Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Employer requested you WFH because of coronavirus risk?
Yes, I've been told to WFH due to the risk. 2 5.26%
No, no discuss or options given. 32 84.21%
My idiot employer thinks everything in the news is fake. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 01:49 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,430,187 times

Advertisements

I made the decision to WFH and shelter in place starting on Monday. Today I went in to work and left with my desktop computer, all of my monitors, a table and some other things I'll need. I also took all of my personal things in the event that I eventually get laid off. Now my daily work commute will be 1 second long... from my bed to the table with the computer on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,406,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Just started a new gig shortly after the COVID-19 biz started, and wondered what it would mean to me. Sure enough, I get an email, we start the work-from-home thing TOMORROW. That's the day before yesterday. Got myself all set up, and began. I live in SoCal, but am managed from the Texas office, so there's no FtoF at all, and working from home, you can't pop into someone's office with a quick question. Oh, well, this is the new reality.
In my company, we have an internal messaging system to be able to send text messages back and forth. We've been using it for years, and it not only has cut down on people popping into your office, but it has also cut down on the number of phone calls to ask a simple question. Texting has really improved things.

Glad things are working out for you at the new job.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:40 PM

12,866 posts, read 15,185,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I would much rather work at home. My dream is to never work in public spaces again.
Oh same here 1000%! I've been working from home for the last 6 yrs now & love it & would never want to go back out there! I've been searching for remote work throughout the years way before I actually started too (while working B&M aka brick & mortar jobs).

And re: social interaction, I don't need that personally. Just allow me to earn a living. I don't have to see a soul while doing my work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Regardless of the coronavirus, we as a society need to push for more work-from-home opportunities. Any job that is not hands-on (as in you just come to the office to sit at a computer) can be done remotely. It makes no sense to clog up infrastructure every day with so much useless movement, when we have many pieces of remote technology. And if the concern is "well my employees would abuse it!" Okay, if they do, you deal with it the same way as any other underperforming employee.
I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
It is not possible to do the job I do at home. As essential staff in an animal care job, we report every day unless we ourselves are ill. Not everyone has a desk job.
True, some people's jobs just can't allow them to do it...even decades from now because they have to be hands-on.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:06 AM

5,158 posts, read 4,657,125 times
Default Will COVID-19 Cause a Recession?

Do you think COVID-19 will cause a recession? If it does, how easy would it be to find a new job when you're already employed?

Old 03-22-2020, 07:21 AM

12,336 posts, read 17,226,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Do you think COVID-19 will cause a recession? If it does, how easy would it be to find a new job when you're already employed?
Its already started one, with layoffs, business closures and an uncertain future. Depending how long this goes on there may be a strong rebound in a quicker amount of time but its too early to tell.

This came on fast and hard. With most Americans living paycheck to paycheck its even worse. Im hoping we come through this and peoples savings habits change. Perhaps people will realize you dont need a $60 brunch, a new phone every year or plunking down $100 at a swanky bar for instagram cred. Also its shows how fragile life is, and how we should treat each other better.

Today you, tomorrow me as its said. No one is an island.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 AM

4,427 posts, read 2,995,479 times
The consensus among economists is that we were already close to one before this and we will be in one, but should start to recover in a quarter.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:41 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,940,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
The consensus among economists is that we were already close to one before this and we will be in one, but should start to recover in a quarter.
Recovery on what basis? People will be declaring bankruptcy by early next year. Q4 shopping will undoubtedly NOT occur and be a non event. Hospitality/Travel/Tourism/Retail/Restaurants/Real Estate/Oil & Gas all are getting WRECKED .... The knock on effects to everyone else is catastrophic...

We can't recover in Q3 let alone by Q3 of NEXT YEAR... There is no rewind button... We can't undo this. This isn't Microsoft Paint 98' we are FUBAR...

The restaurants that closed , many won't be able to open again. The banks won't have enough money to lend to everyone that just got wrecked for 3 months of zero income. Many businesses will get the short end and told to file Chapter 7.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:02 AM

9,518 posts, read 8,555,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Recovery on what basis? People will be declaring bankruptcy by early next year. Q4 shopping will undoubtedly NOT occur and be a non event. Hospitality/Travel/Tourism/Retail/Restaurants/Real Estate/Oil & Gas all are getting WRECKED .... The knock on effects to everyone else is catastrophic...

We can't recover in Q3 let alone by Q3 of NEXT YEAR... There is no rewind button... We can't undo this. This isn't Microsoft Paint 98' we are FUBAR...

The restaurants that closed , many won't be able to open again. The banks won't have enough money to lend to everyone that just got wrecked for 3 months of zero income. Many businesses will get the short end and told to file Chapter 7.
Totally agree. This will be closer to a Great Depression than it will to, say, the '08 housing crisis/recession. I don't see these bailouts as doing much of anything other than postponing the inevitable, which is massive layoffs and more bankruptcies than this country can handle. The only glimmer of hope is a fast-tracked virus vaccine, but even fast-tracked it will still take a year or more to be rolled out to the public on a massive scale.

Your best bet now is to cut back on all unnecessary expenses and save as much as you can while you still have a job. If you do lose your job, the government will provide you UE benefits and they'll likely extend them for those in need but now is the time to act, not a month from now.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:10 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,169,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its already started one, with layoffs, business closures and an uncertain future. Depending how long this goes on there may be a strong rebound in a quicker amount of time but its too early to tell.

This came on fast and hard. With most Americans living paycheck to paycheck its even worse. Im hoping we come through this and peoples savings habits change. Perhaps people will realize you dont need a $60 brunch, a new phone every year or plunking down $100 at a swanky bar for instagram cred. Also its shows how fragile life is, and how we should treat each other better.

Today you, tomorrow me as its said. No one is an island.
What you’re ignoring is the jobs created by that $60 brunch and $100 bar tab are the exact ones you cite as being lost.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 AM

12,336 posts, read 17,226,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
What you’re ignoring is the jobs created by that $60 brunch and $100 bar tab are the exact ones you cite as being lost.
This is a good point. Im in a related industry though and still go out without spending that much. Point I was trying to make is that people spend way too much too regularly to keep up appearances. Good times can be had for less, or an occasional splurge instead of weekly for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment