Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 AM

723 posts, read 575,354 times

Advertisements

My 22-yo son is graduating from Vanderbilt next month with a BS in chemical engineering. He has already landed a job in Boulder, CO that will pay $65K to start plus a $5000 relocation bonus.

I, OTOH, have an MA and decades of experience in upper-level administrative support (no supervisory experience) and am making $22/hour. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 05:20 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,410,397 times
The time to enquire about salaries for different careers is at about the 4th grade.

For example, if you want to do engineering you really need to focus on math, science and physics starting in elementary school.

I'm amazed by people who pick a low paying career path and then constantly ***** about the low pay.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,403,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I'm amazed by people who pick a low paying career path and then constantly ***** about the low pay.
Life isn't fair, never has been and never will be, and the quicker people come to realize that, the better off they will be!

You have 6-year-olds making $11 million in a single year, from opening up toys on YouTube to people with PhD's making barely nothing working at Starbucks with tons of college loan debt. That's just the way life is.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:40 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,975,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
My 22-yo son is graduating from Vanderbilt next month with a BS in chemical engineering. He has already landed a job in Boulder, CO that will pay $65K to start plus a $5000 relocation bonus.

I, OTOH, have an MA and decades of experience in upper-level administrative support (no supervisory experience) and am making $22/hour. :-(
My first career was in software engineering - I had an MS in computer science, and did very well. After nearly 30 years in the field, I decided to switch careers and got an MA in clinical psychology. Starting salaries in 2002 were in the high 20s or at best, low 30s - and the CEO for the agency and the therapists with doctorates made in the 60s. I ended up going back to the software field until retirement because I found I couldn't cut it financially at those salaries. Now I'm semi-retired and looking at setting up a limited private practice in a new state when I move (to supplement social security).

Once you're fully licensed (which I now am) you can go into private practice - but there are continuing education costs, liability insurance, memberships, license maintenance fees, etc. all of which you have to cover yourself. Mental health professionals who do well are entrepreneurs and set up multiple streams of income - they don't teach you the business side of the field in grad school (but there are continuing education classes you can do that will provide this - yet another expense).

The original question is therefore difficult to answer because it totally depends on the field the kid's going into, and what area he/she moves to. Regarding the OP's statement that "some demand 60k" -- well, companies have HR departments and there are parameters controlling what someone in a certain position can be offered. At least all the companies I've worked for do. A snowflake right out of school can "demand" 60k because they think they're "worth it" until the cows come home, but that doesn't mean they're going to get it.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:40 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,935,221 times
$55k - $65k is pretty accurate right out of college for my field, we are formally supposed to work 37.5 hours/week, practically end up working around 45 hours/week.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:57 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,032,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Hell no. $60k is wayyy too much for an entry level "kid" right out of college.
Depends on the industry and position. I had friends who likely started there or higher but I know they had to work their butts off and they were committing to a job that would take up most of their free time. I do think it's very industry and degree dependent. My first non-contract job out of college was at 46k (this was about 6.5yrs ago). I did work for a large company before that and did contract work to beef up my resume a bit. I'm sure most out of college make less than that and some make wayyy more... again, industry/degree dependent... and it also depends on how much job experience you were able to gain in college. I did an internship for a large well known company for a summer which helped.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,451,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Well the OP made the question very very vague with no regard for what field the worker is in but chemical and software engineers start off at $60k +-. Teachers start off at a little more then half that.
depends where they teach.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:43 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,787,648 times
My niece graduated from law school last year and was hired at $180,000 by a top law firm in the Bay Area. Of course, just living there will eat most of that up.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,451,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
My niece graduated from law school last year and was hired at $180,000 by a top law firm in the Bay Area. Of course, just living there will eat most of that up.
Yeah but that's with a masters/JD.

I think the OP is talking about people with just bachelors.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,151,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yeah but that's with a masters/JD.

I think the OP is talking about people with just bachelors.

Two people I know that got hired by Deloitte Consulting and McKinsey were earning >$100k right out of undergrad. It's uncommon, but it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment