Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,848,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Ah, yes. Another self-proclaimed ‘engineering/math savant’ on the inter-webs ROTFL

Everything you see in black/white without a shred of inbetween. Perhaps one of your managers or colleagues with a lowly liberal arts background can explain this thread to you in sufficient detail so you get a clue.
Ummm, read my post again but this time slowly so you can focus and comprehend what you are reading.

I don't have any managers, haven't in a long time. I have owned my own businesses for years. Also, if you pay attention when you read my post again, you will notice I graduated with honors, which means not only did I do extremely well in my engineering and math courses but I also aced the mostly useless liberal arts classes that are required. You can't even express your thoughts in an intelligent manner.

Anyway, whatever, I have plenty of more important things to do than bicker with some 13 year old jackass online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 01:07 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,639,515 times
They sit around and wonder what animal you would be and why you chose that animal.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM

455 posts, read 389,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do folks obsess over HR? You do your job. They do theirs. What's the big deal?
LOL, most of the folks who keep bashing HR and literally say the same statements over and over again are union involved and are looking to share "fake" and "unsubstantiated" propaganda to further their cause.

HR is like any other broad profession and to think HR identifies only one job is ignorant at best and not a credible source of information. I am personally in HR and my entire job is to investigate claims of wrong doing and guess what, I take down bad managers regardless of their level within the organization, so to say I work for management is incredibly offensive, frankly it's a disgusting claim and anyone making comments like that should be ashamed. I wouldn't go around bashing "engineers", "technology" or "restaurateurs" as a general profession. And no, if you asked me about payroll, benefits, hiring or something not related to my actual job, I would refer you on because I don't have anything to do with those departments. That's like asking a podiatrist about a colonoscopy.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,759,543 times
Based on the HR person at my job not much of nothing on a day to day basis.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,214,120 times
The HR function at my employer seems to be outsourced for the most part.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
They sit around and wonder what animal you would be and why you chose that animal.
I'm guessing spitting cobra is the wrong answer.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
LOL, most of the folks who keep bashing HR and literally say the same statements over and over again are union involved and are looking to share "fake" and "unsubstantiated" propaganda to further their cause.
Nope, I'm actually in management, never been in a union. And I find our HR to be unhelpful at best, and dangerous at worst.

As long as HR sticks to transactional work -- processing paperwork, then they are ok. Where the trouble starts is when they convince executive leadership that they should be a decision making partner for strategic planning. Then they start inserting all sorts of policies into the operational process. One example is HR determines how many staff and what skill mix we need. Not the manager or supervisor, but HR.

Also a couple years ago HR convinced our executives that our job descriptions needed to be rewritten. All of them. HR rewrote every job description to what they thought it should be. Do you know what happens when an HR person writes the job description for a scientist or engineer position? It isn't pretty. It's like they went through some college catalogs and picked phrases at random from them. Everything from concrete work to jet engine design in the same job description. For a position where we really need a physicist.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,796,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do folks obsess over HR? You do your job. They do theirs. What's the big deal?
Because once you are caught in their web you are doomed.

You don't have to do anything wrong. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is sufficient. An unsubstantiated accusation is also good enough.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:49 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,796,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post

HR is like any other broad profession and to think HR identifies only one job is ignorant at best and not a credible source of information. I am personally in HR and my entire job is to investigate claims of wrong doing and guess what, I take down bad managers regardless of their level within the organization, so to say I work for management is incredibly offensive, frankly it's a disgusting claim and anyone making comments like that should be ashamed. I wouldn't go around bashing "engineers", "technology" or "restaurateurs" as a general profession. And no, if you asked me about payroll, benefits, hiring or something not related to my actual job, I would refer you on because I don't have anything to do with those departments. That's like asking a podiatrist about a colonoscopy.
Could you provide some examples of taking down a bad manager?

Conversely if a low level employee complains about a manager and the complaint is unfounded what happens to the employee?

Old 03-27-2018, 04:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,210,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
I remember when it was called "Personnel."

Yes. That was "Employment Office" (same amount of staff) for white collar jobs (known in those days as "pencil pushers.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment