Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

Of the last 10 years, I rarely speak to HR for more than 20 mins of general introduction about a company. They usually cannot answer any question about the job requirement and leave it to the hiring manager. Often when I leave a company, I rarely ever see HR folks. I just get an email reminding me to return my company wares. I have not had an HR exit interview since 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Of the last 10 years, I rarely speak to HR for more than 20 mins of general introduction about a company. They usually cannot answer any question about the job requirement and leave it to the hiring manager. Often when I leave a company, I rarely ever see HR folks. I just get an email reminding me to return my company wares. I have not had an HR exit interview since 2008.
well. they are not there for you, the worker, but for them Management. They are not there to save your but,, and will use interrogation skills to make you say what they want. They are skilled manipulators, all in fun and games for the company. Boost employees up, just to pop the bubble when it is time. CYA and do your job, do not believe the friendly, smiley face disguise. You are not missing much.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 AM

12 posts, read 12,286 times
HR represents the company and not thee employee. Do not even talk to HR and if you have say aa little as possiple.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
In our case it’s both. Certain HR teams recruit, others help management deal with personnel problems, others advocate for the employees. Still others handle safety, some benefits, and some do the job evaluations that often result in new titles and higher pay for those doing work above their current level. The newest group handles interns, we do over 100 (paid) now every year, high school, college, and graduate.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
As their title suggests, you're just a resource, nothing more nothing less - to be used and then tossed when the company has no more use for you. Only unions (should you have one) will fight your corner.

Harsh but true

Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Why do folks obsess over HR? You do your job. They do theirs. What's the big deal?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Regulatory compliance, payroll, record keeping, hiring and discipline paperwork, benefits administration, etc. Where I work, HR does not interview candidates or decide who to hire (unless it is an HR job), so they will refer you to the hiring manager or the department that is actually hiring. There are simply too many job classifications to expect HR to know and speak intelligently about them.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do folks obsess over HR? You do your job. They do theirs. What's the big deal?
Many job seekers and employees have had numerous unpleasant experiences dealing with HR. Even at my current job they are the number one negative factor.

They are constantly implementing trendy junk science personnel management programs that stress, annoy, and take away from more productive activities. They implimented a new program and policy last year that caused our best workplaces standings (which we worked very hard to improve) to decline precipitously.

Don't even get me started on the stuff I had to put up with when going through the hiring process at companies. I had those bimbos assigning me essays like this was third grade, conduct interviews that made me feel like I should be on a couch talking about my childhood, embarrassing psychometric tests...

All in all I make it my goal to have as little to do with HR as possible and have come to regard HR as the profession I have the least respect for.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Many job seekers and employees have had numerous unpleasant experiences dealing with HR. Even at my current job they are the number one negative factor.

They are constantly implementing trendy junk science personnel management programs that stress, annoy, and take away from more productive activities. They implimented a new program and policy last year that caused our best workplaces standings (which we worked very hard to improve) to decline precipitously.

Don't even get me started on the stuff I had to put up with when going through the hiring process at companies. I had those bimbos assigning me essays like this was third grade, conduct interviews that made me feel like I should be on a couch talking about my childhood, embarrassing psychometric tests...

All in all I make it my goal to have as little to do with HR as possible and have come to regard HR as the profession I have the least respect for.
Man, it's two years later and I've been reached out to by several recruiters. Not once has my first conversation been with them. In fact, my first discussions with the previous couple of companies that have reached out have always been with senior leadership. HR only gets involved when it comes to scheduling time for further discussions, discussing compensation, etc.

Maybe, there is something specific about your industry that is extremely different than mine. I've never had an experience where I am blocked by HR or they have even a remotely impactful decision on how I progress.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
While many/most employees have a low regard for HR, they perform necessary management functions ... just a few of which include:

1. Review 100 (?) applicants to eliminate 95, so the hiring manager can interview only 5
2. Verify/evaluate references, education, credentials, social web presence of potential employees
2. Deal with problem employees and supervisors and the complaints of both.
3. Handle terminations to avoids discrimination (or other) lawsuits
4. Administration: Maintain personnel files for current/past employees (track company property, properly explain and document benefits, handle education and award programs, etc.)
5. Coordinate raises, benefits, employee agreements across the company
6. Ensure consistency in management programs and information dissemination
7. Conduct exit interviews; close-out employee files; handle new employer follow-ups, etc.

Employees are a company's largest and most critical investment. Someone must handle these and other employee-related functions, so other employees and managers can get-on with the actual work of the company.

Last edited by jghorton; 03-13-2018 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment