Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:51 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,929,245 times

Advertisements

$150k isn't that much...and why wouldn't you take your family with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:55 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,136,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
After what I've been through over the past few years...probably not. I try to never say "never"; however, my most recent employer showed me just how important support networks are, and they are pretty necessary for me. So thank you, crappy employer. You illustrated what's important in life and what happens when people value careers over being decent human beings.
I dont work ot or do extra unless it is on something that I take with me career wise (such as studying for a professional cert, license, etc) that is universally recognized by employers, govt agencies, etc.

Just checking boxes inside a given corporate structure that have no meaning outside of that structure is a fools errand, maybe you hope to be promoted, but I have watched people be promoted and then laid off a few short years later. They got the slightly higher wage and perks for 2-3 years and then bye bye.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
$150k isn't that much...and why wouldn't you take your family with you?
The average American makes about $35k a year. All moves aren't permanent. Spending a couple of years overseas can set one up for greater promotions when they return to the US.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The average American makes about $35k a year. All moves aren't permanent. Spending a couple of years overseas can set one up for greater promotions when they return to the US.
How does it set you up for greater promotion?

Also just because there are people starving in Africa does not make 150k alot of money, its decent money, not ALOT.

You can live decently and save a respectable amount to maybe start a real buisness. But you wont be living on marthas vinyard with 150k a year.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:12 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,481,174 times
Quote:
The average American makes about $35k a year.
...and a lot of Americans are in debt because they're trying to maintain expensive lifestyles (usually to impress others). It's not how much you make. It's how much you keep. Income does not equal wealth. Why do you think CEOs make these grand "I'm taking a $1 salary!" gestures? Because they don't need the income (and also to avoid taxes).

Old 03-18-2018, 03:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
How does it set you up for greater promotion?

Also just because there are people starving in Africa does not make 150k alot of money, its decent money, not ALOT.

You can live decently and save a respectable amount to maybe start a real buisness. But you wont be living on marthas vinyard with 150k a year.
My sister had a specific job she wanted in the US with a specific company. She did not make it past round 1 of interviews initially. Then she did a job with a well-known foreign company in the field and I think it helped her get that job. It did not pay much and like the OP’s job was in a high COL country, but most of her expenses were covered.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My sister had a specific job she wanted in the US with a specific company. She did not make it past round 1 of interviews initially. Then she did a job with a well-known foreign company in the field and I think it helped her get that job. It did not pay much and like the OP’s job was in a high COL country, but most of her expenses were covered.
Yes, if you have no experience at all and by happen chance you are able to get that experience over seas and have absolutly no ties or significant reasons to stay in the USA then its a good deal to check that experience box where the US company was unwilling to hire due to labor saturation.

But its not because it was over seas but rather because they got the desired experience. Of course most desirable companies want you to have 3-5 years minimum .... do you want to live in China for 5 years.

Its not like you can pop over there get your 6 months experience in and then go to work for google. So unless she was loving it over there, it is a pissing away 5 years of your life in the hopes that many a barron will smile upon you.

Some people do stuff like that, thats not how I choose to live my life, that sets you up to have a possible significant regret if things dont pan out. I dont want to live or die with regrets in life.

Thinking back about how I spent 5 years doing something I didnt want to do and it didnt pay off, nope, maybe if I got a contract that said when I get done I have X years with desirable company with graduated wage increases etc etc and if they flake out I cash in and retire .... maybe.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:55 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,929,245 times
Quote:
It depends what you do. $150k is a low to mid range salary for my profession, not "uproot your life to move" money.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It depends what you do. $150k is a low to mid range salary for my profession, not "uproot your life to move" money.
True but we don't know the OP's situation. For him, it was.

If someone was making $90k or less, they probably should take it.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,590,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
We have pretty much decided to proceed. The decision deadline is imminent because the project work for the new year is starting over there. Wife and I sketched out this high level plan:

1. I will find a very inexpensive housing (room in a flat, basically back to college days) and keep expenses very low. I will eat primarily at the hawker centers, take public transportation, pretty much live like a local. No beer except the free beer at company events; entertainment will be mainly surfing the internet which is free. I think I can keep my monthly living expenses to under $1200 USD.

2. With my 30 days annual leave plus the 10 Singapore public holidays that amount to about 6-7 weeks that I can spread among 4 trips back to US. A few untimely public holidays cannot be utilized.

3. We will chat via Skype and Facetime during my lunch hour, which is just after dinner in CA; and just before I go to sleep around 11, which is when they eat breakfast. This is pretty much what an average father sees his kids during a normal weekday.

4. During summer time, we will send kids to Singapore for 4-6 weeks to live with me (wife stays in US but may take a vacation there for 2 weeks). I will rent a service apartment short term for that period. On weekends I will take them to neighboring countries. This is extra expenses but will give me a lot more time with the kids. I consider this part of cost of doing business there.

5. Saving money is what justifies this whole thing. So a final accounting: My biggest cost will be tax; SG does have a lower rate about 1/2 of US. My second biggest expense will be the living expense. My 3rd biggest expense will be the plane tickets to and from SG. After these 3 big ticket items there really isn't anything else and anticipate being able to save at least $8000-$9000 a month. We think that's worth the sacrifice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Reporting live from Singapore...

Attachment 196073
//www.city-data.com/forum/50399820-post98.html

^^^^

3 months ago you were living in Singapore looking to move back to the US.

If you were already there over 3 months ago why are you acting like you just now made the decision and the move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment