Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

So, after 9 years of employment at my previous company, I found myself laid off. No worries....as I got two job offers only 3 days after that, since I had been looking for a couple of months prior to that. So, I ended up accepting one of those offers at ~130k, but the benefits are poor....
I had always had my eye on this 3rd company and had interviewed with them only a few days after the layoff....

Long story short, the 3rd "ideal" company just made an offer of 140k plus insanely good benefits, after I've been working here for 3 weeks! Gonna take the offer for sure....but wondering how to tell the current company! They want the start date to be in a week!!! Yikes!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So, after 9 years of employment at my previous company, I found myself laid off. No worries....as I got two job offers only 3 days after that, since I had been looking for a couple of months prior to that. So, I ended up accepting one of those offers at ~130k, but the benefits are poor....
I had always had my eye on this 3rd company and had interviewed with them only a few days after the layoff....

Long story short, the 3rd "ideal" company just made an offer of 140k plus insanely good benefits, after I've been working here for 3 weeks! Gonna take the offer for sure....but wondering how to tell the current company! They want the start date to be in a week!!! Yikes!

Thoughts?
3 days and you already had TWO job offers at that type of salary?? How do people do it.. Amazes me. I could spend 3 YEARS looking for work once I get laid off.. Nevermind 3 days, even if I have all the relevant job experience, education etc. Hell, I can't even get to the starting point of an interview process. I swear my resume just falls into a black hole of despair once I hit "submit" . Unreal..

Looks like I need to leave America and try my hand in a new country somewheres

Old 02-23-2018, 06:54 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Go with the start date of the new better company. Tell your present company that you are quitting RIGHT NOW, but as a courtesy you can stay until one day before your new job is going to start.

Don't feel guilty about anything. Companies lay off and fire people all the time. They don't feel guilty about it. Why should you? It is just a business decision.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
3 days and you already had TWO job offers at that type of salary?? How do people do it.. Amazes me. I could spend 3 YEARS looking for work once I get laid off.. Nevermind 3 days, even if I have all the relevant job experience, education etc. Hell, I can't even get to the starting point of an interview process. I swear my resume just falls into a black hole of despair once I hit "submit" . Unreal..

well, as i mentioned, i had been looking for two months prior to my lay off...so the 'having 2 offers after 3 days' isn't really fair ;-)
Also, 140k may seem like a lot, but in some areas (DC/San Fran/NYC/etc.), it's peanuts. i live in Virginia and thankfully, i've brought our expenses way low, through eliminating mortgages, and car payments,...so we really could live on a 50 or 60k salary at a bare minimum, so the rest goes into savings, which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Go with the start date of the new better company. Tell your present company that you are quitting RIGHT NOW, but as a courtesy you can stay until one day before your new job is going to start.

Don't feel guilty about anything. Companies lay off and fire people all the time. They don't feel guilty about it. Why should you? It is just a business decision.
Yeah, i'm with you on that one. the company i was at for 9 years didn't think twice to lay me and a bunch of other folks off.....(or maybe they did and i just don't know about it lol).....i just feel a little bad, because i've started to build relationships and they're very nice people....

nonetheless, it's happening. I just wasn't sure if i should go in monday and quit on the spot, or give them a week notice....i suppose i could do the latter.....

Old 02-23-2018, 07:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

It's all about the industry and line of business. Most low paying jobs locally are even lower paying in foreign countries or have higher taxes.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:22 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
People do quit within the first 3 months. At some companies, they use it as a probationary period for both parties.

Hopefully, your managers at company 1 don't know the managers at company 2.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
You can quit and turn em down now if you want. If you are old school 1 week max till you quit for the better paying job.

The work environment damaged beyond repair after recession. Millenials quit randomly all the time whenever they get a better offer and many people no longer follow the stupid 2 weeks notice rule anymore. The new and common mentality is the following:

If my boss can fire me at anytime he or she wants, without warning, regardless if I'm a top performing employee, doesn't care about my financial situation, and possibly no severance then...**** you I can leave whenever the **** I want."

Get with the times loyalty is out and they wont take it personally.
Just tell Hiring Manger first or HR if you want to avoid awkwardness.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 PM

405 posts, read 572,908 times
I would ask if I could start in 2 weeks vs. 1. The worst that could happen is they tell you no. Then just give your notice either way, they will move on.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:35 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post

This

If you work somewhere for years and have a mission critical job function, advanced notice is a big deal. You just started. There is no way you’re in a mission critical job function. A week notice is plenty.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This

If you work somewhere for years and have a mission critical job function, advanced notice is a big deal. You just started. There is no way you’re in a mission critical job function. A week notice is plenty.

I'm the PM of a very time sensitive project...but I'm sure they'll be ok sooner or later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment