Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 04:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times

Advertisements

Most arguing against taking legal action in this case seem to be "older". There were many racist, sexist, and ageist things that people could do and get away with back in the 50's. Times have changed, for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 04:50 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Who said anything about a pass? I just don't think the law has to get involved. A slap in the face, a drink poured on him, heck maybe even a swift kick in the nards. All will make him think twice about doing it again. Plus he was kicked out of the restaurant, which probably wouldn't have happened 20 years ago.

But then again I think there are a lot of minor offenses that would be better handled with a good smack upside the head rather than getting the government involved.
There are people who don't want to hit or kick other people. She shouldn't be obliged to answer a violation with violence herself when a civil society offers other alternatives.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, yes, it was considered classless, but it wasn't condemned and people weren't shocked and outraged by it the way they are now. The thought of it being considered assault would have been laughed to the moon and back.
Again, times have changed, for the better.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
There are people who don't want to hit or kick other people. She shouldn't be obliged to answer a violation with violence herself when a civil society offers other alternatives.
Who said she is obliged to? It's a more appropriate response than using the violence of the state is though.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:06 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Most arguing against taking legal action in this case seem to be "older". There were many racist, sexist, and ageist things that people could do and get away with back in the 50's. Times have changed, for the better.
Us 'older' people aren't arguing that what the guy did was ok, but there does need to be some understanding that change can be difficult for some people to adapt to and that something that used to be tolerated is now a criminal offense might be incomprehensible to them. If thirty years from now something that is tacky but not criminal has becomes taboo (I dunno, maybe whistling at someone you think is sexy, or using the word 'gay', becomes a criminal offense) do you feel like you should go to jail for it?

Old 05-28-2018, 05:14 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
For all you people saying no it's never been acceptable, I take it you never went to a bar, or a low end breakfast place after a night out, back in the seventies or eighties? Let me assure you that it was hardly unheard of. As a high school/college kid at some of my first jobs, this was SOP for a lot of these places.

Its always been acceptable by people who think they are entitled to grab ******* and slap asses. It still is, but only by those people. Its never been acceptable by people who think everyone should have the right to choose who they are and arent touched by.

I wonder how "acceptable" it would be if, for example, a gay man or some woman who he found extremely unattractive slapped that 65 year old on the ass, in a public restaurant?

Old 05-28-2018, 05:20 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Despite being older, I fully agree with you. I adore the embarrassment, cost, etc this will reap upon the offender. I would bet he will never do it again, and w/o being arrested, he would have done it again and again.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
If thirty years from now something that is tacky but not criminal has becomes taboo (I dunno, maybe whistling at someone you think is sexy, or using the word 'gay', becomes a criminal offense) do you feel like you should go to jail for it?

YES.

Adapt or like the dinosaur, perish.

We are living in 2018, with or w/o each individual's consent.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:30 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Since the guy doesn't seem to have a history of this sort of behavior and considering he is 65, maybe he is starting to manifest some type of early-onset dementia. Inappropriate behavior is one of the symptoms. Or he could just be a big jerk who has gotten away with this crap til now.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Since the guy doesn't seem to have a history of this sort of behavior and considering he is 65, maybe he is starting to manifest some type of early-onset dementia. Inappropriate behavior is one of the symptoms. Or he could just be a big jerk who has gotten away with this crap til now.

That will come out in court, as it should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment