Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 08:35 PM

219 posts, read 158,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Is a 2 way street. Glassdoor employer reviews are employees way to snitch on employers who treat folks badly.
I work in a specialized field in a mid-sized metro area. No need for Glassdoor employer reviews when certain companies post jobs like they've installed a revolving door. That's always a dead giveaway that it's an employer/management issue rather than an employee issue when it comes to that sort of workplace. Also, word gets around quickly about who's good to work for and who to avoid unless you absolutely have to have a job pronto and don't have the luxury of being selective.

Last edited by Twenty Years in the Burgh; 06-26-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:48 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,255,109 times
Quote:
Employers had better adapt to the employee's market, as it will likely not end anytime soon.
It will end when the next recession comes.

Every time employees start getting power, the economy conveniently goes downhill shortly afterwards.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,202,362 times
Hmmm.
  • Employers no longer want to spend on training and expect you to emerge from the previous job fully trained
  • Employers no longer want to pay for travel to interviews
  • Employers allow and promote hiring though really really unprofessional recruiters who try to cheat you out of every dollar they can
  • Employers have a whole bunch of foreign managers who (wink, wink, nod, nod) don't really know the laws they are breaking when interviewing, hiring, or managing employees and think nothing of asking a salaried employee to put in soul crushing hours
  • Employers are dropping retirement plans
  • Employers have always offered crappy fund choices in employee 401K packages
  • Employers don't give references anymore
  • Employers force employees to train their foreign replacement before they then can the employee
  • Employers have replaced many raises with "bonuses"
  • I don't know if this is a thing anymore but your path to management and better pay though the supervisor job is now gone - replaced by the "team leader" concept.
  • Employers want you all to be "salaried" so they don't have to pay overtime... "BTW, we need you to work another ten hours a week for the foreseeable future"
  • On the plus side, employers can be sued for badmouthing an employee (for now) - thus the no references and the ghosting attitude
Who here is really burning the bridge, what is it that an employee really owes to any corporation? If they want people to stop ghosting them, maybe they should start treating employees better again. Until then, they are probably reaping what they have sown.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-26-2018 at 10:41 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,966,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
Employers are quick to shout "at will" and they don't owe employees anything. Guess that works both ways.
Can't say I feel sorry for many employers with this ''problem''.

Many employers simply blow off many prospective employees following up post-interview. No courtesy letter, return call, message; just keep ignoring post-interview inquiries until the applicant gets the ''silent'' message and goes away.

Paybacks can be a b#tch.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:24 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,512,976 times
I see it all the time with the younger generation. Also quitting with no notice and no other job lined up. To me the companies started it. So many never acknowledge you applied, never call you back, never communicate after an interview or job screening. Also many interview without having a job opening. You call back only to find that they really like you but didn't get funding for the position, or might get it 6 months from now. Or they were just interviewing to see the current job market and salary requirements, but there was never a position to fill.

I also deal with a fair number of people who when they leave there is no exit strategy from the company. The employee tries to do the right thing like turning in laptop, keys, id, passwords, customer passon, etc....and no one seems to give a flip. No one shows up to take the items ....no one knows who is supposed to do it, etc.

It's just karma.....

Old 06-27-2018, 01:26 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,891,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Yes, very true, I agree. I guess I'm coming from the standpoint of mild to bitter on the venting scale. Maybe I shouldn't use the word venting then, but constructive complaining.
Illustrating how the "constructive" got in there might make your statement more valuable. I don't see it in the type of comments being discussed.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:50 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,891,253 times
It's been a long time since most companies sent rejection letters to job applicants being passed over so they should not be expected but it has always been particularly irksome if the applicant is told, at any step in the hiring process, that communication will follow and none does. If the company has no intention of communicating with rejected applicants it should make no such assurances.

On the other hand if that promise is made a few keystrokes can send letter R4 to applicant number G573 and in moments his or her pocket will buzz with the news that the Acme Anvil Co. no longer has a position available but will keep his resume on file should their needs change in the future.

In the opposite situation a contributing factor to new hires not appearing for work or bailing out after a short time is that they may have not had the experience of even menial work in the past; no part time jobs in high school, no summer jobs in college. No lawn mowing, babysitting, burger flipping or lifeguarding that might enlighten them with regard to just showing up on time everyday, doing the job and going home at the end of the shift rather when they felt like it. They might even find out that every job has its benefits and drawbacks before it costs them a "real" job.

The possibility that many of these new hires may still be living in their parents' homes makes it even easier for them to disappear if the shock of the workplace overtakes them.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:44 AM

1,082 posts, read 838,677 times
I know it's already been said, but with this day and age and online apps and never a face-to-face anymore, this behavior does not surprise me. It seems to me that the employees are not the ones being chickenchit here, but rather employers are starting to feel the loss of control they used to have. I used to be able to get a professional level job just by walking in and meeting the hiring or department managers. That was 10 years ago. You can't do that anymore.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,079,910 times
Quote:
Employers had better adapt to the employee's market, as it will likely not end anytime soon.
I remember reading posts here four-to-five years ago decrying the new normal of employees "begging" for jobs. Everything goes in cycles, and today's hot economy is no more fundamentally sound than the one right before last recession.

All we need is a trigger for all of it to change.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 AM

459 posts, read 623,913 times
I recently rejoined the general workforce after being self employed for many years, and I have to say the whole online recruiting system is a right pain to deal with. Uploading a resume and then still having to input all the same data yet again along with a thousand irreverent questions is hardly worth it for a tiny chance your paperwork will make it through all the filters. Seems much better to do it the old fashioned way, print it out and knock on a few doors.
At will works both ways and whilst I would not just walk out, I am sure there are plenty of reasons to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment