Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:40 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,176,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
nonetheless, it's happening. I just wasn't sure if i should go in monday and quit on the spot, or give them a week notice....i suppose i could do the latter.....
It would be a professional courtesy to give the week's notice, and if they don't want you to work out the week, they'll let you know. Frankly, the other place should not expect you to start before 2 weeks. It's pretty standard and they should be reasonable about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 07:45 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,321,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
It would be a professional courtesy to give the week's notice, and if they don't want you to work out the week, they'll let you know. Frankly, the other place should not expect you to start before 2 weeks. It's pretty standard and they should be reasonable about it.
I didn't tell them that I started a new job 3 weeks ago. They didn't ask and I didn't tell....

Old 02-24-2018, 09:38 AM

10,995 posts, read 20,650,430 times
Accept the new offer and their preferred start date. Then inform your current employer. I wouldn't tell the new company about your current employer
unless directly asked.

Don't include this short-term job on your resume.

Actually quitting sooner than later is often better for the firm as they can go back to their 2nd choice, the recruitment is still fresh. If they ask why tell them the truth, the offer - including fringe benefits - is much better but do not share the name. Thank them for their time.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,176,326 times
Quote:
I didn't tell them that I started a new job 3 weeks ago. They didn't ask and I didn't tell....
Are they under the impression that you are unemployed?

Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,017,580 times
You need to do what you need to do.You can't help it if these offers came at the time that they did.Just let the current company know that it's not working out, you got a better offer and you have to take it.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:46 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,321,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Accept the new offer and their preferred start date. Then inform your current employer. I wouldn't tell the new company about your current employer
unless directly asked.

Don't include this short-term job on your resume.

Actually quitting sooner than later is often better for the firm as they can go back to their 2nd choice, the recruitment is still fresh. If they ask why tell them the truth, the offer - including fringe benefits - is much better but do not share the name. Thank them for their time.
Exactly what my plan is. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Are they under the impression that you are unemployed?
Yes.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,113,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Don't feel guilty about anything. Companies lay off and fire people all the time. They don't feel guilty about it. Why should you? It is just a business decision.

I would take the offer without hesitation.

Companies will fire you or lay you off with no hesitation. It's a two way street as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:09 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,580,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
3 days and you already had TWO job offers at that type of salary?? How do people do it.. Amazes me. I could spend 3 YEARS looking for work once I get laid off.. Nevermind 3 days, even if I have all the relevant job experience, education etc. Hell, I can't even get to the starting point of an interview process. I swear my resume just falls into a black hole of despair once I hit "submit" . Unreal..

Looks like I need to leave America and try my hand in a new country somewheres
We don't know what type of work he does? You may have completely different skills.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:23 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,025,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
We don't know what type of work he does? You may have completely different skills.
No.. But if you have education, relevant work experience to the field, and performance awards you should be able to at LEAST get some interviews out of it if nothing else.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 PM

5,850 posts, read 3,280,296 times
Quote:
So, after 9 years of employment at my previous company, I found myself laid off. No worries....as I got two job offers only 3 days after that, since I had been looking for a couple of months prior to that. So, I ended up accepting one of those offers at ~130k, but the benefits are poor....
I had always had my eye on this 3rd company and had interviewed with them only a few days after the layoff....

Long story short, the 3rd "ideal" company just made an offer of 140k plus insanely good benefits, after I've been working here for 3 weeks! Gonna take the offer for sure....but wondering how to tell the current company! They want the start date to be in a week!!! Yikes!

Thoughts?
Think about it this way. You need to be as ruthless as the nine year company was in throwing your standard of living in the crapper. Get the offer in writing from the ideal company and tell the company that you are working at no hard feelings but the benefits at ideal company are just too good to pass up. You will realize just how valuable those benefits are when you have a wife and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment