Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Employer requested you WFH because of coronavirus risk?
Yes, I've been told to WFH due to the risk. 2 5.26%
No, no discuss or options given. 32 84.21%
My idiot employer thinks everything in the news is fake. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 08:57 PM

319 posts, read 199,559 times

Advertisements

My department has been told to work from home until further notice. This will probably be for the next 3 weeks at least.

Our company has done a great job investing in technology so we're able to be 100% remote and get all of our work done. We use Microsoft Teams and OneDrive, and we all have company laptops that we took home with us.

So it's business as usual for us, just not in the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 09:55 PM

926 posts, read 754,675 times
I'm in a public library system, and while I think some in upper management might be able to do some things from home, most of the staff can't. (Among other things, our circulation system isn't set up that way)

Old 03-15-2020, 08:16 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I do security. The security I do is based on the clients work availability. If the client is suspending operations for 1 month what do I do? I can't work from home.

If I file Unemployment it will take 2 weeks to get benefits. And the benefits won't be nearly enough to cover rent much less buy food.

I wonder how it works for someone in a similar position... How does their car note/insurance get paid, etc. When their work stops through no fault of their own, is there some type of grace period until this COVID-19 gets under some control?
Well, I'm guessing you're "Crowd Security" and as such, yes, that's a bummer. But then age old advice is to always have 3-6 months financial backup for situations like this.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:42 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,403,407 times
Default How many still go into work/office every day versus moved to online?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people are still going in to work every day. I would think retail workers and healthcare workers are still going in, but wonder about business people who work in offices.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:05 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,409,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people are still going in to work every day. I would think retail workers and healthcare workers are still going in, but wonder about business people who work in offices.
I am. I work for a global organization and they have yet to tell us to work from home. They’re not even giving us the option.

Maybe something will change this week.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I'm in a public library system, and while I think some in upper management might be able to do some things from home, most of the staff can't. (Among other things, our circulation system isn't set up that way)
Public libraries seem hazardous. Anyone can go inside of them.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:28 PM

I am curious if any employers are requiring screening before you can go in to work, such as taking your temp?

Old 03-15-2020, 03:09 PM

1,485 posts, read 956,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, I'm guessing you're "Crowd Security" and as such, yes, that's a bummer. But then age old advice is to always have 3-6 months financial backup for situations like this.
That would be nice. But having financial backup for 6 months is a fantasy. Kind of like winning the lottery. Have a hunch there's gonna be a lot more homeless during and even after this crisis.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:25 PM

3,847 posts, read 4,452,656 times
Most companies I've worked for (including current employer) have tended to be real old school about WFH. I'm in accounting, and pretty much all the companies I've worked for had WFH capability, but it was restricted to bad weather/verified sick issues. So I was shocked when last friday a company wide email was sent out telling us to work from home till further notice. I really thought my employer would have to be dragged kicking and screaming, but they were remarkably proactive about this. Ironically, my brother works in accounting also for a big hospital in Dallas, who have actually admitted covid 19 positive patients, and they are still required to come in to work daily as of this time. Crazy.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:48 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,878,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I am curious if any employers are requiring screening before you can go in to work, such as taking your temp?
My company just sent out an automated voicemail alert to let the employees know they will pick up their equipment to begin working from home tomorrow. One of my coworkers texted me that she’ll bringing her son in then, since they announced school closings in our state just this weekend.

All those people in the building, not enough information, and some bringing random children who suddenly can’t go to school.

There is an awful lot of poor planning going on everywhere in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment