Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,931,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, I was going to say these fast food workers who were striking & demanding $15/hr better watch out! If anyone recalls, there was a news story about 1-2 yrs ago now when Burger King employees were demanding it. They don't even deserve it...almost every time I go through ANY drive-thru in general, there's some kind of error (something missing from the bag, no cheese, no mayo when I told them, etc.)
I can't wait to see the robotic nurse who will take care of these fast food consumers once the list of diseases start piling up. Maybe we'll have universal health care by that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 02:50 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,505,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, I was going to say these fast food workers who were striking & demanding $15/hr better watch out! If anyone recalls, there was a news story about 1-2 yrs ago now when Burger King employees were demanding it. They don't even deserve it...almost every time I go through ANY drive-thru in general, there's some kind of error (something missing from the bag, no cheese, no mayo when I told them, etc.)
Irrelevant. People aren't paid what they deserve. They're paid what they can negotiate. If they strike and manage to get enough sympathy from the community and political factories, AND the law goes through, then it'd be considered a success.
I don't know what areas people live in. I've been in SoCal, NYC, DC, Chicago, and their outer lying areas. Them messing up the orders was quite the exception than the norm. Perhaps paying them more WOULD help with that. They'd be more motivated. You get what you pay for. It's a fact of life that when you pay more for goods and services, the ball's in YOUR court since you can make more demands, and the person you're paying also stands to lose out more, since "the prize is bigger". If you STILL can't find competent people, then that does say a lot about the employee pool, but one also has to wonder why you can't produce any decent employees with such a relatively nicer wage

Old 03-06-2018, 03:28 PM

3,577 posts, read 2,917,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
People could always decide not to patronize a place that doesn't hire humans; but what are the chances of that? Everyone seems to be concerned only when their own job is at stake.

But I also have to wonder... what is it that this robot is doing that cannot be done by a chain driven oven - such as at Burger King (?).
  • Someone has to put the burger on the grill for Flippy - Human. Same as a chain oven.
  • Flippy flips the burgers, but in a chain conveyor oven, no flip is necessary.
  • Flippy takes the burger off the oven, on the chain, the finished burger just falls into a hopper.

From there, both systems require a person (for now) to stack and complete the burger. Doesn't seem to be worth 60K to me.
Thinks of it this way, Flippy is taking at least 1 job off the line per shift and likely working equivalent of at least 3 shifts per day.
1 employee- $15/hr times 2080 hours = $31,200/yr x 1.30 (wages + benefit/insurance costs and that's $40,560.
Now times that by 3 employees that's $121,680.

Flippee paid for itself twice over in just it's first year.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
News story I heard on the radio today said the owner openly admits that this robot was installed in this particular restaurant because the city the restaurant is located in recently passed a $15/hour living wage requirement.
"Admits"? That has a connotation of guilt, and I cannot lay guilt at the feet of anyone who's trying to run their business and take care of their obligations while minimizing the ever-growing costs placed on them.

If your job can be done by a robot or an illiterate Third World peasant, you need to already be taking steps. It isn't anyone else's fault when reality finally catches up to you, and the robot or peasant becomes a better deal. Be the guy who designs, engineers, builds, programs, installs, or services the robots.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,686,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
But if the robots take all our jobs, we will all be on public assistance.
That's been the response to pretty much every technological advancement, ever. It's made by frightened people who don't want to face the future. Meanwhile, those who are ready, willing, and able to ride that wave forward get rich.

Your choice.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 PM

9,388 posts, read 6,500,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
But if the robots take all our jobs, we will all be on public assistance.

The short term solution is to aggressively promote birth control within all socio-economic strata of society. However once AI for the robots is perfected, humans will be obsolete. That's progress!

Old 03-06-2018, 04:25 PM

9,388 posts, read 6,500,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Now if we can only automate CEO and executive positions. We'd save even more money from 8 figure salaries, private jets, bonuses, and golden parachutes They've started with creating medical diagnosis software, and software that scans scores of legal documents that they used to hire tier one legal interns to do, so ya never know
We already have something that make good decisions as successfully as most executives, it is called the Magic 8-Ball.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,214,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Thinks of it this way, Flippy is taking at least 1 job off the line per shift and likely working equivalent of at least 3 shifts per day.
1 employee- $15/hr times 2080 hours = $31,200/yr x 1.30 (wages + benefit/insurance costs and that's $40,560.
Now times that by 3 employees that's $121,680.

Flippee paid for itself twice over in just it's first year.
Sure, I got that. My point was that all they needed to do was replace that worker with a chain conveyor oven for about $1K and they would get the same results and pocket the employee salaries you calculated and the cost of "Flipee.".

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-06-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,877,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
The short term solution is to aggressively promote birth control within all socio-economic strata of society. However once AI for the robots is perfected, humans will be obsolete. That's progress!
Regarding AI I heard something from Stephen Hawking once that put it very succinctly, I can't remember the exact wording, so I have to paraphrase

The assumption is AI is fully aware (think skynet)

The human asks the AI - Is there a God ?

The AI replies - There is now.

Hopefully I will be dust by time skynet takes over.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:55 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,877,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That's been the response to pretty much every technological advancement, ever. It's made by frightened people who don't want to face the future. Meanwhile, those who are ready, willing, and able to ride that wave forward get rich.

Your choice.
In that scenario only a few get rich. Then another tech advancement comes along and a few more get rich, then again, then again, until there's nothing left to advance and/or invent. How long that will take who knows, but probably won't happen in my lifetime.

The issue with tech advancement is what happens during the transition. No one has a plan for all the people who are going to lose jobs. Eventually they will all die off and sort itself out, but that transition time is going to be hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment