Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM

7,984 posts, read 5,022,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
So... you believe that absolutely everyone who applies for any job has some sort of "right" to receive a full, careful review of their resume and a complete, thoughtful introspection into how they might fit even if their resume doesn't immediately speak to the requirements?

There are jobs. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs out there. There absolutely are "too many applicants". People willy-nilly blindly apply for every job they see. Where's the employers "right" to have applicants carefully peruse the job description, do their market research, and only apply to those they're actually a good fit for?

Your endless complaining about reality will never change anything. I've had to sit down with stacks of resumes for one or two jobs, and you had better believe I took every opportunity to toss them as quickly as possible. Multiple typos, bad grammar, spotty job history, descriptions of prior jobs that don't align with what we were looking to hire for, no mention of skills that were hard-and-fast requirements for the position? BOOM, into the recyle bin.

Want your resume to get looked at by a human? Take the trouble to tailor it to the PD. If they say they want at least 5 years in kerflugle horn playing, then have something that specifically says "Over five years experience in kerflugle horn playing". Rewrite the job descriptions of prior jobs to align with what the prospective employer is looking for. Work in the buzzwords that the resume scanner will look for. Or, better yet, take the time and trouble to build out a strong network, so when you're looking, you talk to human beings instead of fill out online forms.

My current job came from them calling me. I had talked to them previously, and we couldn't find a good fit. Instead of grousing about how they screwed me by not immediately hiring me and blaming their people and processes and systems, we left it on very good terms, and I added some of their folks to my network. Result? A year later they called me saying, "We have an opening that's much closer to what you're looking for", and I had a new job.

How do you "build a strong" network exactly? That would entail becoming friends with high end level connections, hiring managers all over the place. Not low end, DISPOSABLE employees like yourself. It doesn't do any good just knowing someone around the same status as you. . . Connections are more based on luck than skill. We are becoming more and more of a less "face time" culture as well. Everything is being done over electronic devices. Long gone are the days we can go into an established company, speak with hiring managers and hand submit our resume/job application to them.

Not everyone can be friends/related with corporate executives/hiring managers. A "strong network" is having connections higher ups. Not other rank and file employees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,597,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
A "strong network" is having connections higher ups. Not other rank and file employees
no, you just want people you can use, how is that a "network"

you excluded people based on them being "rank and file"? even though they are working in the company you want to get into and thus are already ahead of you in terms of knowing what the company wants in an employee

you mentioned you wanted to work for the fed in the past, do you discount any advice by a janitor? because at the end of the day the janitor is a a fed employee and who knows, maybe he does know the director there because janitors work everywhere they tend to know a lot of people too... but you'll never know that since you don't consider it worth your time networking with a "mere" janitor

Old 04-23-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no, you just want people you can use, how is that a "network"

you excluded people based on them being "rank and file"? even though they are working in the company you want to get into and thus are already ahead of you in terms of knowing what the company wants in an employee

you mentioned you wanted to work for the fed in the past, do you discount any advice by a janitor? because at the end of the day the janitor is a a fed employee and who knows, maybe he does know the director there because janitors work everywhere they tend to know a lot of people too... but you'll never know that since you don't consider it worth your time networking with a "mere" janitor
I don't know anyone with a federal job, much less close enough to one where they would take it upon themselves to get me in. But I hear getting a fed job is who you know as well, So SOL there.

Point is the process shouldn't be like this anyways. Its a sick joke. What happened to just being "qualified?" Something wrong with that?

Old 04-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I don't know anyone with a federal job, much less close enough to one where they would take it upon themselves to get me in. But I hear getting a fed job is who you know as well, So SOL there.

Point is the process shouldn't be like this anyways. Its a sick joke. What happened to just being "qualified?" Something wrong with that?
because your definition of "qualified" revolves around how many gold stars you got in school... you aren't in school anymore, and that "qualification" is not the model the rest of society uses

it doesn't matter how fast you can run a race if you show up late to the race... even the slowest runner will win if he was told about the race and started on time

Old 04-23-2018, 11:03 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,218 times
Quote:
How do you "build a strong" network exactly? That would entail becoming friends with high end level connections, hiring managers all over the place. Not low end, DISPOSABLE employees like yourself. It doesn't do any good just knowing someone around the same status as you. . . Connections are more based on luck than skill. We are becoming more and more of a less "face time" culture as well. Everything is being done over electronic devices. Long gone are the days we can go into an established company, speak with hiring managers and hand submit our resume/job application to them.

Not everyone can be friends/related with corporate executives/hiring managers. A "strong network" is having connections higher ups. Not other rank and file employees
I have connections that range all up and down and across the business structure. A connection doesn't need to be a close personal friend or drinking buddy. A connection can be someone with a shared interest. I absolutely have connections at the C-suite level, and not because I'm polo buddies with them.

And what's wrong with having connections with "other rank and file employees"? I know when someone else in my org is hiring... shouldn't I also assume that other people on roughly the same level as me might have similar info?

But you're bound and determined to not even try. It's easier to lie there wallowing in self-pity and believing that since the deck is stacked against you there's no point in making an effort. Yup, the world has moved on. Tough. Deal with it, or it'll roll right over you, as it clearly has been doing for probably years or decades now. Meanwhile, even after the dot-com bubble pop and the real estate bubble pop, along with several layoffs, I and millions of others are doing better than ever.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:09 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,218 times
Quote:
Nobody can "get you in". This is part of your problem... you believe employment is some sort of secret club where only those who know the handshake can come in, and once they're there it's all champagne and caviar and wearing monocles and laughing at the little people. You, very fundamentally, do not know what work is.

Quote:
But it is the way it is, and you need to deal with it as it is. You aren't the one determining what "qualified" means, so you need to bend yourself to their judgment. Or continue to fail.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I have connections that range all up and down and across the business structure. A connection doesn't need to be a close personal friend or drinking buddy. A connection can be someone with a shared interest. I absolutely have connections at the C-suite level, and not because I'm polo buddies with them.

And what's wrong with having connections with "other rank and file employees"? I know when someone else in my org is hiring... shouldn't I also assume that other people on roughly the same level as me might have similar info?

But you're bound and determined to not even try. It's easier to lie there wallowing in self-pity and believing that since the deck is stacked against you there's no point in making an effort. Yup, the world has moved on. Tough. Deal with it, or it'll roll right over you, as it clearly has been doing for probably years or decades now. Meanwhile, even after the dot-com bubble pop and the real estate bubble pop, along with several layoffs, I and millions of others are doing better than ever.
Mehh whatever. I don't have to change with it if its not right. May as well join a doomsday cult. Id rather keep my self pride than have to rely on friends/Relatives to hand me everything. If I don't earn it, and not qualified for it, oh well.. I'll never get it.

When connections trump qualifications/Value etc. you're living in a backwards society. If people don't want to hire me on my merits they can go **** up a rope

Last edited by DorianRo; 04-23-2018 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
When connections trump qualifications/Value etc. you're living in a backwards society. If people don't want to hire me on my merits they can go **** up a rope
connections ARE merits... if people don't like you enough to even bring you up, what does that say about how willing they are to actually work with you?

ever play that game in school where you have 2 teams and people pick who gets to be on their team? if no one picked you, did it matter how good you were?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
connections ARE merits... if people don't like you enough to even bring you up, what does that say about how willing they are to actually work with you?
You can be hired just as long as you are "connected" whether you are qualified for the job or not. Ive seen it happen a million times. If you're connected, you can also avoid layoffs/firings forever even you should be let go. Nothing merit-based about that

Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM

192 posts, read 148,242 times
Quote:
You can be hired just as long as you are "connected" whether you are qualified for the job or not. Ive seen it happen a million times. If you're connected, you can also avoid layoffs/firings forever even you should be let go. Nothing merit-based about that
At least you aren't bitter. I can only imagine the things you would say on here if you thought the hiring process was unfair or engineered to make sure you, personally, didn't get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment