Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 AM

3,164 posts, read 2,760,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do folks obsess over HR? You do your job. They do theirs. What's the big deal?
If it were only that simple.

Backstabbing co-workers, incompetent bosses, overbearing clients, it's a war out there and HR's job is to assign blame and clean up ugly messes. Often times just doing your job isn't enough to keep you out of the machinery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 11:20 AM

6,607 posts, read 11,365,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Of the last 10 years, I rarely speak to HR for more than 20 mins of general introduction about a company. They usually cannot answer any question about the job requirement and leave it to the hiring manager. Often when I leave a company, I rarely ever see HR folks. I just get an email reminding me to return my company wares. I have not had an HR exit interview since 2008.
During those 10 years....

Did you get your paycheck?
Did you get your W2's at the end of the year?
Did you have health benefits?
Did you have a 401K or other retirement funds?
Did you receive any internal training?
Were you made aware of the policies of the company?

Just a few things they do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If it were only that simple.

Backstabbing co-workers, incompetent bosses, overbearing clients, it's a war out there and HR's job is to assign blame and clean up ugly messes. Often times just doing your job isn't enough to keep you out of the machinery.
I think the issue here is that people expect HR to intercede with these affairs. Then get all salty when it doesn't go their way. In essence, people treat HR as the "complaint" department for the organization. Which isn't really their job.

I find it funny when people say "they are NOT your friend!". No kidding. Neither is Finance, Operations, Facilities, IT, Marketing, etc.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:21 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,298,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Many job seekers and employees have had numerous unpleasant experiences dealing with HR. Even at my current job they are the number one negative factor.

They are constantly implementing trendy junk science personnel management programs that stress, annoy, and take away from more productive activities. They implimented a new program and policy last year that caused our best workplaces standings (which we worked very hard to improve) to decline precipitously.

Don't even get me started on the stuff I had to put up with when going through the hiring process at companies. I had those bimbos assigning me essays like this was third grade, conduct interviews that made me feel like I should be on a couch talking about my childhood, embarrassing psychometric tests...

All in all I make it my goal to have as little to do with HR as possible and have come to regard HR as the profession I have the least respect for.
Just admit you are a tool and be done with it.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:54 PM

1,104 posts, read 924,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Don't even get me started on the stuff I had to put up with when going through the hiring process at companies. I had those bimbos assigning me essays like this was third grade, conduct interviews that made me feel like I should be on a couch talking about my childhood, embarrassing psychometric tests...
???.. did you try to get hired and end up at a therapist without realizing?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM

334 posts, read 222,887 times
99.9% of the time an HR person is the first contact I have with a company. They are the ones who contact me to do an initial phone screening. Rarely am I asked to come in for a face to face as the first interview. Then, HR is the one who types up their notes and recommends to the hiring manager who they should interview in person. I would find that to be a crummy situation to be in. And why is an HR person deciding this when they don't really know what the job is all about? I think the hiring manager should do the initial phone screening and if they like what they hear, invite you in to meet with them.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:05 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,463,487 times
I have high regard and respect for those in HR. It is an administrative function. We are non union and HR keeps up with competitive pay in the area. A year ago our department was evaluated for pay. We were having problems hiring anyone. No one wanted to come on board because the pay was low. We had a few guys leave to work at other area hospitals for more pay. After reevaluating the market rate for the area we received additional pay. No unions needed for that.

HR where I work oversees the large amount of employee law and regulations that California likes to place on business.

HR oversees employee training programs, both mandated and for our career growth.

Recently I worked with HR on a new position we were opening up. They assisted with the legal lingo.

Some are mentioning that they are only tools for the company. A resource. Something for the employer to use at will. (Between the hours of 9 to 5)

So what. That is what a job is. You sell time to the employer and in exchange the employer gives you money and work to do for them. You have no other benefit to being there other than employer offered benefits, and you should be lucky to have those benefits. You have no say so in the company, no ownership, nothing. All you were offered was a job. Over time you can move up the line from staff to supervisor to manager to director and maybe if you are lucky the C Suite. Still even at any of those levels all you have is a job. You can still get fired from that job.

Unless you plan on implementing a better way to make money then you are stuck. You can start your own business if you plan to get out of the job side of things. Realize that ownership means your work will never be done. Weekends and holidays are days you don't make money, unless you are working. That is unless you hire employees to work for you.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,640,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While many/most employees have a low regard for HR, they perform necessary management functions ... just a few of which include:

1. Review 100 (?) applicants to eliminate 95, so the hiring manager can interview only 5
2. Verify/evaluate references, education, credentials, social web presence of potential employees
2. Deal with problem employees and supervisors and the complaints of both.
3. Handle terminations to avoids discrimination (or other) lawsuits
4. Administration: Maintain personnel files for current/past employees (track company property, properly explain and document benefits, handle education and award programs, etc.)
5. Coordinate raises, benefits, employee agreements across the company
6. Ensure consistency in management programs and information dissemination
7. Conduct exit interviews; close-out employee files; handle new employer follow-ups, etc.

Employees are a company's largest and most critical investment. Someone must handle these and other employee-related functions, so other employees and managers can get-on with the actual work of the company.
It's a pleasure to read a post that actually explains HR functions to the great unwashed.

It seems a lot of people confuse HR with their labor union.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 03-13-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 01:27 PM

HR really is a thankless position. I've worked with people who got out of HR because they said, "It's not glamorous like employees seem to think it is and it's not a cushy job either." Most people who get it dumped on them absolutely hate it. I worked in a very small office before and the woman who had to handle the HR functions wanted to have it outsourced because she absolutely despised it.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,230,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Of the last 10 years, I rarely speak to HR for more than 20 mins of general introduction about a company. They usually cannot answer any question about the job requirement and leave it to the hiring manager. Often when I leave a company, I rarely ever see HR folks. I just get an email reminding me to return my company wares. I have not had an HR exit interview since 2008.

A very good question, and I'm glad somebody asked.

HR is a consequence of intrusive politicians, lawyers and now, the massively expanded business field. Nothing more. 45 years ago it was called "employment office," and housed 2 (3 at the biggest plant) people. You saw them once, when you filled out an application. I remember the employment office at the Dulcolax (?) paint plant was a walk up window, less fancy than the drive up at McDonalds. You stood out there in the rain.

Just remember, every single product you buy these days, built into its price, are those extra 10 - 15 people employed by that "HR" department. YOU pay them, like it or not - because of that "business model" and pricing, they cost the company next to nothing, and for purely legal reasons, makes their insurance bill cheaper.

The employment office at Kulman Electric Co. near my house had Mrs Blake working there alone. Just prior, she was the crossing guard who blew a whistle to help us kiddies cross the busy street. She told my mom she wanted something more full time.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-13-2018 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
HR is a consequence of lawyers and the massively expanded business field. Nothing more. 45 years ago it was called "employment office," and housed 2 (3 at the biggest plant) people.
I remember when it was called "Personnel."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment