Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 03:26 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,018,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
This is the one single thing you've posted that I agree with.
Well were all humans. We have our own opinions, you don't have to agree with everything. But at least look things from other people's point of view and at least CONSIDER things

Life would be pretty boring and counterproductive if everyone agreed on everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 04:03 PM

334 posts, read 222,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Qualifications don't matter anymore. Hell the leader of the free world isn't even qualified. Why should anyone else be? ROFLMAO
I've said numerous times over the years (even before Trump and Obama were in office), "It's easier to become the President of the United States than it is to land a decent job in the private sector."

Old 03-03-2018, 04:57 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,592,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
1000% agree. I've heard so many times that "it's not what you know, it's who you know."
for someone who thinks knowledge should be at the top... you seem to overlook "who" you know as something besides knowledge...

what's the difference between referring to a book, and referring to a person? nothing, the end result is getting it done

if you think you can get through life by living out of a book, you're going to have a very short chapter in life

"who" you know means more because the "who" was the person capable of writing the book to the "what" you learned...

Old 03-03-2018, 05:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,115,836 times
Quote:
Or.. Hiring a nephew/otherwise relative or friend of the hiring manager or some higher up were being "qualified" doesn't matter at all.

Qualifications don't matter anymore.
These are baseless accusations for which you have provided no evidence.

Sure, nepotism does occur, but at nowhere near the frequency you assert.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:26 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,018,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
These are baseless accusations for which you have provided no evidence.

Sure, nepotism does occur, but at nowhere near the frequency you assert.
The fact you said nepotism DOES occur supports my accusation of it.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The fact you said nepotism DOES occur supports my accusation of it.
You frequently assert that jobs are impossible to get because of nepotism, or that the only way to get a good job is through nepotism. In essence, you are implying that it is a widespread practice, the norm rather than the exception.

That simply isn’t true.

I acknowledge murder exists as well. That doesn’t mean that everybody who dies is murdered.

If your inability to understand nuance comes across in person the same way that it comes across on this forum, I am not surprised you have a difficult time at work and in interviews. After all, you don’t seem to understand the very line you quoted. That lack of interpretive ability will make life very challenging for you.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:46 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,674,891 times
[quote=Flexy633;51203353]EXACTLY! I have only received a job offer ONE time by knowing someone. She referred me to the hiring manager, he interviewed me and hired me on the spot. That was back in 1991. Other than that, I have received every call for an interview or job offer on my own without knowing anyone in the company.[/QUOTE]

This is my story as well. Always applied online, and have much success doing so.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:08 PM

[quote=lovely40;51208999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
EXACTLY! I have only received a job offer ONE time by knowing someone. She referred me to the hiring manager, he interviewed me and hired me on the spot. That was back in 1991. Other than that, I have received every call for an interview or job offer on my own without knowing anyone in the company.[/QUOTE]

This is my story as well. Always applied online, and have much success doing so.
Largely true for me as well. I have had 7 professional jobs in my life. 4 of those I had absolutely no connection with the company. 2 others I had met somebody at the company briefly. One company headhunted me.

Some of my applications were online, a few were before online existed.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:48 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,536,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
Also do you think not having a degree hurts me?
YES! Been there done that. Went back to school to finish and it changed my life. Especially after getting the Masters degree.

Its a screening tool. They have to start somewhere, so they toss those with no degrees first.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM

23,567 posts, read 19,351,905 times
[quote=fishbrains;51209572]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post

Largely true for me as well. I have had 7 professional jobs in my life. 4 of those I had absolutely no connection with the company. 2 others I had met somebody at the company briefly. One company headhunted me.

Some of my applications were online, a few were before online existed.
In federal agencies this has been my experience as well. The only "connections" that probably made any difference were skill or experience-based, not people-based. I was a better competitor because I had worked in another office of that agency doing similar work before. I knew systems, applicable laws and regulations, specific technical procedures, knew funding source management, could supervise other technical people in those tasks, or knew the biology of the region. All the new jobs I applied for were in different states, working for people I didn't know and who didn't know me. Again, the skills, accumulated knowledge, and my attitude/motivation were most important and why I was hired. I know....I asked. Even landing a job in an entirely different agency for the first time. My supervisor liked what she heard and read. There were no connections between her and my previous bosses other than getting their funding from Congress. Somehow I doubt that the supervisors lied about why I was hired each time. But then I didn't leave any job on a negative note either. No resignations, less than good performance reviews, no interpersonal issues at any of my workplaces. Sure I decided to move on from a few jobs because the current one wasn't fantastic, so would anyone. But I doubt I left anyone with a bad taste in their mouth.

Oh yeah...back in high school I landed a temporary job at a department store because my mother happened to know one of the department heads. All that got me was a chance. I took it. Did it make or break my future career? No.

As a hiring official I can't recall selecting someone just because they knew someone else. No one ever forced me to select their buddy or their relative either. Frankly I would simply not do it. I DID select them because they had done the work before, especially if they had done it in my region before. Locality in my profession happens to be important. Does someone get the job unfairly because they "knew" something others didn't? No.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-04-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment