Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM

44,413 posts, read 20,164,065 times

Advertisements

When I was downsized out of my job of 21 years at age 53, I thought I'd never be able to find another good job. However, I spent more than 40 hours per week "working" -- submitting resumes, contacting companies directly, and seeking out as many resources as I could find. I didn't find job fairs at all helpful. What I did find helpful was attending weekly meetings sponsored by Work One Indiana https://www.indianacareerready.com/, a free service provided by my state to help people network and find jobs. They help everyone from those with GEDs to graduate degrees; from entry-level retail jobs to high-end corporate jobs. At the meetings, people from all walks of life shared their experiences, leads on jobs, interview tips, etc.

Two months after I lost my job, I started my new job and it's the best employer I've ever worked for.

OP, perhaps there is a similar [to Work One Indiana] resource in your state and your area which you can contact. If not, surely the unemployment office has some resources that may be helpful to you. Just keep trying; don't give up!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:54 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,078,523 times
I am applying for a year and have had two interviews. I have been sending out 1-15 applications DAILY in the past 2 months and have hardly any feedback, and I DO have several degrees.

I even had my resume done for $300. 90% of my past jobs I got through connections, networking. And I think that most posted jobs are either already taken or will get occupied internally. That's the game.

Hang in there, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:56 AM

189 posts, read 172,978 times
Recruiters are terrible also, I’ve been to several in the past where you have to fill out tons of paperwork when everything is on your resume. Take Word, Excel tests etc.....are told you are a great candidate, and never hear anything.

On another note, why do employment agencies, and companies you are interviewing with have you fill out an application when you have a resume? You have to write out descriptions of your job in a tiny area when all of that is already typed out?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,170,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
From everything else you've written, though, you should consider using whatever resources are available to find a better husband as well. The one you have is doing a terrible job.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 03-01-2018, 10:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,820,558 times
You seem to have a lot of experience, why aren't you using your networks? Friends, former coworkers, your professional association...

Relying on job clearing house sites isn't exactly doing nothing, but it's close.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You seem to have a lot of experience, why aren't you using your networks? Friends, former coworkers, your professional association...

Relying on job clearing house sites isn't exactly doing nothing, but it's close.
Unless your friends are key decision makers, this doesn't help much either. I've gone to people, and people have come to me, in hopes that either of us could help with the other's job search. Often times, I will forward their resume and info and put in a good word to the manager, but I have no power whatsoever to make that call. And more often than not, they don't even get an interview. Why? Because the manager already has their own person in mind.

So unless all your friends are managers or directors, or extremely close friends/confidants with these people, reaching out to them is about just has useful as applying for the job on your own via the Internet.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,586,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
So unless all your friends are managers or directors, or extremely close friends/confidants with these people, reaching out to them is about just has useful as applying for the job on your own via the Internet.
Why not consider friends as an extended network? They hear an opening at a vendor of theirs and tell you about a job you would never know of. Has nothing to do with getting you an interview directly.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:34 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Why not consider friends as an extended network? They hear an opening at a vendor of theirs and tell you about a job you would never know of. Has nothing to do with getting you an interview directly.
True, I'm not disputing that leads aren't useful. But in reference to OP's topic, it does little to help her get any responses or interviews. And then if you don't get an interview, there's that awkward moment after where you have to say sorry that you couldn't have been more help to you.

I'm pretty close with my director, and even some other directors in the org, and I've referred candidates directly to these people. But since I'm not a key decision maker, I have little influence on who they choose, or if someone has already chosen to fill the role for them.

Last edited by Left-handed; 03-01-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 11:46 AM

6,415 posts, read 4,140,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I’ve been sending resumes to many sales support and customer service positions on Indeed and Zip Recruiter. At least 30 posting in the last few days and my husband keeps saying I’m “not doing anything”. And I should have several interview lined up by now. How can I have interviews lined up if nobody is responding? My resume is professional and all my jobs are long term. 3 years (the one I’m at now), 5 years, 7 years. Many of my friends can’t find jobs either and all my husband keeps saying is there are hundreds of jobs and I should be getting many calls so I must “not being doing anything”. I said it might be because I don’t have a degree but he said that has nothing to do with it. He makes me feel so frustrated and like a loser. What else can I do? He tells me to take few days off and go to the unemployment office and they have all the “resources” to help me find a new job. Why would I take a few days off to spend at an unemployment office when everything is done online? I need to save those days off to interview if I ever get any. When the economy is bad I still got calls. Now, nothing. But of course my husband keeps telling me I’m doing nothing and he’d have like 10 interview lined up if he wanted them.
Also do you think not having a degree hurts me?
I'm very sorry to hear your husband is stressing you out like that. He of all people should be the understanding one. Everyone knows job searching is one of the most stressful activity a modern human can do.

My husband just finished school this past December. I told him before hand not to apply for job because I didn't know where I would end up because of my job. Last month, I finally settled down permanently at a location we both liked. He then started applying. I have been telling him every-day to not get stressed out about it because as long as one of us is working we will be fine.

Hang in there. When it rains it pours. For a month, he did not hear anything from anyone. And then all of a sudden last week they called him all at once. This week he had an interview every day of the week. And during the week, several more companies called and they are quickly filling up his schedule next week.

Don't give up. It will be fine.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:47 PM

29,542 posts, read 22,845,697 times
It really is hard to apply to multiple jobs by sending them resumes online. I've done that in past when I was younger and with relevant job experience, and the only response I got was "thank you for your application, we have decided to move on to other..."

In looking at my career over the past two decades plus, every single job I got was due to someone that I knew that worked there and who put in a good word for me. For my current job, I had previously applied multiple times online and was rejected each time. However, someone I knew had started work there, and he took my resume and gave it to the hiring manager with a glowing recommendation. I got response right away, was interviewed, and then offered the job.

I know it doesn't help the OP but just saying that having a network of people you can refer to later can help. Cold online applications, job fairs, none of those approaches ever helped me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment