Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,793,474 times

Advertisements

If you make a lot of applications and send in resumes and do not get even one interview, then quit blaming the system, and realize it is your fault you are not getting interviews. One or more of the following reasons will be why you are not getting interviews.

1: You are applying for jobs you would like to have, but are marginally qualified for. Others have more qualifications and backgrounds for that particular job, and they are picked over you. If you combine this with #2 below you are not ever going to get the interview.

2: You have a lousy one resume for every job, that does not demonstrate why you are qualified for this particular job, even though you could be the ideal candidate. If you are not willing to put forth the effort to make a resume that fits that particular job, then don't expect to even get an interview.

Those two reasons alone, are almost in all cases, the reason you do not get an interview.

Lets say you get an interview, and so not get the job. the following reasons that a lot of qualified people do not get hied following their interview.

1: You act like you are frightened to death of having to talk to the HM, etc. If you want the job, walk into the interview as the most confident person possible, with a positive attitude. Look them in the eyes, not looking at the floor, etc. If you are not positive in your appearance and actions, you are not going to get the job.

2: Answer all questions with a positive attitude. That includes the questions you cannot practice such as personality, questions. Some applicants will refuse to answer personal questions they do not like, or give a Smart A**** answer. If you do so, you will not get the job.

In today's world if someone or some company puts an ad in the papers, on line, etc., they are going to get a number of applications. Only the apps that fit that particular job, are going to get interviewed.

If you get an interview, you are going to have to answer all questions with a positive attitude if you want the job.

3:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 02:18 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,001,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If you make a lot of applications and send in resumes and do not get even one interview, then quit blaming the system, and realize it is your fault you are not getting interviews. One or more of the following reasons will be why you are not getting interviews.

1: You are applying for jobs you would like to have, but are marginally qualified for. Others have more qualifications and backgrounds for that particular job, and they are picked over you. If you combine this with #2 below you are not ever going to get the interview.

2: You have a lousy one resume for every job, that does not demonstrate why you are qualified for this particular job, even though you could be the ideal candidate. If you are not willing to put forth the effort to make a resume that fits that particular job, then don't expect to even get an interview.

Those two reasons alone, are almost in all cases, the reason you do not get an interview.

Lets say you get an interview, and so not get the job. the following reasons that a lot of qualified people do not get hied following their interview.

1: You act like you are frightened to death of having to talk to the HM, etc. If you want the job, walk into the interview as the most confident person possible, with a positive attitude. Look them in the eyes, not looking at the floor, etc. If you are not positive in your appearance and actions, you are not going to get the job.

2: Answer all questions with a positive attitude. That includes the questions you cannot practice such as personality, questions. Some applicants will refuse to answer personal questions they do not like, or give a Smart A**** answer. If you do so, you will not get the job.

In today's world if someone or some company puts an ad in the papers, on line, etc., they are going to get a number of applications. Only the apps that fit that particular job, are going to get interviewed.

If you get an interview, you are going to have to answer all questions with a positive attitude if you want the job.

3:

What if you have had your resume professionally edited/reviewed , and are applying for positions you have an extensive background in and the education (Bachelors and Masters degree) for and countless awards for/raving performance reviews for and STILL not getting your foot in the door for an interview or even getting referred ??

..Because the system is perfect correct? No flaw in it. There seems to be an inordinate number of people that want to blame the applicant for all the FLAWS in the system and not the rigged game the hiring process has become.

There is a lot of this "I got mine so to hell with you, There must be something wrong with you" mentality today

Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 PM

1,063 posts, read 698,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
What if you have had your resume professionally edited/reviewed , and are applying for positions you have an extensive background in and the education (Bachelors and Masters degree) for and countless awards for/raving performance reviews for and STILL not getting your foot in the door for an interview or even getting referred ??

..Because the system is perfect correct? No flaw in it. There seems to be an inordinate number of people that want to blame the applicant for all the FLAWS in the system and not the rigged game the hiring process has become.

There is a lot of this "I got mine so to hell with you, There must be something wrong with you" mentality today
Agreed. I'm tired of it as well. I am under no delusion that the current system is working or valid for the majority of people.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,278,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I’ve been sending resumes to many sales support and customer service positions on Indeed and Zip Recruiter. At least 30 posting in the last few days and my husband keeps saying I’m “not doing anything”. And I should have several interview lined up by now. How can I have interviews lined up if nobody is responding? My resume is professional and all my jobs are long term. 3 years (the one I’m at now), 5 years, 7 years. Many of my friends can’t find jobs either and all my husband keeps saying is there are hundreds of jobs and I should be getting many calls so I must “not being doing anything”. I said it might be because I don’t have a degree but he said that has nothing to do with it. He makes me feel so frustrated and like a loser. What else can I do? He tells me to take few days off and go to the unemployment office and they have all the “resources” to help me find a new job. Why would I take a few days off to spend at an unemployment office when everything is done online? I need to save those days off to interview if I ever get any. When the economy is bad I still got calls. Now, nothing. But of course my husband keeps telling me I’m doing nothing and he’d have like 10 interview lined up if he wanted them.
Also do you think not having a degree hurts me?
The most pertinent question of all needs to be asked now.

How old are you ?. There was a time when being over 50 was too long in the tooth for consideration in many non exec roles. Nowadays, as I have seen, the cutoff age has gone down to 35. I have talked with job seekers in their late 30's and early 40's and the overall feedback was citing age as the main factor for non consideration in the jobs applied.

I can say from personal experience how age is probably the most critical factor in getting a job and most certainly staying at that same position. In my late 30's and just last year, did a whole barrage of software design tests for a company in the Bay Area. After passing them all and conducting two phone interviews, a skype interview and an in person interview, finally signed the contract for a consultant role at a hip company. Most of the employees were early 20's fresh out of college and not real world experience. It became apparent to myself that the place , not just due to the age difference, was not going to work for me. About two months in the job, got a call into the boss office, the hr person there too, and told the contract was not going to be renewed. They promised to pay me for the remaining few days till the end of the month and could leave that day. On one condition. I sign a employment termination form with the express language concerning the reasons for termination was not down to age. Looking back on it all, the reason for termination was mostly due to age. As I recall upon reading the fine print during the boss exit interview, both the boss and hr person were anxiously awaiting a signature and in fact could see them both glance at each other in anticipation of signing the form.

Fortunately, I am now working for a company with less 20 somethings to deal with & that makes quite a difference overall.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,001,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
The most pertinent question of all needs to be asked now.

How old are you ?. There was a time when being over 50 was too long in the tooth for consideration in many non exec roles. Nowadays, as I have seen, the cutoff age has gone down to 35. I have talked with job seekers in their late 30's and early 40's and the overall feedback was citing age as the main factor for non consideration in the jobs applied.

I can say from personal experience how age is probably the most critical factor in getting a job and most certainly staying at that same position. In my late 30's and just last year, did a whole barrage of software design tests for a company in the Bay Area. After passing them all and conducting two phone interviews, a skype interview and an in person interview, finally signed the contract for a consultant role at a hip company. Most of the employees were early 20's fresh out of college and not real world experience. It became apparent to myself that the place , not just due to the age difference, was not going to work for me. About two months in the job, got a call into the boss office, the hr person there too, and told the contract was not going to be renewed. They promised to pay me for the remaining few days till the end of the month and could leave that day. On one condition. I sign a employment termination form with the express language concerning the reasons for termination was not down to age. Looking back on it all, the reason for termination was mostly due to age. As I recall upon reading the fine print during the boss exit interview, both the boss and hr person were anxiously awaiting a signature and in fact could see them both glance at each other in anticipation of signing the form.

Fortunately, I am now working for a company with less 20 somethings to deal with & that makes quite a difference overall.
Yep Age discrimination is rampant now too. I don't know how a "cut off age" can be so young like 35, when you probably have AT LEAST 30 years of a career left Makes no sense. When you're 30-35 you've only been in the work force for 10 years. For christ sakes

Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,125,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

Who are you to tell us who is and isn't qualified? Please believe me when I say I've dealt with 'highly qualified' people that amounted to nothing.

And by system, which system are you referring to? Every company has a different way of screening thru the candidates.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:54 PM

192 posts, read 147,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Who are you to tell us who is and isn't qualified? Please believe me when I say I've dealt with 'highly qualified' people that amounted to nothing.

And by system, which system are you referring to? Every company has a different way of screening thru the candidates.
I am guessing it's the attitude of the applicant and not the resume.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 AM

757 posts, read 1,095,854 times
OP, a couple of suggestions.

1.) Read "Knock 'em Dead" by Martin Yate. He has some effective strategies for job seekers. Seriously, buy this book.
2.) Replace husband. With loved ones like that, who needs enemies? Tell hubby to get off his butt and help you open some doors. He's supposed to help you not make you feel like a loser. If he can't do that then he should shut his mouth.
3.) There is no silver bullet to getting a job. You need to use ALL of the tools available including networking (both online and in-person), applying for jobs on job sites, seeking out recruiters and speaking with people in a position to hire you. I particularly like LinkedIn.

I know, it's not easy to network and get results. People make it sound like it's simple. It isn't. It takes time and energy. And networking is only as good as the willingness of your network to help you. Many simply don't care and don't want to help unless there's something in it for them.

...on networking, you never know when you may find that one person willing to help. For example, I was on a MeetUp hike this past Saturday. Started chatting with a guy who said, "you know, I know a couple of people that I can introduce you to". It just happened naturally while we both were enjoying something we like to do (hiking).

4.) Follow up on resume submissions. Many don't.
5.) Revise and test new resume formats/contents.
6.) Perhaps hire a career coach?
7.) Take most of the "yeah, me too" C-D posters here with a grain of salt. Most love to gang up on others when the herd starts running their big mouths.
8.) Also, take the cheerleader news of historically low unemployment numbers with a grain of salt too. There's much more to that story like the long-term unemployed and the underemployed (of course that's for a lot of older workers).

Good luck. Stay strong and surround yourself with people who can help support you through this difficult time.

Last edited by UEHelp; 04-24-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,127,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I’ve been sending resumes to many sales support and customer service positions on Indeed and Zip Recruiter. At least 30 posting in the last few days and my husband keeps saying I’m “not doing anything”. And I should have several interview lined up by now. How can I have interviews lined up if nobody is responding? My resume is professional and all my jobs are long term. 3 years (the one I’m at now), 5 years, 7 years. Many of my friends can’t find jobs either and all my husband keeps saying is there are hundreds of jobs and I should be getting many calls so I must “not being doing anything”. I said it might be because I don’t have a degree but he said that has nothing to do with it. He makes me feel so frustrated and like a loser. What else can I do? He tells me to take few days off and go to the unemployment office and they have all the “resources” to help me find a new job. Why would I take a few days off to spend at an unemployment office when everything is done online? I need to save those days off to interview if I ever get any. When the economy is bad I still got calls. Now, nothing. But of course my husband keeps telling me I’m doing nothing and he’d have like 10 interview lined up if he wanted them.
Also do you think not having a degree hurts me?
In my VAST experience of working jobs and applying to jobs, and being both employed and unemployed for various reasons and applying to jobs, I have made the following observations...

1) No matter how bad of a candidate you might seem due to job hopping, short stints, and periods of unemployment, if you have direct, relevant experience, you will get interviews.

2) If you do not have DIRECT experience in the thing that you are applying for but are trying to make any kind of a change, it will be difficult to get interviews to put it lightly.

So, if for instance, you are trying to sell cars or are a customer service rep for vacuums, and you are having problems getting interviews for jobs in those exact things, then it's probably something really glaring on your resume.

Or there is a possibility that if you are applying to jobs that are too popular or generic (Home Depot floor), then there is just too much competition. But only you could tell us that.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM

901 posts, read 748,797 times
OP is "not a member". They must be reading these wall o texts in banned camp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment