Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 09:26 AM

13 posts, read 19,854 times

Advertisements

So, I am a first year public school teacher in a right to work state, however in a pretty Red, pro-military district. I am looking at joining the (Air Force) Reserves to start earning some help for graduate school+getting my PPL.

Once I am IN the reserves, I can't imagine I have a problem, but it is the upfront BMT+Tech school training that may be an issue. Now, if all goes perfectly, I could do BMT fully in the summer break, but tech school could go pretty far into next semester. I've been told it is required of employers to let me go, and allow me to come back.

In my case I would presume it be a long-term leave from teaching... which I wouldnt be paid for of course, but during training I would be full time paid by military... and then I would just have a long-term sub for however long I am out next semester.

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this situation? If I can make the initial upfront training work, I'll be golden. I figure I am already at an advantage because unlike most jobs... I already get 8 weeks off AND it is not uncommon for teachers to have long-term subs. But I was wondering how this worked for other jobs? Are jobs required to let you go and take you back if you join the reserves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 09:44 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,104,140 times
I would talk with the HR people at the school system you work for. It has probably come up before. One warning Reserve service is no longer the 'a weekend a month and two weeks in the summer' it used to be. Depending on the unit and its mission they are regularly being tasked with 6 month (or more) active duty commitments all over the world on a regular basis.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:29 PM

50,880 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_Bug28 View Post
So, I am a first year public school teacher in a right to work state, however in a pretty Red, pro-military district. I am looking at joining the (Air Force) Reserves to start earning some help for graduate school+getting my PPL.

Once I am IN the reserves, I can't imagine I have a problem, but it is the upfront BMT+Tech school training that may be an issue. Now, if all goes perfectly, I could do BMT fully in the summer break, but tech school could go pretty far into next semester. I've been told it is required of employers to let me go, and allow me to come back.

In my case I would presume it be a long-term leave from teaching... which I wouldnt be paid for of course, but during training I would be full time paid by military... and then I would just have a long-term sub for however long I am out next semester.

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this situation? If I can make the initial upfront training work, I'll be golden. I figure I am already at an advantage because unlike most jobs... I already get 8 weeks off AND it is not uncommon for teachers to have long-term subs. But I was wondering how this worked for other jobs? Are jobs required to let you go and take you back if you join the reserves?
I haven’t done this myself, but I used to cover for another occupational therapist who was in the reserves, when he had to go away for his two weeks a year. I would assume they would do a long-term sub for you. But the other posters right, check with HR. I think you need a bit of a better idea though how long the schooling is.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:46 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,027,138 times
I suggest you read the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act as it provides all you need to know about federal rights when it comes to private/public employment and military services. It will explain what guarantees you have with your current employer and the steps you need to take to protect your employment rights when contemplating military service.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:33 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,104,140 times
Also is it Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard? There are differences. Also talk with the unit you will be joining. Find out what their operational cycle is. Will you be officer or enlisted? Will the field you are assigned in be related to your college coursework? Or will you be learning an entire new set of skills?

Old 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Your school district should have a policy on military leave and active duty obligations. You really need to check with your benefits manager.

Are you sure that you want to do this as a new employee?

Doesn't your employer help cover the cost of grad school?

Review the info Rabrrita mentioned and note the "escalator" principle.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:51 AM

24,628 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Can you elaborate about how AF Reserves help you with earning your PPL?

Old 01-17-2022, 08:06 PM

119 posts, read 59,440 times
Employers are required to let you go and take you back. You don't have a break in service or lose seniority. Check with HR and USEERA. However, depending on your career field you may be deployed more often.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:45 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Shouldn't the OP research the source for this information instead of relying on outside info?

USERRA - Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act

I did the reserves thing myself years ago. I didn't have to do basic/boot camp (prior service) so it was just a matter of signing up and doing the usual weekend a month, 2 weeks a year thing for a 2 year contract. Ended up getting orders for Iraq, was gone from my job for about a total of a year and a half. They were cool with it, and even ended up paying me the difference with what I was making from active duty (think it was for maybe for 4 months or something like that, don't remember). Came back from Iraq, took a month off, and then started right back at the job where I left off. One of the senior managers even took me out to lunch to thank me for my service. I was grateful for how they treated me, but after I came back I was done with the military.

This was however back in the early days of the 'war on terror' when there was some feelings of patriotism and companies I think were a little more understanding of these things. I know it's always easy to side with the military and bash employers who bristle at complying with USERRA and all. But unless one knows for sure they are working for a company that has a history of accommodating reservists or is pro-military, I wouldn't do it now. I don't think it's fair for employers to have to find a replacement, and then take you back.

One of my friends is about to retire from the reserves, but he worked as a correctional facility guard and they were very accomodating of his training as well as multiple deployments overseas. The OP needs to do more research obviously.

Old 01-18-2022, 05:01 AM

8,080 posts, read 12,799,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Can you elaborate about how AF Reserves help you with earning your PPL?
https://www.va.gov/education/about-g...ected-reserve/

I was curious so I looked it up. The OP could use the GI bill if they serve more than six years in the reserves. However, it doesn't appear they would pay for both a PPL AND a master's degree.

Depending on where the OP's reserve unit is there might be a military flying club that would offer reduced rate rentals and instruction. It isn't free but the discount would help.
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-St...riendly-skies/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment