Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 11:05 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's not my fault they aren't paid what they deserve. I chose a higher paying profession. They could have done the same.
Out of curiousity, what is your profession and how much do you make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:06 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
It doesn't seem to matter here in CO. My fiance is even a lead in her department, and that did nothing to her salary. Once you're locked in at a school, there are no pay increases outside of COLA. Also, she is constrained by pay bands if she decides to leave to another district. Once you're in a pay band, it's the same across the region.
Ok but is anyone putting a gun to her head forcing her to live in CO?

I get that moving isn't always so easy and much easier said than done but your fiancé has a few options:
-stay in the field and deal with the money she is getting
-stay in the field and do things like PD, another degree, adjunct, tutoring etc etc
-move
-get out of teaching

If she refuses to do any of the above, no sympathy from me then.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
It doesn't seem to matter here in CO. My fiance is even a lead in her department, and that did nothing to her salary. Once you're locked in at a school, there are no pay increases outside of COLA. Also, she is constrained by pay bands if she decides to leave to another district. Once you're in a pay band, it's the same across the region.
And why don’t you take a stab at why that is?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:08 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Quote:
Ok but is anyone putting a gun to her head forcing her to live in CO?

I get that moving isn't always so easy and much easier said than done but your fiancé has a few options:
-stay in the field and deal with the money she is getting
-stay in the field and do things like PD, another degree, adjunct, tutoring etc etc
-move
-get out of teaching

If she refuses to do any of the above, no sympathy from me then.
I already told you earlier that she is planning on getting out of teaching. Meanwhile, Colorado is one of those states in the country that has a massive shortage.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I already told you earlier that she is planning on getting out of teaching. Meanwhile, Colorado is one of those states in the country that has a massive shortage.
Ok, great, so what's the problem then?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And why don’t you take a stab at why that is?
You are arguing a completely different point than I am. Get on the same page, and we can talk.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ok, great, so what's the problem then?
Your irreverence and ignorance towards the profession and the issues undermining quality education in this country. The fact that you are here belittling an entire profession while you waste your company's time and money on CDF.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
Quote:
Ok, so then stop complaining. Teachers often whine whine whine but then don't do anything to better the situation they are whining about.

Also if some teacher isn't being paid what they deserve maybe the reason is b/c that person isn't that good of a teacher.
Don't you think it is sad that you speak of teachers as needing to "better the situation" regarding their pay? Isn't that what we say about people who complain about working dead-end retail or fast food jobs for low pay? It seems to me that someone who has earned a college degree, taken exams to obtain certification, and chosen a career in an honorable profession has done an awful lot to "better the situation," relative to the uneducated and unskilled workforce. When I was teaching, most of my peers had or were working towards master's degrees and/or administrative credentials for the salary bump. What else, short of leaving the profession, do you propose that they do?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Don't you think it is sad that you speak of teachers as needing to "better the situation" regarding their pay? Isn't that what we say about people who complain about working dead-end retail or fast food jobs for low pay? It seems to me that someone who has earned a college degree, taken exams to obtain certification, and chosen a career in an honorable profession has done an awful lot to "better the situation." When I was teaching, most of my peers had or were working towards master's degrees and/or administrative credentials for the salary bump. What else, short of leaving the profession, do you propose that they do?
Tutoring, adjunct professor if you can... there are ways to make money on the side in addition to your full-time job.

I agree that is bettering the situation but if you can't get the money you want even with all that, something isn't right.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Your irreverence and ignorance towards the profession and the issues undermining quality education in this country. The fact that you are here belittling an entire profession while you waste your company's time and money on CDF.
How do you know City Data isn't relevant to the work I do?

I just made an example that journalists and researchers use sites like these to perform studies and get content for their pieces.

So no I am not wasting my company's time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment