Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 03:32 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

So, I am one of those people that refuses to travel for any reason until the virus is under control. When all is said and done, it will be 21 months and about 3 skipped vacations. What are the options for me to "make up" the lost vacations? Should I just stay in my current job until 2023, or are there other options? Are employers willing to negotiate more vacation days in exchange for a reduced salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 03:44 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Some may be willing but my response would be, "Nothing says you have to travel during your vacation".

Are you saying that instead of taking your vacation days you just worked them instead? If so then you've been "rewarded" by double pay or having them accrue.

Work has a flow that has to be somewhat predictable, you wanting more vacation because you "missed" it disrupts that.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Are employers willing to negotiate more vacation days in exchange for a reduced salary?
Most employers have unpaid leave options...

Old 01-13-2021, 08:34 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Are you saying that you are refusing to use your vacation time because you can't travel? If that is the case, and your vacation doesn't roll over, that is on you. Your employer doesn't have any obligation to make sure that you can travel.

Why are there three skipped vacations?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
If I were the employer, I don't see where it should be my problem to cover for your "make up" vacations. You can attempt to negotiate anything but if I didn't have work to be done and need you on the job doing it, I wouldn't be hiring you.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:46 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
Every employer is going to be different, we can give experiences but not sure any of us can answer your question accurately.

I had just passed 5yrs with my previous employer and moved up to 3wks vacation when I took current job. I tried to negotiate starting at 3wks with new employer but they said nope 2wks take it or leave it.

My current employer lets us buy up to 2 extra weeks vacation, so that is essentially reduced salary for more vacation. I usually do it, if you don't use it you get it refunded at end of year. Nothing to lose really. I haven't ever used it, but I like having it if I wanted it.

My previous employer also had additional vacation buy. But theirs was use it or lose it. They quit offering it because too many people were not using all their days then being mad they were out the money.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:05 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
So, I am one of those people that refuses to travel for any reason until the virus is under control. When all is said and done, it will be 21 months and about 3 skipped vacations.
Assuming by "skipped vacations" you meant you scheduled time off, but then decided to work instead because you cancelled your travel plans. Not sure how this is their problem. You could have had 'stacations', or just taken off work.

Quote:
What are the options for me to "make up" the lost vacations? Should I just stay in my current job until 2023, or are there other options?
Define "make up". You lost vacation time as they didn't roll over? How would this be different (in general) than any other time where you lost vacation as they didn't roll over?

Quote:
Are employers willing to negotiate more vacation days in exchange for a reduced salary?
In a general sense - anything can be negotiated during a job interview. And vacation is something that is often done along with salary, bonus, remote work considerations, equipment, etc.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:14 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Some people, mostly, but not entirely, in the public sector are allowed to roll some %age of their unused annual leave forward.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:49 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
So, I am one of those people that refuses to travel for any reason until the virus is under control. When all is said and done, it will be 21 months and about 3 skipped vacations. What are the options for me to "make up" the lost vacations? Should I just stay in my current job until 2023, or are there other options? Are employers willing to negotiate more vacation days in exchange for a reduced salary?
Many employers will give you time-off without pay. Some such arrangements are statutory such as FMLA:

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla

Quote:
The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:

Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
  • the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
  • the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
  • to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
  • a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
  • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
Twenty-six workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the servicemember’s spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave).
It sounds like your situation is not directly appropriate for the FMLA - wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

If you approach your employer about some incremental unpaid time-off to "recharge your batteries," you just might get a positive response. If I were your manager, I'd probably ask "how much time are you talking about?" If it were reasonable in the context of work projects, I sure wouldn't have a problem with it. If, instead, it would delay shipping a product and hence corporate revenue, then no-way.

Many employers accrue unused-yet-earned vacation as a balance sheet liability. When times are tough, the employer might ask employees to use vacation (rather than work longer/harder) because that makes the company's balance sheet look stronger.

Other employers do not accrue unused-yet-earned vacation on the balance sheet. Instead, the policy is employees have (for example) "about 3 weeks of PTO" and it is up to the employee & manager to keep track of the "about" and there is quite a bit of flexibility and lee-way available to the manager.

Which type of vacation/personal-time-off tracking system does your employer use?

Old 01-13-2021, 01:01 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:

Everything depends on company policy. You may get lucky or you just might be screwed like most employees during COVID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment