Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,491,902 times

Advertisements

Lol! Is that what it is called? One kid did this. He was terrible. He never called. My employer has to call him to find out he was not coming back. He was making $140,000. My job sucked so...

I honestly do not understand the fascination with millenials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 AM

34,089 posts, read 17,145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Lol! Is that what it is called? One kid did this. He was terrible. He never called. My employer has to call him to find out he was not coming back. He was making $140,000. My job sucked so...

I honestly do not understand the fascination with millenials.

you will soon, as middle aged folks like me retire, and they are all you have left

Old 06-26-2018, 05:38 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,229,896 times
Ghost postings were most common when the H-1b level was 185,000. Companies would post some impossible combination of IT requirements and would screen out Americans who met the requirements.

The posting would go something like this: Wanted programmer with 8+ years Visual Basic .net experience. That might work except for the fact that .net was out for 3 years at the time.

OR

Wanted COBOL programmer with OS MVS JCL, VSAM, DB2, with experience programming and networking Cisco routers. They add other absurd requirements if there happens to be a COBOL programmer with advanced networking experience.

What follows is a video of how a law firm instructs their clients on how to not hire Americans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Old 06-26-2018, 05:45 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,450,609 times
Oh god on my last job search I was ghosted so many times after interviews it was ridiculous. I'd say a minority of employers I encountered ever contracted me to let me know either way especially those who lied and said they would.

To quote Dr. Phil: you teach others how to treat you.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:47 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,229,896 times
There were some reports that the Department of Labor and the Department of Immigration ignored the H-1b limit during the administration of Bush Jr.. Reports placed the true H-1b level at about 250,000 a year. If only half of them were computer programmers that added a million computer programmers to the American job market during that period.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:19 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,779,643 times
Lots of bitter people out there. Doesn't matter how you think someone has treated you (unless they are doing something dangerous or illegal), ghosting a job shows a lot about who YOU are. I guess if you want to serve burgers for the rest of your life you will be ok, but most industries are a lot smaller than you realize and it will bite you in the butt

As for software companies sending you home the day you give notice. MOST still pay you for your notice period. It is a free vacation. They are not going to get a bad rep over 2 weeks of pay. My last place would pay people for 3 months to sit home and "tend the garden"

Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 AM

1,857 posts, read 838,782 times
After working in a company with a high turnover rate. I sort of see both sides of this. There where plenty of times (mostly with temps) where the employee would show up on Monday, be late one day or miss one day, and then never return back to work the following week. I've also seen where a company will hire someone to a certain job, but have them train somewhere else and then decided that there better off working at that location. In fact this happened to four people that I trained. My manager had posted a job in position A. Hired them in for position A and then had them join me at position B (less money) for a couple of weeks to see if they had what it "takes". After about a month my manager would inform the employee that job A was no longer needed. Out of the four: one hinted to the manager that they where looking for another job then gave a two week notice, one gave a week and a half notice, one informed his co-works a couple of weeks in advance, but told the boss he was going on vacation and never came back, the final one decided to join the one and a half week guy and left without any notice.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:01 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,072,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Too bad. Employers are just getting a dose of their own medicine. It is the new normal. Employers whining about it won't help.
I actually agree with this, and I'm an employer. Weak employers and employees will always overplay their hand. Employers did it between 09-14, and now it's employees turn.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 AM

78,550 posts, read 60,749,385 times
To me, it's going to boil down to a company and individuals reputations.

If a company has a rep for not treating employees well on the matter, word gets around. What comes around goes around.

Same is true for a 27yo employee "ghosting" and potentially hosing their co-workers in the process as well as the company.

A lot of younger people, especially urban are used to some degree of anonymity. As you get older, especially if you stay in the same field and geographic area that anonymity fades and can be either a boon or bust to future employment.

Steve ghosts at 27 from A company and 10 years later is applying at B company who looks at his resume and goes, "Hey sally, do you remember Steve from A company? You worked there at the same time".

Old 06-26-2018, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
I have not seen this, however I have found that when making a job offer, more people are delaying their response as if waiting to hear from another potential employer, and for my last hire the first turned down the offer. He did, however explain that he had already accepted an offer elsewhere. The best employees are in great demand now. Much like the current economic disparity, it seems that we are getting some really good candidates and some not at all qualified, very little in-between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment