Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ha ha. Ever hear of a project oriented organization vs a matrix organization vs a functional organization?

I work in a matrix organization. Google it.
You are exactly right. I am guessing you are PMP certified.
Listen to this gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 03:54 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I disagree. Project management on a large project can easily become a full time job. If you add managing people administratively to that (hiring, firing, performance reviews, interpersonal issues, etc., etc., etc.) you're now doing TWO full time jobs; which means you're not going to do the best possible of either job.

Obviously if you only have two employees and one small project the above doesn't apply, but I'm talking about the standard situation in medium and large companies where there's more work than can ever be done anyway.
There’s solid line and dotted line. When I was a PM I had the consultants as dotted line.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:58 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
How can you get a PMP without being a PM? Years ago there was a requirement of # of hours as a PM to achieve certification - has this been waived now?
Yes you are right. I got certified maybe 5 or 6 years ago and at that time I was an internal auditor that lead a number of issue resolution projects and had to submit a long template of all my project efforts along with hours. As far as I know the experience requirement are still there.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes you are right. I got certified maybe 5 or 6 years ago and at that time I was an internal auditor that lead a number of issue resolution projects and had to submit a long template of all my project efforts along with hours. As far as I know the experience requirement are still there.
Thanks for clarifying. I believe there are also “continuing education” type requirements as well to maintain certification.

I took the training 20 years ago but never took the exam.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I believe there are also “continuing education” type requirements as well to maintain certification.

I took the training 20 years ago but never took the exam.
Yes there is. You need to do 60 Professional Development Units (PDUs) every three years. There are online courses for where you can get the PDUs. You can also attend conferences, write project management articles, etc.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes there is. You need to do 60 Professional Development Units (PDUs) every three years. There are online courses for where you can get the PDUs. You can also attend conferences, write project management articles, etc.
Certifications, unlike degrees, with expiration dates or annual CE (continuing education) requirements to maintain... I don't know how I feel about these.

I've looked at the prices to test for Cisco certs, as well as some lower level CompTIA+ exams, and they seem to start at a few hundred dollars and go up from there. It feels they are priced for individuals whose employers are paying for the exam.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It's funny to see companies way-undersized for hiring such positions doing so because they saw a larger company doing it. What could have been a "busy-work job" for someone's best friend, with little purpose, emulated because someone thought that's what they ought to be doing (without understanding why).
All of the smaller companies (max few thousand employees or less) in Silicon Valley are trying to copy every detail of Cisco Systems. Their org structures, their positions and procedures. They dedicated their hiring to that completely, when there are 2 candidates, one is experienced and talented but the other worked at Cisco, they hire the guy from Cisco, so they can steal more cisco secrets.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Certifications, unlike degrees, with expiration dates or annual CE (continuing education) requirements to maintain... I don't know how I feel about these.

I've looked at the prices to test for Cisco certs, as well as some lower level CompTIA+ exams, and they seem to start at a few hundred dollars and go up from there. It feels they are priced for individuals whose employers are paying for the exam.
You're an IT person. I'm a PM. The PMP is the industry standard, so I fall in line. I have no problem paying about $100 every three years to maintain. It is what it is.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:33 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So true.

If you talk to experienced engineers, one of the first things they tell you they HATE is when a project runs late, the senior management's invariable response is "let's have daily emergency status meetings that take three hours out of the heart of the work day, until the schedule delay is made up". If your organization has technical people doing project management (and it will usually be the most experienced people, the ones who REALLY need to put their heads down and concentrate on the problem), their constant attendance at status meetings will only slow down the work even further. The solution is to hand off all that management-managing work to the PM, so the technical people can concentrate on solving the problem.
The "problem" doesn't even have to be technical. Those user accounts I mentioned have to go through some other internal team. I have no access to create them. All I can do is route a ticket.

I let the vendor PM know that I'd inform them when the accounts are created. I got a "that's great" back. A couple hours later, the internal PM follows up with me asking if the vendor accounts are created. I told her I had no jurisdiction over that, routed a ticket to the appropriate team, and will follow up with the vendor once done. The internal PM demanded I follow up with her as well.

She has no technical background. She's been out so much that she's out of the loop on the project loop. She's not really managing anything - all she's doing is chasing me and the users on internal email threads.

There are less than a dozen people on this project - from internal IT, to the vendor, to the users. We don't need this additional noise.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
How can you get a PMP without being a PM? Years ago there was a requirement of # of hours as a PM to achieve certification - has this been waived now?
Not to my knowledge. It's a catch-22 in a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment