Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times

Advertisements

Here's a suggestion (If you can afford to) relocate to a small town 3K-15K I was in one small town, called their service and after all was said and done they charged $.35 cents a mile plus $5 pickup charge. 55 miles was $19 I gave her $25 and used them often.

Provide a needed service and be clean and friendly, you'll do very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 12:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I learned to use Uber when I fly into SFO to visit my daughter.

With the "old school" taxi line, you get the next guy in line who is usually a recent immigrant who can barely speak english, who is driving a 5 year old rattletrap SUV and drives like a maniac. I don't feel safe. I question his driving skills and I had to navigate for him. The trip costs about $30 including tip.

With Uber, I generally get an educated driver with a 1-2 year old Toyota Camry or Prius. He has Google Maps up on the display, knows how to navigate, drives well, and speaks good English. The cost including tip is about $18.

Which would You choose?
How do you know the driver's education level?

Old 03-31-2018, 12:26 PM

574 posts, read 383,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I drove a taxi many years ago. It was more professional (though not as much as the London taxicab system). It has gone downhill over the years and Über may be the final nail in the coffin. No I haven't used a cab in a while, just über.

This ^^^^.... NTM, The London cabbies are rigorously trained in routing and procedure. back when one of my English relatives drove a London cab, he said that it was one of the hardest things that he's done (and he was VERY BRIGHT too.) they dont allow everyone to drive a cab there, and it's much easier to just become an Uber driver. for better or for worse, Uber is the thing now

Old 03-31-2018, 01:34 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,548,159 times
I compared prices between cabs and Uber/Lyft for short distances in my neighborhood. Cab prices were cheaper. I've used them a couple of times in the past few years for trips to the emergency room. In one case it was an older American sedan and in the other, a brand-new Prius.

/anecdata

Old 03-31-2018, 01:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Maybe your area is underserved by uber and you should stick to cabs. I can guarantee that millions of people are not fleeing taxis and going to uber/lyft because they are paying more money for lesser service.

Calling Uber a "success"—the company is valued at $40 billion—seems like something of an understatement. Uber is trouncing the competition. There were 2 million fewer taxi rides in Washington, D.C., last year compared with the year before, Waters told me—that’s a 9 percent drop in taxi business in a single year. And taxi business declined a stunning 65 percent in a two-year period after Uber showed up in San Francisco.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...n-uber/386207/

Old 03-31-2018, 05:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,235,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Here's a suggestion (If you can afford to) relocate to a small town 3K-15K I was in one small town, called their service and after all was said and done they charged $.35 cents a mile plus $5 pickup charge. 55 miles was $19 I gave her $25 and used them often.

Provide a needed service and be clean and friendly, you'll do very well.
Jesus. There is no way they can make money charging 35 cents a mile.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:15 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
security ?

taxi's are usually old police crown vics so that the driver is partitioned (bullet-proof glass) from the back seat.

i once took a car (before uber was a thing) from the bus station to about 10 blocks home. the driver told me $25 bucks (taxi wouldve been about $8). it was past midnite; i was in no position to argue or he wouldve dropped me off the docks -- literally (no dispatch log).

never again..
WTF does your little story have to do with Uber? You do realize that Uber is a completely cashless system, right? Not only that, but your entire trip, including every little turn, from the time you enter the car until the time you exit, is tracked by Uber. You also have the driver's full name, his photo, the make and model of the car, and the license tag as well.

You appear to be completely clueless with how Uber operates.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
The last time I took a cab was in LA. I don't know where the driver was from, but he started to get on HWY 101 going the WRONG WAY and only stopped when I screamed at him!!

Old 03-31-2018, 09:38 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Yes, and those that don't have a smart phone.
I do. I've traveled quite a bit past year or so for business, more than in recent years. I usually like it. I've stuffed everything onto an AmX Platinum of-late for the points, prior to that a Barclaycard, to prodigious mileage/points advantage by end of year. Not a brag; both simply have good rewards if you charge as much as humanly possible, business and personal as I've found, well justifying the yearly fees. Others, not so much: I get that.

SO: while I'm in management consulting, spending some coin, Uber is fine. More than fine, I'd say super-duper convenient in the cities I've traveled to and used Uber tons (five rides or more, typically). About four clicks on the Pixel XL, it's coming. Those cities being: Seattle, Nashville, Chicago, Oklahoma City, Tempe and Phoenix so far. Soon to include Little Rock.

I'm sure Taxis have their place, but I'm frustrated at the cost where they have a monopoly. Found that at OKC airport, and thirty dollar cab ride to downtown. Wasn't my money, but still seemed like a lot. Going back, Uber was about 3/4 that much as I recall.

After I retire and need to pay for all the gadgets and high living on my own dime, all that will need a radical re-think, frankly. I believe much of it will be cheaper in ten years.

One might guess that Taxis will eventually become minor players, much like the horse and buggy. Why wouldn't they.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:24 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
The largest taxi service in Phoenix just closed. They are rebranding and going to an on call app system like Uber/ Lyft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment