Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,791,787 times

Advertisements

Fact: Anyone that is making a lot of applications and not getting interviews has one or more of the following problem.

1: They think it would be an interesting job, but when the HM sees your application/resume does not see something that tells the HM that you would be the best for the job. Normal reasons you are not getting interviews. 1: You are using a generic resume, that does not say you would be the best applicant for the job. In other words, you are sending out a generic resume, not one pointing out the reasons you would be a good choice for this particular job.

2: Someone else, does a better job of preparing the application or resume, so they get the interview.

Let me tell you two true stories. A few years ago, I was asked by my church to help people that were having trouble getting jobs, and look at their resumes and help them rewrite them.

Case 1---A man early 30s, had married a woman with 5 children. He needed a job fast. I read his resume. It starts out with his college degree which was in music, and he was applying for a job as a carpenter. The HM never got further than the Music degree. He had been turned down twice by the same company.

We rewrote his resume. We put he had a college degree but did not say in what. We emphasized his experience as a fine finish carpenter, and cabinet maker. Monday was the last day he could apply. He was called out of town on Sunday and would be gone through Wednesday. His wife took his resume in, and they took a look at it, and asked her when he was available for an interview. She told them Thursday Morning. He went in and met the Project Engineer, from the main office, over 10 different big housing projects in 10 area towns. First thing he was told the position was filled, but that was not what they wanted him for. Instead of a carpenter, they wanted him to be head of the fine finishing of all their projects and in charge of selecting and buying the cabinetry. He had a company pickup (new), and an expense account. He was over those areas of all their projects. Salary twice what he applied for. He worked out very well and was given a good salary bump in 3 months, as they wanted to keep him.

Case 2. A man who had been over several hospitals in another large state, needed a job in his new area. He was 50 years old. We rewrote his resume, and he submitted it for a one year job, paid by a federal grant to get things set up for poor and mentally handicapped people. Just before the year was up, they called him in and told him the county head of the health departments was retiring, and they wanted him to take over the position. They knew they could not find someone else with his background, and he had done a far better than expected job over the past year. Salary almost double, and full time county employee benefits.

Those two cases which happened in less than a month, took too highly qualified people who could not get interviews due to their resumes, to both ended up in a fantastic position for them. Jobs they were qualified for, but their resume did not support that fact, until we rewrote them.

Just think, if you are not getting interviews, you are not presenting yourself on the application or resume for that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 PM

669 posts, read 584,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have explained this to you a dozen times already, and you simply refuse to understand. Sometimes I like to take on the lost causes though, so here I go again.

By all accounts, every federal job gets hundreds of applicants for each opening. Look at the thread by Hunterseat, who is already a fed and applying for essentially the same job she already holds. Even she cannot get an interview.

Now, as a hiring manager, I set minimum qualifications, which you apparently meet. So far, so good. That means that your resume gets forwarded to me, along with about 200 others. It is unrealistic for me to interview 200 applicants for one position. That is clearly a waste of time, and even you might agree on that.

How do I deal with this? I look at the 200 resumes fairly quickly, and I make a rough pile of the top 20 resumes. The result of this sorting process is that people who just meet the minimum qualifications are most likely among the 180 or so who will never hear from me. The top 20 get serious consideration, and of those I ask HR to do a phone screen for about 10. This usually drops the list of contenders down to about 5, and I interview those. From that list, I hire 1. That person is usually highly qualified, absolutely blowing away the minimum qualifications.

By those numbers, if you have applied for about 40 positions, and if you EXCEED the minimum qualifications, then you should qualify for an interview about once. Just once.

That isn't a lottery, where everything is up to chance. This is a meritocracy. It is also reality.

As an aside, this leads to the "purple squirrel" thing that people complain about so often. If you do receive hundreds of qualifying resumes for each position, one way to reduce that number is to increase the minimum qualifications. Require additional educations certifications, language proficiency, additional years of specific experience. You may not like it, and I don't really like it either, but it is a rational response to being overwhelmed by applicants.

Excellent insight in what you do. Thank you.

STLGALTOO

Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,000,878 times
Because nowadays you're resume just falls into a black hole, gets scanned by some BS computer program, No human eyes and it never sees the light of day again. While someone else who already has an "in" connection with the company bypasses all the BS filtering crap and gets the job

Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,075,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Because nowadays you're resume just falls into a black hole, gets scanned by some BS computer program, No human eyes and it never sees the light of day again
Yes. You have it exactly correct. Companies are so inept that they have engineered things in such a way that they never, ever hire anybody for any reason. No company has ever extended an offer letter in the last decade, and every hiring manager out there cannot understand why nobody is applying for their open positions. HR and IT collude to eliminate every single applicant, and no VP or executive has yet figured it out.

That might be it, or maybe you are just so angry and bitter that nobody wants to hire you.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:13 PM

192 posts, read 147,670 times
Quote:
Yes. You have it exactly correct. Companies are so inept that they have engineered things in such a way that they never, ever hire anybody for any reason. No company has ever extended an offer letter in the last decade, and every hiring manager out there cannot understand why nobody is applying for their open positions. HR and IT collude to eliminate every single applicant, and no VP or executive has yet figured it out.

That might be it, or maybe you are just so angry and bitter that nobody wants to hire you.
I am guessing it's the latter.

I started applying on the 11th. By the 13th, I had an interview set up for the next Monday. And a phone screen. By the end of the day Monday, I had 2 more initial phone screens set up.

As of Friday, I had a 2nd interview with the company I initially spoke with on Monday. And, I have another interview for Wednesday of this week. 5 different companies.

So, whatever black hole my resume went into...apparently it also spits them out.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,125,336 times
Quote:
Because nowadays you're resume just falls into a black hole, gets scanned by some BS computer program, No human eyes and it never sees the light of day again. While someone else who already has an "in" connection with the company bypasses all the BS filtering crap and gets the job
I'm sorry, I have to respond to this.

I'm part of the hiring process at my company. When you are not getting calls back, then you are doing something wrong with your resume or application. Keep in mind that those of us who have to review resumes for potential candidates get a mountain of resumes. We simply don't have the time to carefully look at every single resume carefully. And this may surprise people, but I have other obligations to tend to other than reviewing people's resumes.

If you're applying for an engineering job, put your engineering degree(s), past projects, skills, and achievements on TOP. Not bottom.

I can't complain about this enough. Every year, I get a slew of resumes from recent college grads and most of them have the most important things at the very bottom while they put their jobs at walmart and menards on top. When I ask them why, they always tell me their college counselors told them to. Why in the world are college counselors telling these young people to put their walmart and menards jobs at the very top and their projects, skills, and achievements at the very bottom when applying for engineering jobs?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Obviously its not iike this 100 percent of the time (Chances are better when a company is doing mass hiring and they need lots of butts to fill seats( , but to sit there and deny the nonsense resume filtering process and those who can get their resume around the BS Formalities is just wrong.

And yes alot of companies ARE inept today. If they weren't, you wouldn't see so much job hopping or turnover today and downsizing at so many places. Obviously people running things are doing something very wrong

Last edited by DorianRo; 04-23-2018 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 09:10 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

I'm part of the hiring process at my company. When you are not getting calls back, then you are doing something wrong with your resume or application. Keep in mind that those of us who have to review resumes for potential candidates get a mountain of resumes. We simply don't have the time to carefully look at every single resume carefully. And this may surprise people, but I have other obligations to tend to other than reviewing people's resumes.

If you're applying for an engineering job, put your engineering degree(s), past projects, skills, and achievements on TOP. Not bottom.

I can't complain about this enough. Every year, I get a slew of resumes from recent college grads and most of them have the most important things at the very bottom while they put their jobs at walmart and menards on top. When I ask them why, they always tell me their college counselors told them to. Why in the world are college counselors telling these young people to put their walmart and menards jobs at the very top and their projects, skills, and achievements at the very bottom when applying for engineering jobs?
Completely agree. I was in a role several years ago where I was part of the "committee" that screened potential candidates. We got all sorts of resumes from new grads. The degree was a requirement, but was not really indicative of what the job was.

We hired people that had been in similar roles first, provided they met all the other requirements. Pretty much anything that is recommended by a college career counselor is garbage in the real world.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

This is another problem. Too many applicants NO jobs. (Which makes those that have an "in" even more important) There isn't enough time to look at every applicant so what happens? Potentially far more qualified applicants are getting looked over and ignored. This makes it even better for the person with the "in" to get his/her resume put to the top of the stack of job applications. When theres too many applicants and not enough Jobs and not enough time for a hiring manager to look at the application, they will just go directly to who was referred by a friend or relative

And Ive had my resume professionally done a few times now. Nothing wrong with my resume. And I have applied to countless jobs that I have at least 7-10 years of experience in and possessing the education. It doesn't matter. I don't have a connection/"In" with someone already at the company. So I am already at a disadvantage. Its tough enough to even get to the interview process without a connection to refer you

Thanks for proving my point. I also make it a point to find out why certain people get hired to certain positions at the few companies Ive worked at and WITHOUT FAIL each of them, had a friend/relative already working at the company who hot-shotted the right to an interview/hire. When they may not even have been qualified for the position

This just the sad reality of the world we live in today. So you can deny it doesn't happen or isn't prevalent but thats just denying reality.

Its an uneven playing field. A RIGGED Game and those that have to follow the rules/formalities are already in a losing position.

And you have reinforced my point to begin with. "You don't have time to look at every single resume". So whats the end of result? The Resume fails into a black of hole never to even see a set of human eyes laid upon it. Just like I said

Thats a HUGE reason why people don't get interviews or responses. No human eyes looks at the resume. BS computer filtering that picks out certain words or phrases do. Unless you can get your resume around it good and directly to whoever is in charge of the hiring, good luck!!! Just getting to the interview process to see another fellow human is difficult enough to where you may persuade them to hire you. But if you can't get even that far, you're just a sheet of paper in sea of them. Not human

Last edited by DorianRo; 04-23-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 10:06 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,670,964 times
Quote:
This is another problem. Too many applicants NO jobs. (Which makes those that have an "in" even more important) There isn't enough time to look at every applicant so what happens? Potentially far more qualified applicants are getting looked over and ignored.
So... you believe that absolutely everyone who applies for any job has some sort of "right" to receive a full, careful review of their resume and a complete, thoughtful introspection into how they might fit even if their resume doesn't immediately speak to the requirements?

There are jobs. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs out there. There absolutely are "too many applicants". People willy-nilly blindly apply for every job they see. Where's the employers "right" to have applicants carefully peruse the job description, do their market research, and only apply to those they're actually a good fit for?

Your endless complaining about reality will never change anything. I've had to sit down with stacks of resumes for one or two jobs, and you had better believe I took every opportunity to toss them as quickly as possible. Multiple typos, bad grammar, spotty job history, descriptions of prior jobs that don't align with what we were looking to hire for, no mention of skills that were hard-and-fast requirements for the position? BOOM, into the recyle bin.

Want your resume to get looked at by a human? Take the trouble to tailor it to the PD. If they say they want at least 5 years in kerflugle horn playing, then have something that specifically says "Over five years experience in kerflugle horn playing". Rewrite the job descriptions of prior jobs to align with what the prospective employer is looking for. Work in the buzzwords that the resume scanner will look for. Or, better yet, take the time and trouble to build out a strong network, so when you're looking, you talk to human beings instead of fill out online forms.

My current job came from them calling me. I had talked to them previously, and we couldn't find a good fit. Instead of grousing about how they screwed me by not immediately hiring me and blaming their people and processes and systems, we left it on very good terms, and I added some of their folks to my network. Result? A year later they called me saying, "We have an opening that's much closer to what you're looking for", and I had a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment