Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 PM

296 posts, read 574,487 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I left a former employer five years ago after twenty years. I just received a phone call from an attorney from the company today requesting information from an employee that I did not even work with during my time with the company. I informed the attorney that I did not know the employee he was speaking of but he mentioned two former co workers informed him that I had known this employee. I did not leave the company on good terms and I am disappointed that my name is being falsely brought up by these two former co-workers. Can you please give me your opinion on how you would handle this situation? My family is very upset this occurring after leaving the company five years ago and felt it was unnecessary. I would appreciate any suggestions you have regarding this issue. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,796,932 times
Please do not be upset about this. You have nothing to worry about. You told the attorney the truth. If he keeps pressing you, then repeat that you don't know that person no matter what others say about it. Tell him you have nothing more to say.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:10 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,258,568 times
I would tread extremely carefully. Please consider: What on earth could still be actionable after five years? In a civil/ employment case?

It appears more likely that this "attorney" is attempting to entrap you somehow. Imagine a world where people sued one another for things that happened more than three years prior. Bedlam. Almost all potential civil cases exhaust their statute of limitations by the second year after the "event".

Old 02-23-2018, 04:15 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,796,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I would tread extremely carefully. Please consider: What on earth could still be actionable after five years? In a civil/ employment case?

It appears more likely that this "attorney" is attempting to entrap you somehow. Imagine a world where people sued one another for things that happened more than three years prior. Bedlam. Almost all potential civil cases exhaust their statute of limitations by the second year after the "event".
Agree. Refuse to talk to anyone about this, and if these parties persist then tell them you are going to go to the police with a harassment complaint.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,221,129 times
So what exactly did the lawyer accuse you of doing that's making you feel bad?

I read but not understand - the lawyer was only asking you for information about another employee? So what s the big deal if you just say you don't know the employee?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:25 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,125,878 times
Simply respond with “I have no comment, goodbye”. Every subsequent call gets the same response.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:34 PM

296 posts, read 574,487 times
Thank You so much everyone!! I appreciate your helpful comments!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,003,114 times
It was five years ago. Not your problem/headache anymore. Tell them you have no comment, and to get stuffed (if necessary [do it!!]) and just hang up. You don't have to discolse anything. If they keep it up file an harassment complaint.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,947,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
So what exactly did the lawyer accuse you of doing that's making you feel bad?

I read but not understand - the lawyer was only asking you for information about another employee? So what s the big deal if you just say you don't know the employee?

I agree, very little info to go on. A phone call is simply that, and he said he didn't know the person, end of story.

Must be a lot more to this that we are not being told.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,495,251 times
Don't answer future calls from this number, and let all numbers from unknown persons go to voicemail. They'll leave a message if it's important, then you can decide whether you want to call them back. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment