Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 09:50 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
or perhaps we have friends outside of work and choose not to have this type of banter with co workers who could get all butt hurt and then be miserable to be around 8+ hours per day? Having no personality has nothing to do with acting like an adult while you are at work.
They are barely adults, lighten up Francis. Young males keeping a boring job fun by razzing one another. I know, I know....YOU were never so "imperfect."

sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 824,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I mean, you told him you met on Tinder (not necessary) and then you told him he was ugly. So you "attacked" him personally and then you got mad when he "attacked" back?

Don't dish what you can't take. Don't engage with your coworker anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think you got in a pi$$ing contest and lost.

Let it go, you were both out of line.
100% both of the bolded.

It's not the most professional to be a little clique of macho young guys who razz each other, and it's exclusionary. But I think that's the whole point. At some point most men grow up and join the rest of the adults at work. Sounds like it might be time for you to do so, if you can't hack getting it back.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Oh please. Do you not have any male friends? This is how we banter with one another. I swear some people on City Data seem to have zero personality whatsoever. Lighten up!
On the contrary, I have a whole slew of male friends, and we all indulge in what is called over here, “digging out”, it’s not as malicious as banter, a word that gets a bad rap in U.K.
Someone will walk in the bar with a new haircut, and be asked, “Who cut your hair, Stevie Wonder?”, or someone will arrive in a new suit, and get accused of shopping at a thrift store.
What the OP described, is known here as “handbags, (purses), at dawn”, like pistols at dawn, but more girly.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:05 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
You have an anger management issue. You need to get some help and get a handle on it, because you're the one who's going to take the short end of this stick.

Why do you care what other people say so much?
Quote:
You overreacted. Beyond that, why wouldn't you just come back at him with "That's also where I met your mother!" Everyone would have laughed and it would be done; rather, you chose to get all uppity with him and now you can kiss the good natured joking and fun good-bye.

Or if you're not quick witted enough, just say "nunya." None of your business.
But don't get all offended, he'll know how to push your buttons next time.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:15 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
You straight up overreacted.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
While his comment was inappropriate, yours was more so. I wasnt there so I didnt hear Robs tone or observe his demeanor but I would've simply shrugged it off or maybe asked him why he thought that since he didnt know her and had never met her. Your comment was a little more personal I think. Calling someone ugly is not very nice. You let him know that he offended you and he backed off so leave it be.
Disagree. The other guy started it because it was clear where he was going with this. I'm going to hit on your girlfriend.

I never would have revealed anything, including Tinder, whatever that is. Not to mention her first name.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM

447 posts, read 208,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You all sound immature and if you always "joke and sh*t talk" then I don't see why this turn of events is shocking?
This. Also you called him ugly - even if it was a joke, no one wants to be called that. So he took it to the next level to get back at you and this was the end result when you all talk smack about each other.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americana89 View Post
Any opinions or advice on my behaviour and how to approach things moving forward is appreciated.

You learned a big lesson here. Remember it. Now, sit back and gleefully anticipate the day this guy gets his well-deserved humiliation in whatever form it takes.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:03 PM

11,140 posts, read 9,773,353 times
When the douche said "I would've matched with her for sure" or whatever he said, I would've immediately said, without emotion, "You're over the line there bud". And then whatever he replied, I would just have said, "You're out of line, leave my lady out of it." And then change the subject. Talk of this kind, women, Tinder, spouses, etc, at work is really inappropriate, and I think you just figured out why.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
Oh please. Do you not have any male friends? This is how we banter with one another. I swear some people on City Data seem to have zero personality whatsoever. Lighten up!
Who's "we"? My male friends are men, not children. I would never dream of telling someone I considered a friend that I would have totally met his wife on Tinder, or call them ugly through gritted teeth, or threaten them with violence, or do anything to have everyone in a "nervous/awkward laughter". Those things are done by adolescents.

If that's the type of behavior you consider "personality", I can only hope you're as young as I think you are and that you grow up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment