Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 PM

220 posts, read 145,907 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't dicker over start time with the better offer. You can be apologetic but explain the situation and thank them for their offer but you have to do what's in your best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,754,922 times
You haven’t been at the company that long. Give them the week notice. Why would you give a 2 week notice if you’ve only been there 3 weeks? Take the offer and run! Don’t feel bad either! Tell them thanks for the opportunity, but you’ve decided to accept another position elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:15 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,306,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You haven’t been at the company that long. Give them the week notice. Why would you give a 2 week notice if you’ve only been there 3 weeks? Take the offer and run! Don’t feel bad either! Tell them thanks for the opportunity, but you’ve decided to accept another position elsewhere.
Yeah, makes sense...

Old 02-24-2018, 09:18 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,608,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So, after 9 years of employment at my previous company, I found myself laid off. No worries....as I got two job offers only 3 days after that, since I had been looking for a couple of months prior to that. So, I ended up accepting one of those offers at ~130k, but the benefits are poor....
I had always had my eye on this 3rd company and had interviewed with them only a few days after the layoff....

Long story short, the 3rd "ideal" company just made an offer of 140k plus insanely good benefits, after I've been working here for 3 weeks! Gonna take the offer for sure....but wondering how to tell the current company! They want the start date to be in a week!!! Yikes!

Thoughts?

If you've only been there for three weeks, there will still be some other finalists for the job, who may be available. Unless they invested some money in moving you to the area, they won't be out much. You could tell them that after three weeks, you just didn't think that you and the company made a very good fit.

If you want to tell them that their poor benefit package was one reason for your early departure, you could, but I wouldn't discuss your new job------they don't need to know anything about that. It might lead to some conflict between the companies, with you at the center.

And as you say, you'd been interested in working for this new company for some time. You should work where you are most happy, if it's possible. All those concerned, will be better off, if the employee is pleased with the job, rather than being dissatisfied.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 02-24-2018 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If you've only been there for three weeks, they will still be some other finalists for the job, who may be available. Unless they invested some money in moving you to the area, they won't be out much. You could tell them that after three weeks, you just didn't think that you and the company made a very good fit.

If you want to tell them that their poor benefit package was one reason for your early departure, you could, but I wouldn't discuss your new job------they don't need to know anything about that. It might lead to some conflict between the companies, with you at the center.

And as you say, you'd been interested in working for this new company for some time. You should work where you are most happy, if it's possible. All those concerned, will be better off, if the employee is pleased with the job, rather than being dissatisfied.

Thank you for the note. I agree.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,544,097 times
Quote:
So, after 9 years of employment at my previous company, I found myself laid off. No worries....as I got two job offers only 3 days after that<>but wondering how to tell the current company! They want the start date to be in a week!!! Yikes!
Thoughts?
Companies are less loyal to you that girl friends. Too many stories around of staying with company B and then getting laid off.
"Follow the money (and benefits)"

Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
Jump on the new job. Congrats. You have been given some good exit strategies by previous posters. Keep us posted.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 AM

So, I've already accepted the new job....they will be doing a background check etc next week.
Tomorrow, I'll be typing up a letter and handing it in, along with my 1 week notice. Problem is that my boss is in a different state...haha gotta figure this one out....

If he asks where im going, I may tell them that its with a govt agency, and im not allowed to say where... just to make it exciting and mysterious....

Old 02-25-2018, 11:22 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,670,492 times
Quote:
Long story short, the 3rd "ideal" company just made an offer of 140k plus insanely good benefits, after I've been working here for 3 weeks! Gonna take the offer for sure....but wondering how to tell the current company! They want the start date to be in a week!!!
Well, you're going to eff over your current employer anyway, as you've stated. So why worry about it? Screw them all the way. Walk out the door. Maybe kick over some furniture on your way out.

And maybe hope that this new company doesn't fold, or find out you aren't the right match, or realize the CEOs nephew needs a job...

Old 02-25-2018, 06:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,625,756 times
I was in this exact situation before. I had been with the company two weeks when I received the "better offer". At the time, I was still going through onboarding and hadn't made a contribution to the new org. Told the manager about my new offer. We both realized that there was nothing I could do seeing that I had only been on the job two weeks. They allowed me to turn my badge in and leave that same day.

Things happen. Do what you have to do. It's your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment