Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 PM

3,716 posts, read 2,456,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Hello,
I left a former employer five years ago after twenty years. I just received a phone call from an attorney from the company today requesting information from an employee that I did not even work with during my time with the company. I informed the attorney that I did not know the employee he was speaking of but he mentioned two former co workers informed him that I had known this employee. I did not leave the company on good terms and I am disappointed that my name is being falsely brought up by these two former co-workers. Can you please give me your opinion on how you would handle this situation? My family is very upset this occurring after leaving the company five years ago and felt it was unnecessary. I would appreciate any suggestions you have regarding this issue. Thank You.
This is too vague. Not enough details what it's regarding.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think this may be about.

As other posters have noted 5 years seems likely past the time limit / statute of limitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,701,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Unless I am missing something, I don't see any mention of lawsuit in the first post
What do you think of when you get called by a lawyer?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:36 PM

3,716 posts, read 2,456,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Not a lawsuit about me.

Often a lawsuit regarding another person the lawyer is representing.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:40 PM

13,172 posts, read 21,204,198 times
Quote:
A single call with the threat of a possible major lawsuit wouldn't concern you? It would concern most people for sure.
What lawsuit???? The only ones mentioning anything dealing with a legal problem were the dolts who responded to a candle on the mantel with their own made up doom and gloom of another Chicago Fire!

18,813 posts, read 32,701,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Not a lawsuit about me.

Often a lawsuit regarding another person the lawyer is representing.
Lawsuit being the operative word.

1,660 posts, read 1,220,912 times
Quote:
I thought lawsuits are served by registered mail to ensure the person getting sued received it. Surely not by phone

Old 02-23-2018, 10:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,260,371 times
The lawyer may simply be exercising due diligence, performing a background check on a prospective employee for a job that may be a sensitive position.

If you knew of the employee, but didn't have any interaction with the employee, then that's all that needs to be said.

There's no reason to go pulling your hair out.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:46 AM

679 posts, read 816,461 times
Slander, no. Poor decisions by friends or colleagues, yes.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,758,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
This is too vague. Not enough details what it's regarding.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think this may be about.

As other posters have noted 5 years seems likely past the time limit / statute of limitations.
It could be about something RE discrimination, and the attorney is trying to call other people to see if they had similar experiences. The OP said s/he left on bad terms, so the attorney is just doing his job in trying to gather information.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,124,458 times
Quote:
A single call with the threat of a possible major lawsuit wouldn't concern you? It would concern most people for sure.
You are massively overreacting.

This was a question about some other, random, unknown employee. No lawsuit is implied.

If you were to hire a lawyer, what would you even have them do?

OP, ignore the calls. You are not required to speak to anybody if you don’t want to, and it seems that you don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment