Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 04:55 PM

618 posts, read 939,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Oh, no. First off, you knew that this job was one the incumbent found stressful, and other people tried and didn't like. They had no idea (or, wouldn't tell you) if there was any benefit to you in switching. Now you've tired it out, you're not sure if it's for you, and you found out that it's apparently because they want to transition the person currently in the position to your job? Is that their primary reason for offering you to switch? Just no. (Keep in mind, though, that if you go back to your old job, this person is probably going to be mad, because I'm sure they were glad to get out of that position.)

(I'm sure the "trial period," by the way, was for them to see if they liked you in the role, not for you to see if you liked it.)

How much does the other person make doing this job?

(And what's with them advertising for a job and then saying they don't want someone in it who doesn't already know how to do it? Who's going to know how to do it if they've not done it before?)
I dont know how much the person is currently making
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 05:48 PM

Adding salt to my wounds, i applied for a promotion which I was rejected. Now they are offering a lateral. Perhaps i can try to negotiate?

Old 07-23-2020, 11:06 PM

I personally think it was a bait and switch. The bait was that i didnt get the original job that was a promotion but they offered me this trial run. They switched it to just a lateral.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:15 AM

Interesting the other person appears she just jumped right into agreeing to my role. No trial run and she never asked questions about my role prior

Old 07-24-2020, 06:03 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Interesting the other person appears she just jumped right into agreeing to my role. No trial run and she never asked questions about my role prior
Yes, agree.

Also, as Rummage pointed out, it was very unprofessional for management to do this trial run with you into an undefined job that they supposedly didn't know much about. It honestly makes management look like idiots. It seems to me that there is an increased mean streak in managements nowadays along with no concern or propriety into looking respectable or even sane in front of their employees.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:58 AM

She may have asked questions directly to my boss and could have gotten what she needed. Either way it shows she was eager to switch roles. I have a feeling she knew a bit more all this time.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:54 AM

Another issue in all of this, the manager for the new position never reached out to me! I only had a conversation because I am the one that reached out! Does he not care who is on his team?

Old 09-19-2020, 08:02 PM

12 posts, read 9,317 times
It seems like a fly by the seat of the pants transition that caught both participants off guard. The trial run seems like it was completed successfully by the OP and that is why the offer. Laterals often times can lead to future new opportunities despite the lack of salary bump. But if it is a 1 to 1 switch then the high workload will remain for the OP to continue with.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:08 AM

Here is an update. I decided better not to back out of the position. I felt like I was not going to be viewed as a team player. I decided to roll with it. However, I did find another external job. The job pays 12% more and I like the duties. 2 things holding me back. The economy currently and the fact I will lose my years of seniority that I currently have with my employer. However vacation is the same.

But this new external job seems like a better opportunity of course who knows how this new internal position plays out. My trainer keeps mentioning throughout this transition that there is alot of work just like I have heard in the past. She says the work is for 1.5 people.

Does anyone have any further thoughts?

Old 09-27-2020, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 9,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Here is an update. I decided better not to back out of the position. I felt like I was not going to be viewed as a team player. I decided to roll with it. However, I did find another external job. The job pays 12% more and I like the duties. 2 things holding me back. The economy currently and the fact I will lose my years of seniority that I currently have with my employer. However vacation is the same.

But this new external job seems like a better opportunity of course who knows how this new internal position plays out. My trainer keeps mentioning throughout this transition that there is alot of work just like I have heard in the past. She says the work is for 1.5 people.

Does anyone have any further thoughts?
If you learn this new area perhaps you will be a strong force within your company? Knowing more than 1 function can be valuable despite the lack of an initial salary boost. It depends if you will be good at it of course. Perhaps the people prior to you taking the internal role were not as good as you will be? I am just playing devil's advocate. Its easy to be upset when there is no salary increase but perhaps at review time you will get a good raise for taking the role on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment