Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 05:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are many reasons to ban smoking on a medical campus, including oxygen in use, and patients with respiratory problems. Smokers should have the same 15 minute breaks and 1/2 or 1 hour lunch as everyone else, and go off campus to have a smoke, if time permits, otherwise wait.
My problem is that they leave us swamped with patient care so they can go and smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 05:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It's still nobody else's business.

Are you promoting the idea that the government mandate and control each and every facet of our lives, what time to go to bed, what time to wake up, what to wear, what to eat, what to drink, exercise periods, what to watch/read, etc.?

You can have all of that today...it's called a prison.

'Second-hand smoke' is not an issue outside...unless *you* choose to stand next to the smokers. You have a much greater issue with diesel exhaust from trucks, busses and other vehicles, and industrial pollutants.

As to the OP, at my job, *everyone* takes a break at the same time. Nobody gets to decide that they are just going to go off and have a smoke...including supervisors.
At my job, smokers can go on their breaks even while the sh** is hitting the fan. It puts a strain on the non smokers who have to take care of high maintenance patients while they are on their multiple smoking breaks.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:28 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
At my job, smokers can go on their breaks even while the sh** is hitting the fan. It puts a strain on the non smokers who have to take care of high maintenance patients while they are on their multiple smoking breaks.
Raise it with management - "If the smokers are out on their hourly smoke breaks, there is potential for danger to patients if there is more than one crisis at a time"

"Managers, I am sick and tired of picking up the slack for smokers. This is a hospital, there is no reason any employee should be out on a smoke break"

"Board of directors - smoke breaks are impacting patient care, can you help stop them?"

Old 08-02-2020, 09:31 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
I work in a hospital which is a non-smoking facility, but we all know how that goes. Anyway, I work with several people who smoke, and they go outside at least twice an hour and spend approximately 15 minutes each time on a smoke break. My question is, why is this acceptable? If I stated that I was going to take a 30 minute break once an hour, I would be given the stink eye and called into the office and told that I am allowed one 30 minute break per 12 hour shift. And yes, this has been addressed to to administration to no avail.
Go outside and pretend to smoke... ??

We have people who take breaks too... they don't work hours.. they work tasks.... so management doesn't care as long as they get their work done. We just let go of an individual on my team who was an under performer... he doesn't smoke.

Probably should just worry about your own responsibilities.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 PM

301 posts, read 164,763 times
Get a FAKE blunt and fake it

Old 08-02-2020, 10:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Agree, but it is completely Tolerated until I want to go outside to get a breathing break. That’s not tolerated
Yeah it’s tolerated because the typical “oh it’s just Harry and Mary taking their smoke break”. People are conditioned to tolerate it.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 PM

31 posts, read 14,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Sounds like a terrible place, if there are that many smokers, and they can get away with that.

There's something about most smokers that reveals how little they care (about their own health, their finances and how much money they waste, how easily and carelessly they pollute the air for others, etc.) Scum.
That's going too far.... very mean

Old 08-03-2020, 01:02 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
I would never admit it in public, but I would never hire a smoker.

We just never can get enough work out of them in a high paced office environment. They also seemed to take off more days sick.

And they also smell bad.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:38 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

We just never can get enough work out of them in a high paced office environment. They also seemed to take off more days sick.

And they also smell bad.
And would you confiscate their time-wasting Smartphone from them before they started work?

Old 08-03-2020, 07:02 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

And they also smell bad.

Why not admit it? They are not a protected class. I worked for a couple companies that had policies ranging from 'There is no smoking on our property (a 50+ acre fenced site with limited entry points) to 'We actively discourage smoking because of higher healthcare costs. We will pay for smoking cessation care once, but we do not allow smoke breaks' Both places covered smoking cessation under 'addiction treatment'

In one department at the first company they had a short problem with people using smokeless tobacco but that was quickly resolved. It just takes upper management that wants to make a smoke free environment work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment