Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,024,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
Employers are quick to shout "at will" and they don't owe employees anything. Guess that works both ways.
Indeed. Cry me a river. Give us notice and we'll do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:29 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,925,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
It's a valid complaint & so is the opposite. I'm interviewing now. I've had 3-6 interviews for each job I've interviewed for & have been ghosted the vast majority of times, even when I've followed up with a "status update" email. < Insert crickets chirping > Only 1-2 sent a cold email, devoid of any warmth expressed during interviews, saying they're going another way.

In fact, I was supposed to drive out of state last wk for a face-to-face interview, after a scheduled phone interview. It was scheduled days in advance. She stood me up for the phone interview (have had that happen at least 5 other times, 3 times recently) & I'm stunned they didn't show the basic professionalism or courtesy by sending an email to say they're cancelling.

It's really disheartening to do 6 interviews, then < Insert crickets chirping >
That would certainly stink. I'm curious: was the "cold email, devoid of any warmth.." sent by HR or by the hiring manager? In the large companies for which I've worked, only HR is allowed to communicate directly with candidates. I believe the company is trying to minimize the potential for adverse litigation.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 AM

628 posts, read 906,523 times
Ha ha. Employers needs to realize that this is a two way street. This has been going on for a while. It's just more prevalent. Many moons ago while working in finance at a large foreign bank,my coworker went for lunch and never returned. Years later I ran into him at a banking conference. lol

Old 06-27-2018, 10:57 AM

715 posts, read 1,077,427 times
I can understand HR wanting to be careful when you’ve gone through interviews with the actual hiring company, you’ve spoken to HR, the hiring manager, and so forth. Less is more for them, so the generic email is most likely, although I have received phone calls once or twice.

It’s the third party recruiters at staffing companies that get me. You call me and stalk me about a great opportunity, get me to come in for an interview on the coldest day of the year, paying for parking, and putting other things on hold. We talk, you’re impressed. You tell me numbers, ask when I’m ready to start, pass me the benefits package and tell me an interview will be set up by Wednesday. Give me all other details, tell me to look for their call before end of business that day, and then......................

If it wasn’t for call logs and email records, I’d think the whole thing happened in a dream, a hallucination, or an alternate reality.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,401,204 times
I have turned down job offers verbally only to have the employer assume that I'm going to show up at the where & when on my "start date." HA! No. I said "no" and I meant it.

I've also dealt with the agony of waiting for feedback after an interview only to never hear from them again, not even having the decency to tell me that they're going to keep looking.

I don't care if people are ghosting employers. Good. They deserve it after the way they've treated candidates over the years. They're finally getting a taste of their own medicine and aren't liking it. Maybe they'll start treating candidates with a little more respect.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:11 PM

297 posts, read 167,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I was "ghosted" last year. I got called for an afternoon interview with about 5 days lead time. I took a day off from my current job, prepared for the interview with research and tweeking my resume again. I show up and I'm told, " Oh sorry, we hired someone yesterday." I had no problem that they hired someone else, but couldn't they have called me in advance, even if it was that same morning of the interview? I really wanted to tell them off, but of course, I didn't want to burn any bridges.
That bridge is already burned. A company that doesn't take the time to let you know they hired someone before you even go for the interview... I wonder how they fire people. If I was you, I would not want to work there, ever.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:18 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,778,126 times
Two wrongs don't make a right but employers had this coming.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:58 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,078,432 times
I hope this is really a true workplace phenom---

Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,919,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Is a 2 way street. Glassdoor employer reviews are employees way to snitch on employers who treat folks badly.
Based on the reviews for former companies I've worked for, the reviews are pretty accurate.

Sure, you are going to get a few employees who are going to be disgruntled and will leave a rough review but it's when you start seeing patterns of the same issues with the same companies.

I've reviewed my former companies; most of them got ok to good reviews. I've only had one or two that were really awful places to work and I had no problem spelling it out as to why on Glassdoor.

Glassdoor also has interview reviews and it's interesting to read them. I see that more and more people are filling these out and making comments about rude interviewers and recruiters who don't get back to them.

I also complete the interview reviews on Glassdoor and I have no problem at all calling out a rude company/interviewer. I worked in HR; it's not difficult to send a quick "thank you for applying but no thank you" email. That's kind of what you get PAID to do in HR

Old 06-27-2018, 02:16 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,045,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That would certainly stink. I'm curious: was the "cold email, devoid of any warmth.." sent by HR or by the hiring manager? In the large companies for which I've worked, only HR is allowed to communicate directly with candidates. I believe the company is trying to minimize the potential for adverse litigation.
Recently, one of each.

I have also been stood up by HR a couple of times for phone interviews... then, followed up w/a quick email to ask if we'd be rescheduling & never received a reply.

I'm not in HR, but hire people several times/yr. I just don't treat others dismissively & have quick conversations if candidates call/email for status updates. Once someone is hired, I send a quick thank you email to those I've interviewed, although admittedly, the #s are low... I'm interviewing 3-4, not 34. It's nice to have allies & we may want to hire them in the future, so I like to part with others feeling their time wasn't wasted & they've perhaps made a contact.

Sure, no one wants a lawsuit, so choosing words carefully is essential, although I've never had trouble being as professional & friendly as during the interview. Besides, they may be interviewing me some day. Never had that happen, but decades ago I interviewed a previously rude hiring mngr, who I treated kindly & professionally. She almost had a nervous breakdown in front of me, which gave me no pleasure, even though one might chalk it up to karma. Business is business, but manners don't need to be left out of the entire process.

From my experience of interviewing in recent months, I've lowered my expectations significantly, but have to admit, it's still a bit disheartening to be ghosted when I've invested in 3-6 interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment