Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times

Advertisements

Mrs. SportyandMisty never once made a mistake at work. She's perfect in every respect.

I once made a mistake at work. Then, upon further investigation, it turns out I was actually right in the first place. My only mistake was thinking I had made a mistake when I really hadn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 AM

926 posts, read 753,983 times
It's happened twice that I've referred to a customer's child as "she" or "her", when they were actually male. (Nobody's ever gotten upset/offended about it, but I definitely feel really embarrassed)

In my defense though, I will say that I made that mistake because the children in question both had long hair and androgynous facial features. (and the second child had a name that I've seen used for both males and females)

Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,198,947 times
Many years ago, I was in an "intense" meeting with my supervisor in her office when I glanced down at my wrist watch.

This instantly infuriated her. Yep, in hindsight, probably a BIG mistake on my part. But in my defense, it was a simple knee-jerk, defensive reaction from being berated by this fearsome, neurotic ...uh... woman. I didn't even know I'd done it till I saw the white-hot fury flash across her face.

Several months later I was in included in a big company layoff. Did that incidence have any bearing? I'll never know for sure, but it definitely didn't do me any good! Turned out well in the long-run because it released me from her evil clutches and I went on to a better job. I never before, nor since, had such a nasty boss as that woman was. She was also let go a month later. (Instant Karma!)

Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 AM

1,299 posts, read 824,760 times
I'm human, I make little booboos occasionally. Not too many that lead to bad outcomes, fortunately.

Way back in the 80s I worked at a photography store, developing film and printing photos in a machine. Once I was chatting with a co-worker while I filled the chemicals in the machine. There were three of them that the paper went through, and they had to go in the right order. I caught myself tipping the wrong container into one nozzle. I thought it was okay, but apparently I didn't stop in time - the photos started coming out all wonky. Fortunately it was the printing machine, not the one that developed the actual negatives. It cost the owners major time and money to clean out the machine and reset it. They were pretty mad, and fired me. It was not a place I wanted to be anyway, so I wasn't too sad about being fired. And at least I didn't ruin any client's negatives.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Many years ago, I was in an "intense" meeting with my supervisor in her office when I glanced down at my wrist watch.

This instantly infuriated her. Yep, in hindsight, probably a BIG mistake on my part. But in my defense, it was a simple knee-jerk, defensive reaction from being berated by this fearsome, neurotic ...uh... woman. I didn't even know I'd done it till I saw the white-hot fury flash across her face.
This is just so sad that somebody could get upset about something like that (not to mention, I can only imagine what the 'intense' meeting must have been about, I'm sure some corporate BS).

This post embodies corporate America so perfectly.

What a waste of our f@cking lives trying to appease bosses, clients, attorneys like this so we can make more $.

Seriously...

Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
Don't know anyone that doesn't make mistakes. We all do. They key is to learn from the more impactful ones so that you don't constantly repeat them. And not accepting that is an issue.

I make mistakes on a daily basis. If I don't, I'm likely sick and have been in bed all day.

But as mentioned above, nothing have resulted in me killing anyone or ruining anyone's life.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,627,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post

Several months later I was in included in a big company layoff. Did that incidence have any bearing? I'll never know for sure, but it definitely didn't do me any good! Turned out well in the long-run because it released me from her evil clutches and I went on to a better job. I never before, nor since, had such a nasty boss as that woman was. She was also let go a month later. (Instant Karma!)
That reminds me of another mistake I made many years ago at a previous job. It was a customer service job where you’re on the phone all day with a headset on. I was on a call with an unhappy customer who was complaining for a long time, and I yawned. I thought it was a silent yawn, but I guess the headset picked it up. So of course the customer didn’t appreciate that and she was like “AM I BORING YOU?” LOL I probably would’ve gotten fired from that job, but luckily I was only there for 6 weeks (and I was in a training class for the first four weeks) before I got hired somewhere else. I had already submitted my two weeks notice but at the end of my shift where the customer yelled at me for yawning, I just never came back. Oh well! lol

Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yikes! That was unfortunate.
Yes. I was working 6, 7 days a week, at least 12 hours a day. Some days I was like a zombie and it was bound to happen where I made a critical mistake.

Funny thing was, the manager didn't tell me I was being let go until the end of that work shift.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,366,247 times
Yesterday, my coworker and I were laughing so hard because we were basically dumb and dumber. We kept making stupid, silly mistakes (nothing serious, easily fixable) and every single time we thought we were getting it together ("Look at this thing we just figured out! We're so smart!") the next minute we'd knock ourselves right down. ("Didn't I just do that? How did I miss that thing? Are we on the right instrument?")

Then we said, "Maybe so-and-so (next shift person) will keep it together!" And then she came in and started telling us about her day, which included her forgetting one important thing after another. We just laughed and said, "Well, guess she's not going to help us, she is us."

No mistakes for us! EVER!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,627,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
It's happened twice that I've referred to a customer's child as "she" or "her", when they were actually male. (Nobody's ever gotten upset/offended about it, but I definitely feel really embarrassed)

In my defense though, I will say that I made that mistake because the children in question both had long hair and androgynous facial features. (and the second child had a name that I've seen used for both males and females)
I wouldn’t really blame you for that because it is hard to tell sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment