although, husband and wife owned companies are in a league of their own, and I've never seen one where there wasn't quite a bit of hostility, implicit, or explicit between the two.
I had a friend who worked for a husband and wife team. The stories she would tell. It was super dysfunctional.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:21 PM

55 posts, read 45,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I had a friend who worked for a husband and wife team. The stories she would tell. It was super dysfunctional.
I recently got done working for a husband and wife team for about 7 months.
It was absolutely, hands down, the WORST job I ever had in my entire life.

The only reason why I stayed as long as I did is because we started the house buying process and I couldn't change my employment in the middle of it all.

Literally the day I got my new house keys, I drove to the job (I was a manager so I had keys), left my letter of resignation and took all my stuff out of the office.

It was the first job that ever made me so ill from the stress, I was rushed to the ER three times. As soon as I quit that place, I never had those "severe spasm" issues again. Ugh.

They had the highest rate of employee turnover I've ever seen. The average employee was there for about 2-3 weeks. Granted, obviously some of the employees just weren't good, but a lot of had to do with the company. Particularly the wife/CEO...

Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
Hello,

I’ve been out of work for about two months because the company I was working for closed down. I went interview for a job a few weeks ago and I was initially pretty excited about the role. When I did receive an offer many of the details were different from what we discussed in the interview. When I went to the interview the initial idea was this role was going to be part time and a 10-5ish schedule and said there was some flexibility. When they made the offer they changed it to a 30 day trial period and if they feel I’m a good fit they’ll offer me a permanent role after the trial. They never mentioned it being a 30 day trial in the interview. They also changed the hours to 9-6 with not much flexibility. I told them I prefer to leave at 5:30 but they said no. I like the other hours better but at the same time I need a job. So I accepted it. Now I’m having second thoughts.

I had some questions for my new manager that I sent her via email. She only answered a few of my questions and either ignored or missed the rest. So I sent a second email with the questions that she didn’t answer. She then wrote me back a snappy email saying “Please consolidate your questions in one email from now on” .. seriously? That really put me off.

Looking for advice

Thanks
Sounds like the old bait and switch. You have a right to be miffed. I also think you are nicer then I am, because I would definitely have had a hard time not replying to that snarky email and letting her know that I had listed all the questions in the first email.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM

16 posts, read 14,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sounds like the old bait and switch. You have a right to be miffed. I also think you are nicer then I am, because I would definitely have had a hard time not replying to that snarky email and letting her know that I had listed all the questions in the first email.

Good luck to you.
Thanks and I actually did say that to her 😁

Old 02-21-2018, 06:13 PM

334 posts, read 221,312 times
So, RoseFlowers, what have you decided to do? Take the job and keep looking or not take it all? Personally, I absolutely hate having to take any old thing and keep looking because it is so difficult to go on interviews when you start a new job.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 AM

225 posts, read 150,144 times
OP:

Hang in there and play the situation as you need it. Rotten employers are out there. Just don't stick to one for too long. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2018, 04:50 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
[quote=oceangaia;51090199]Whining because they want you to leave at 6:00 and you prefer to leave at 5:30 is what I consider "neediness". What earth shattering difference is a half hour going to make? quote]

That 30 minutes can make a big difference if you commute. If I leave work at 4 p.m. I can breeze home with no problem at the bridge. However if I leave anywhere between 4:30-6:00 p.m. I will sitting in serious traffic.

Why are you attacking this poster? Seems to me her questions of this new company were legitimate. She was told one thing at the interview and then they turned things around when they offered her the job. And it didn't sound like she was "whining" as you put it, she was just stating the facts as she sees it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment