Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 01:01 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchbot View Post
Vacation is just time off with pay. Travel has nothing to do with it.
Exactly, I had to cancel some actual travel that I scheduled before the pandemic, but I certainly took most of my PTO anyway, even if I didn't go anywhere. Over the summer I took every other Friday off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 02:17 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,363 times
When people refer to negotiating additional vacation time, they are usually talking about when you are starting a new job.....mostly a completely new company as part of the offer process but sometimes a new role/promotion within your current company.

For the reason you're talking about....I mean never say never.....but uh no. You did not lose your vacation time, you just chose not to take it. Why should you get more?

Old 01-13-2021, 03:32 PM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly, I had to cancel some actual travel that I scheduled before the pandemic, but I certainly took most of my PTO anyway, even if I didn't go anywhere. Over the summer I took every other Friday off.
I had, rather a bunch of us did, tickets for the Lake Placid Olympics back in 1980. We all had scheduled the vacation time months in advance and rented an RV when, a week before we were to leave, the company (a manufacturer) cancelled all vacations due to "production needs". So we were out of luck and money.

We all, as did a lot more people, got layoff notices that week due to a slowdown in business.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
You can always ask, but I can't imagine any employer I've had giving you additional time because of a decision you made to not use PTO because you couldn't travel. Most of the world has had to put off/postpone travel plans.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:10 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,531,035 times
It's all negotiable.

1 benefit I had when I worked for a major US defense contractor was to purchase an additional week of vacation. In addition to my 3 weeks paid, I had a small amount withheld each paycheck to allow an additional 40 hours vacation time per year. Each year I used all 4 weeks and would have used more if I had it. Looking back, that was a nice option for me.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:55 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You can always ask, but I can't imagine any employer I've had giving you additional time because of a decision you made to not use PTO because you couldn't travel. Most of the world has had to put off/postpone travel plans.
And some people don't get to travel at all, for a lot of reasons.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
It's all negotiable.

1 benefit I had when I worked for a major US defense contractor was to purchase an additional week of vacation. In addition to my 3 weeks paid, I had a small amount withheld each paycheck to allow an additional 40 hours vacation time per year. Each year I used all 4 weeks and would have used more if I had it. Looking back, that was a nice option for me.

Having to budget for your own vacation time is something familiar to most contractors.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:36 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
It's all negotiable.

It's only negotiable if the company allows for it. The last 2 companies I worked for had set policies. No exceptions and no negotiations.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:34 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Why do you think you are entitled to paid time off?

Not your bosses problem you worked instead of vacationing. It was your decision to volunteer to work. It's all on you.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:20 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
It really depends. And also please keep in mind that my working for somebody else expertise I
is about 23 years old. The first place I worked I got paid 52 weeks a year. They gave me two weeks off paid, but how they did it was “use it or lose it.” We also had paid sick time which was different. After so many paid sick days, you didn’t get paid if you were sick.

The next place I worked was you got two weeks off, you had to use it, it couldn’t be rolled. And it was required that you used it in one fell swoop. Working at a bank can be strange. The thinking was if you were doing any sort of malfeasance with the money, in the two weeks that you were off it would show up. That was the rule.

The next bank I worked at had the same rule. But, the longer you worked the more time you got off. I think at three years you got three weeks at five years you got four weeks. You still had to take two weeks at a time once a year. (I’m thinking that might have been a federal bank rule?) However your overage you could roll. And there were a small number of people who — with permission from their supervisors — over several years, rolled weeks of vacation so they could go take a long trip to Europe that was like six weeks. Now that meant the employee was there a long time to earn that. Long-term employees tend to be very good employees. And these things tended to be done just like once in an employment. It wasn’t like you could do this every year.

So, this stuff was spelled out in every single employee handbook I ever got. I never worked at a business they didn’t hand one out to every employee. With the exception of the business that my husband and I started, because we made the rules as we went along and it was just him and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment