Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,349,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Many people have horrible communication skills. You can be assured they most likely ghost, evade, lie and distort in their personal relationships as well. Just move along and never do him any favors ever again.
But was it a favor? Or maybe a presumption on OPs part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 03:28 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,382,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

if he didn't ask for referral, maybe the cold treatment is now you have his boss thinking he wants to leave when he doesnt
How would the OP's friend's boss know he was thinking of leaving?

Old 12-02-2018, 03:44 PM

2,121 posts, read 1,329,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Over the years I have recommended or facilitated quite a few RN hires at the Hospital.

To my credit not a bad one in the bunch...

What I have learned is the value of a job isn't what it once was and people come and go without much thought now... especially with low unemployment.

Mostly these were new grads... bright, eager and quick on the uptake.

The downside is none stayed more than 2-3 years... just enough to gain experience and prime them for work elsewhere.

Many, being young still had more to learn... they did well, with great reviews, training and pay bumps... but the pay is more in say San Francisco but it comes at a cost... either long commutes timewise and/or higher cost of living... it is something a person needs to realize on their own that $5 more an hour isn't necessarily better when you have to pay for parking, bridge tolls and spend 90 minutes more on the road...

Hopping from job to job is much more the norm and often it is totally at the employee's discretion.
I understand what you're talking about and agree with you totally. It's happening everywhere.

Hopping from job to job is the norm and the trend nowadays. Work, business, is all about money and bargaining. Employers want hard working employees and try to pay them as little as they can. Unless they cannot find the hard working ones or they face too many candidates who won't accept the low pay, then they raise the pay. Employees want to have a job somewhere that employers offer them high wage/salary and good benefits. That's the way it is, of course.

Besides, the young people learn from their parents, uncles, aunties, the generation before them, that when they worked hard and stayed in a company for a long time, they did not get a raise, had no appreciation and would be devalued, and they would be the first to be letting go when there's a change of management.

I don't blame this young generation. It's the employers and the management's fault. They are too greedy. And now they are facing the young and restless and the smart. Good for them.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,562,454 times
Except younger people today, millennials, do not actually job hop more than past generations at the same age group...

Old 12-02-2018, 04:59 PM

3,156 posts, read 1,614,210 times
Apparently, this person didn't want you to know he received a job offer and may have considered your checking back with him about the offer as overstepping. I am assuming he didn't want you to know he received a job offer because he didn't want to give you an explanation. Perhaps he didn't feel the company, boss, etc. was a good fit and didn't want to risk offending you since you are employed there. Ghosting may be his way of avoiding an awkward conversation about his reasons.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:28 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Apparently, this person didn't want you to know he received a job offer and may have considered your checking back with him about the offer as overstepping. I am assuming he didn't want you to know he received a job offer because he didn't want to give you an explanation. Perhaps he didn't feel the company, boss, etc. was a good fit and didn't want to risk offending you since you are employed there. Ghosting may be his way of avoiding an awkward conversation about his reasons.
My professional contacts and myself will message back that it didn't work out and thank them. I have moved on from $13/hr to $110k+/year without a degree. I never had to ghost my former colleagues. I run into them at my new places of employment. I am not surprised to hear the hiring manager mentioned my former colleagues speaking positively.

I am still surprised by people who work for 20 years, who have no former colleagues that would refer them. I learned why some people are avoided, as I get older. The longer I work, the more I learn about why others have a harder time finding work after meeting meeting more people and others have an easier time.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,562,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
How would the OP's friend's boss know he was thinking of leaving?
Grapevine... People are asked about sometime before the interview, any negative input means no interview

You guys think people don't talk? Even across industries, people have wide networks

And I said the friend may not have wanted to leave, but rumors of interviews may put that into his boss's head. So I asked if op asked if friend was good with referral or if he did it on his own

Old 12-02-2018, 11:56 PM

144 posts, read 129,905 times
To answer the recurring question in the last few posts, he expressed his interest to me. I ran into him one day, and after I explained my new job and what I do, he asked if there were any openings. He then asked if there was a person he should contact (my boss), and that is how it began.

I used to work with him at my former company. That company is a massive corporation with thousands of employees where people come and go all the time by choice. They don't look into employees getting job interviews elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment